1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bring on the Shrimps

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

I’m not sure I’m bothered about how the Edward’s signing panned out. Football is an ultra competitive sport on and off the pitch and everyone who enters the ring knows that. For that reason I have much sympathy for players putting their own interests first as no one else is going to.

the ‘Ipswich way’ of the last few years would have been to come off second best in every respect and I’m very glad that’s not us anymore.

San Diego likes this.
  2. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I can't really remember us ever having a good proper winger at the club even when we were good. Under Burely we used to play either CMs wide from time to time or wing backs (who could play in midfield). I guess one which sticks out to me would be Currie but he wasn't you're typical pacey winger but boy could he beat a player and cross the ball

3. Buckyohare

I think uhlenbeek, Petta and Reuser were all wingers? Gus defo. He did require some substantial time on the coaching side to make him an effective footballer mind.

4. itfcptc

I'm definitely in the guarded caution camp, until I actually see it starting to bare fruit on the pitch it will stay that way...which I haven't yet although there were green shoots against Morecombe it did require a last minute equaliser against a team likely to be in a relegation battle.

Perhaps not as negative as Hampy (although if we don't sign more CMs and CBs I might be) but I really have no idea where we are likely to finish we could finish outside of the playoffs but my one predictors is I at least think we'll finish top half.

I will say it does feel different this time and all the noises coming out of the club are positive but I pretty much heard this also every season under ME, I'd say 90% of us every season would predict we'd get promoted whatever division we were in, including the last 2 seasons when we've had the best squad in the division apparently (we've probably currently got a weaker defense than last season). Plus I remember the days when ME took over and appointed Keane and Clegg and the club were destined for the PL, it felt different we had money....it was a disaster and I have to say though recruitment this time feels so much more professional. The quality and type of player we've signed has IMO been exactly what we've needed and probably not been able to buy that type of player in terms of competing in the division since the Burley days. However I'm still yet to he convinced by the defensive recruitment, the 3 players we've signed for their age have made very few first team appearances.

Also there are some strong teams in this division who have a core of players who have been together for a long time. I've can't think of a team over the years who have invested well after rich benefactors come in (below the PL) and have instant success if any.

I'm optimistic for our future I just don't feel confident we're going to rip this league up...yet

5. itfcptc

Loved Gus but think he was more of a wing back, and Reuser could play on the wing but was also a forward. Petta definitely a winger though

6. itfcptc

Did you think the same under ME?....I have flashbacks of Roy Keane debates

7. itfcptc

It probably happens all the time with transfers, it just depends it its broken to the media, I get the feeling Cowley is trying to paint us in a bad light....Big spenders and ruthless...perhaps it's worked they got their man from Luton

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Uhlenbeek wasn’t even that good on the ball. He would often run to the line, fall over himself and put it out for a goal kick. He didn’t know himself which way he was going to go so the defenders couldn’t read him. But he always got to the line and caused absolutely havoc for defenders and made things happen.

9. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Yep 100% and i was wrong

10. itfcptc

That's as good as going to therapy for me <laugh>

Redruth likes this.

11. itfcptc

12. TopBunk

TopBunk Active Member

itfcptc, Bigalreigned and Nuggets like this.
  13. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Or walking out on your national side in disgrace?!

Nuggets, itfcptc and TopBunk like this.
  14. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Anybody got a link for the Newport game?

15. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

1-0 Newport

16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

You just couldn’t write it.

18. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

- Cook's results since taking over have been abysmal[

Half time, not good.

19. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Are we that surprised, 10 changes, a 2nd X1 of strangers. Saturdays League match we need to notch a first win.

20. Buckyohare

chill out. until we get some proper defenders we're not going to do well, not with a 4231 anyway. if there was no prospect of improving the team (defence) we'd be playing MM tactics but playing this attacking system is COMPLETELY dependent on a strong defence. which we don't have. but we will have. otherwise what's the point of having this manager, playing this system and attracting these players? Big Sam is always out there looking for work...We don't want that, if we need reminding...I want to see my club playing this system AND winning. And it will, but please don't turn on it after 2 games. keep the faith. two decent central defenders and we're in serious business as a football club...