1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bring back Roy Keane

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by gav81, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Lets hope he doesn't bring back the culture club that existed under Boy George.

Then again we already done that under M.U.S.T. - red, gold and green anyone? <ok>

2. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Keane still demands high standards

The Irishman’s mantra – work hard, play hard – preceded football’s age of razzamatazz, yet is as applicable now as it was then. They may never have shared a dressing room, but the standards to which Pogba and his colleagues aspire, which United fans are entitled to demand, were set in a time dominated by Roy Keane.

3. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Can't argue with that and would love a Roy in the dressing room now (even as a number 2) but as manager, no. Sorry.

4. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I have no idea what Gav's love affair is with Roy Keane. Of all the options in the world, why would Roy be first on anyone's list?

Mourinho, however, has become a liability. He is such a sad sod at the moment. Fkin annoying watching his interviews and moaning.

5. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Well, Fergie is the benchmark. So I profiled the characteristics that made Fergie special, compared other managers to that list, and Keane came out as the closest match.

Then I looked at Keane's management record and saw it wasn't bad - comparable to other top managers before they were given chances at big clubs.

Then I listened to this sports psychologist talking about the importance of club culture in long term success and realised Keane was a lead architect of the culture at United.

Then I looked at United's struggles and loss of identity under Moyes, Van Gaal and now Mourinho.

And I said give me United back, give me Roy Keane!

6. gav81

gav81 Active Member

It couldn't possibly be any worse than the last three managers - Mr Hopeless, Mr Sideways and Mr Defensive. And it might just be a lot better. We have a lot of talented players. A Keano rocket up the arse and freedom to play their game might be exactly what they need to show their best.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  7. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Come on, Gav! If Roy is so good, he needs to go and prove himself first.

You suggest Roy's record as a manager wasn't bad.. which means it wasn't exactly great either.

If Fergie is the benchmark (before he came to United), then Roy has proven nothing and is no where close to what Fergie was. Fergie was a winner before he came to United.

This thread should be closed because it is counter-productive and full of emotional fandom.

8. gav81

gav81 Active Member

Roy has proven all throughout his career and in management that he retains his hunger, winning mentality, he inspires and motivates those around him, demands discipline, control and respect, has the highest standards, gives youth a chance and believes in a positive brand of football - everything that Fergie's United were about.

If we use trophies as the yardstick then you are right. But the method is flawed since we can never directly compare a manager at a big club next to a small club. For example, what is the bigger achievement - Roy leading Sunderland to the Championship or United winning the Premier League? Roy taking Ipswich to the League Cup semi final or United winning the competition? It has to be put in context of the club.

Then there are managers like Conte, Simeone, Zidane and Guardiola who had records no better than Keane's before they went back to manage their former clubs with great success. They were hired because they followed the philosophies of those clubs; Juventus, Atletico, Madrid and Barcelona. Likewise Gattuso at Milan. The biggest clubs in the world understand the benefit of managers who carry their DNA, but it's not good enough for United? We have to be the stupid, rich boys who can't see further than a CV of non-related achievements and appoint whoever demands the highest fee?

How's that worked out with Van Gaal and Mourinho? It's destroyed us in a few short years; the identity Ferguson built.

Keane is the manager to bring back Manchester United. That's not fandom but the fact he's the closest match to Fergie's character, has legendary stature at United and understands what brought success here better than anyone.

Bring back the United way!

9. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

That must be why he is the bucket boy for Martin O'Niell then <ok>

10. gav81

gav81 Active Member

I heard he makes the tea..

https://m.independent.ie/sport/socc...else-do-i-do-not-much-roy-keane-36299961.html

But working with a top manager like O'Neill can only benefit Roy..

"I think it is terrific about Roy. He had some bad experiences as a manager but he is young. He went straight from playing with us, to Celtic, to manager. It’s hard that.

"Now he has got the experience of Martin O’Neill which he can lean on and learn by. And if he does come back into club football, he has got that advantage now. That is better preparation for him."

~Sir Alex

Now Roy is ready.