1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Brighton v Saints Saturday 24th August 3pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

BV; this is probably for me the big takeaway from the game. Will have boosted confidence alot to have won on the road and kept a clean sheet. Something for RH to work upon.

2. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

To me, I thought we didn’t play well at all. We were lucky that events conspired in our favour.

However, we won 2-0 and Sofiane and Moussa certainly made us excited about future games.

As Archers said, history will always show 3 points and a 2-0 win...you don’t get extra points for style and flair :)

Saints_Alive likes this.
  3. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

That's given me an idea. Maybe points should be awarded for style and flair, like in gymnastics. That would probably mean the end of the road for Burnley, but many supporters throughout the land would probably see that as a price worth paying.

4. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

Yes, but you will admit they did not say what you said they did? It is important that we maintain some accuracy when responding, surely?

I have no problem with those saying we should be positive after a win, but we also need to respect those who are more critical by not putting words in their mouths.

5. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

We were trash, we won 2-0, we move on.

I doubt the coaching staff are all sat around congratulating everyone on a 2-0 victory, they will be looking at the game and (hopefully) being pretty critical of the overall performance and looking at ways to improve.

......loading...... likes this.
  6. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

you don’t get extra points for style and flair :)
    ------------------------

Although the media are petitioning on Liverpool's behalf! <laugh>

7. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I'm not admitting anything, stop putting words in my mouth.

None of this is particularly important btw.

8. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

As i've said before, reliable and key players like Bedders, Valery, Romeu, Pierre and JWP have not started the season in their usual form under Ralph.
    We were second best in the first half, but a match is 90 minutes long and it's not how you start it usually it is about how you finish it and I trust our current Manager to work things out at H/T as he does regularly. The red card helped without a doubt but nobody can know if that was the only reason why we improved and won the match.
    Nobody can deny that our attacking options from the bench are vastly enhanced this season and that must be a cause for optimism moving forwad...oh and we have only played 2 away games and the Scousers at home yet, plenty of good chances for more victories in the future.

I did predict that some would complain about the manner of our victory but that's cool if their joyless souls can never allow themselves any pleasure...:cool:

Sorry Billy, live and let live (not saying you're one of them btw!)...:grin:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  9. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Got your ticket for Manure yet mate?....<cheers>

10. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't think anyone can say we're the finished article. Definitely still a work in progress. But I saw plenty of positives. We kept a clean sheet. Don't care about the circumstances that's always a good thing. Builds confidence in the defence. Djenepo obviously a big plus. Most pleasing was how sharp Boufal looked when he came on and his interaction with the fans afterwards. He looks like he wants to be here. The negatives are for Ralph and co to work on.

11. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

I'm not often offended by stuff on here so no worries.

I like it when we play well. I like it more when we win.

If we play well and win I like it the most.

Archers Road and Saints_Alive like this.
  12. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Who is complaining about the win?

I don't think we were that great against Brighton, but I thought there actually were some positive signs even before the red card. I thought our press looked a lot sharper, and there were two occasions where you could see how effective it can be. We were applying moderate pressure to force the ball into some kind of trigger, and then we suddenly swarmed and we won the ball in a dangerous position.

I think the major reason we looked bad for long stretches was that we had an uncharacteristically bad showing from our midfield, which is not something I'm particularly concerned about at this moment because they're usually okay.

But it is what it is. I can't say we're going to tear defenses apart this year when to date we have torn apart zero defenses. And I feel like we still have problems when we aren't taking advantage of a quick counter. We had a couple of moments where I felt like I could see "Oh, that's cool" but still also a lot of moments where we were pretty blah.

Our attack last year was putrid. This year, it could be league-average though that might take some time. I also feel the same about our defense. And if you are average on offense and average on defense, then you have hard-battling midfield and a manager who knows what he is doing... that's a pretty solid mid-table team. So maybe we finish around 10th. I'd be quite pleased with that, I think we'd all call that a successful season.

If our attack ends up being awesome, I'll certainly be happy to be wrong. But I just think it takes time, especially with some younger players and new players and Hasenhuttl's complicated 4-2-2-2 scheme that really requires the attackers to play as a unit. I'm actually happy that Hasenhuttl is thinking long term and trying to build that system even if it leads us to being less effective initially.

I'm not upset about anything. I think we had a decent window, and I'm already on the record as being a massive Djenepo booster. And I've always liked Ings. Redmond has turned into a consistent threat now. We have the pieces, we just need to be patient with the process. And we don't need to tear defenses apart anyway. I don't think Hasenhuttl's tactic is really built that way. It's the 5-6 non-defenders working as a unit, winning the ball early, and scoring quickly. So if we do score a lot, it's going to be more due to the press than attacking magic.

I think ideally we look a lot sharper this year, but don't quite hit our stride until late in the year. Which is actually good because it means no one will poach our players. Then we add a few players in the offseason, everyone hits 2020-21 already familiar with the system, and we could challenge for top 6. Ideally. That's a lot to ask, but it's doable.

Basically, it's been 3 games. 3 games where we've taken 3 points. It's way too early to predict that we will either be tearing defenses apart or hopeless and relegated.

13. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

My issue with Saturday’s performance was the lack of control we had in midfield and over the ball.
    Even with 10 men Brighton were cutting through our midfield, mainly IMO, because we were using the 4222 formation and I’m not sure that the wide two (JWP and Redders) were in the right positions to help the central two, often being wide and in advance of the deeper two, gifting clear passing opportunities to the Brighton wide players overlapping them, that wouldn’t have been there if we were playing a flat 442.
    51%possession to the 10 men tells a tale, and confirms we weren’t controlling the game.
    But 3 points are 3 points and I would settle for the same on Saturday.