1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Brighton v Saints Saturday 24th August 3pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

He would have thought it was a basket case.<laugh>

2. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

It's all still just messages sent from a higher being!....

3. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Came home from 10 days down in deepest Devon and watched MOTD (safely as I had seen the result :emoticon-0103-cool:).
    Glad to see that Boufal (that crap player some people wanted sold) made the 2nd goal by terrorising defenders as we know he can. Hope he gets a decent run out now. With players like him, Djnepo, Redmond and Long, we could really tear teams apart if they leave gaps at the back!

Brinkworth Saint likes this.
  4. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Yeah, our attacking options are starting to look very exciting. We lack a bit of guile and quality in midfield, and probably best not mention the defence at all, but I think we can expect to be entertained a fair bit this season.

Having recently been more than happy to see Boufal leave, I am now convinced that he is actually Pele after all.

5. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

I dunno, man. We've scored two goals 11v10 and one goal on a howler. We can maybe give Djenepo credit for a totally legit goal that just happened to be scored 11 v 10, but that's still only one goal.

I do think we have enough pieces now to be decent at scoring, but it could take us awhile to figure out the right combination of players. And even then, I don't think we'll be tearing too many teams apart. We'll probably just be average-ish as opposed to hilariously awful.

Romsey_Saint likes this.
  6. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I thought the rules about injured players, receiving treatment, had changed this season, as in they didn’t have to leave the field of play if the person causing the injury was carded for the offence.
    Maybe I imagined this as I haven’t been able to find a reference to it, but I was surprised to see Valery leave the pitch after that tackle.
    I am sure one of our resident referees can shine a light on this.

7. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

I'm not referee but I can make it up as I go along if that helps.

Osvaldorama likes this.
  8. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

You sound exactly like a referee

9. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Spoken like a true supporter :steam:

10. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I think he is Pele and Pelle

Archers Road likes this.

11. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

Agree with this. We looked utterly clueless when we gad the ball in the first half. The red card was the game changer but even afterwards we were being outplayed for much of the game. The first goal should have killed them off but they still threatened, hit the woodwork, could have had a penalty for handball and then we got a second that had all to do with an exhausted 10 man team, playing for an hour in high temperatures facing three pacy subs, than any particular brilliance by Saints.

Two away games, so far, that we have failed to perform well. If l were RH l would be wondering what needs to be done to get us playing more like we did against Liverpool when away from St Marys.

Great that we got 3 points, but this was against a 10 man Brighton team for 60 mins; who were the better side for probably 75 mins.

12. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

And life or football doesn’t work like how it should.

We should have got a draw against Liverpool, and probably deserved it.

We should have beaten Utd in the league cup and deserved it.

Brighton played better in one game. We won 0-2.

There was likely a confidence issue in this game, winning does something for confidence...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  13. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

So the consensus is, that if we hadn’t scored 2 goals, and they hadn’t missed some, we might have lost the game?

Blimey!

14. Archers Road

I think the consensus is, we should be comfortably beating teams like Brighton, even away from home. Which apart from being completely unrealistic, also shows a lack of respect for the opposition.

15. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

For some people it's probably that. I think most people are just disappointed by the performance which is fair. You can be pleased to pick up the 3 points but still think we should have performed better.

Romsey_Saint likes this.
  16. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

Pretty sure what they were saying was that we didn't play very well against ten men for long spells... Did not see any reference to comfortably beating Brighton even away from home.

I am not saying I agree, as beating ten men can be difficult, but let's not invent opposition arguments which simply haven't been made.

I'm fact, scrolling back through the offending posts, the headline quotes for me would be "average-ish" and "10 man Brighton... Better side for probably 75 mins" .

Romsey_Saint likes this.
  17. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I remember that 'rule change' as well....so you aren't imagining it. Perhaps it wasn't agreed upon or perhaps it was trialled and then deleted this season.

18. Archers Road

The headline in my head is “We Won 2-0.”

If some posters want to concentrate on the negatives in those circumstances, I am not offended. I just wonder how they’re going to get through the rest of the season.

19. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

For me, Saturday was dual of fates.
    Had Andone not had that massive brain fart and screwed his team over, then we might well have not got to see MD & SB work their magic. We may not have lost anyway 11 v11, but it certainly panned out perfect for us. Not concerned about playing bad and winning, I've seen us play some great stuff and lose plenty of times. All I want now is we kick on. No-one's place in the team is safe, graft is the minimum requirement.

20. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

Regrettably what happens on site is that to structure comments along the lines that its great to win but we didn't play that well, whilst factually correct, is construed and presented that the poster as being negative or having a meltdown. The result is an unreasonable attack on the persons credibility. Very sad, that some on here revel, in such behaviour.