1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Brighton v Pompey - Carabao Cup 2nd. Round

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, Sep 17, 2020.

1. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

Having watched the replays - a yellow card with a distinct tinge of pink!
    Late and callous.
    Hopefully a one off rush of blood and not typical of the player,

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  2. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  3. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Marquis and Veltman were both booked for fouling each other. There appeared to be a "running battle" between the two of them !

pompeydownunder likes this.
  4. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

The match was shown (not live) on Aussie TV so a rare opportunity for me to watch the whole of a Pompey game.
    Going to school in Worthing, Portsmouth and Brighton were the two nearest league teams. Because Brighton was nearer it had more local support putting me into the minority of Pompey supporters. 60 years on I still get a feeling of defensive indignation when Pompey lose to Brighton!
    I watched the game after knowing the score and reading the reports. While 4 -0 is an undoubted drubbing it was not as bad as the score line indicated.
    The turning point for me was when Harness, have lost the possession that led to Brighton's goal , had what appeared to be a goal bound shot inadvertently blocked by an injured Brighton player laying on the ground. This is not to say the result might have been different but the score could of been less harsh.

Pompey had their four best forwards playing in my opinion in Curtis Harness Marquis and Williams but there appeared to be little chemistry between them. Perhaps Curtis Harness and Williams are all too similar in style. Perhaps Jacobs will be the answer. However, I hope his inclusion does not come entirely at the expense of Harness who I rate highly.

Morris is a work in progress given his long injury lay off but at this stage he does not appear to be an improvement on Close. He is stronger on the ball than Close but appear, at this stage to be more conservative in his distribution. Close also had the occasional goal in him. Not withstanding the arrival of jacobs I have pondered how Close would go in the more attacking mid fieldrole (i.e .No 10).

Having given an indication of my age above I should comment on two Pompey players who have passed recently and I had the pleasure of watching - Cyril Rutter and Ray Hiron.
    When Pompey were relegated from the 1st Division they had two right backs - Phil Gunter and Cyril Rutter. Both could also play centre half. (that was the era before there were two central backs.) Phil Gunter was a well regarded 1st division player and an England B international. He appeared to be the natural first choice at RB.
    However, Gunter did not have a good relationship with the manager George Smith. When Rutter played he appeared to be a class below Gunter. However, he had the priceless asset of rarely making a mistake so, once selected was hard to shift. When Pompey were relegated to the 3nd tier and bounced back immediately Rutter must have been an almost ever present selection. Both Cyril and Phil always conducted themselves immaculately.

Ray Hiron had his better career moments after I emigrated in1973. Prior to that he had lived in the shadow of Ro Saunders and, to a much lesser extent, Ray Pointer.
    I do remember him a s a whole hearted player, tall and lankey - in contrast to Saunders who was very short for a centre forward.(although Saunders headed a lot of goals). His inclusion in the Pompey hall of fame is testament to his persistence - among other attributes since he certainly was not an instant success and was on the first team fringe for some years. Again a player that always conducted himself well.