1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Brian Moore Stand Temporary Licence

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, May 20, 2018.

1. brb

brb CR250

Am i right in thinking that the temporary licence for this piece of junk must be near renewal...surely it will not get another extension, it's an embarrassment to the club and the name of the great man attached to it.

Note the part highlighted below from 2013...

Application Type: Full Application
    Date Received: 21 / 02 / 2013
    Registration Date: 06 / 03 / 2013
    Consultation Start Date: 06 / 03 / 2013
    Consultation End Date: 03 / 04 / 2013
    Target Date for Decision: 05 / 06 / 2013
    Location: GILLINGHAM FOOTBALL CLUB, PRIESTFIELD STADIUM, REDFERN AVENUE, GILLINGHAM, ME7 4DD
    Ward Name: Gillingham South
    Sub Area: Not available
    Conservation Area: No Conservation Area
    Listed Building Grade: Not Listed
    Environmental Assessment: Not Applicable
    Target Recommendation Date: No date
    Expected Decision Level: Delegated
    Easting/Northing: 578284 / 168135
    Statutory Class: Other Small Scale developments
    Proposal: Application for retention of the football stand positioned at Brian Moore end of the ground (Priestfield Road) for five years
    Case Officer: Mark ******
    Case Officer Tel: 01634 ******
    Case Officer Email: ******@medway.gov.uk
    Agent: Mr M ******
    Design Studio, Priestfield Stadium
    Redfern Avenue
    Gillingham
    Kent
    ME7 4DD
    Case Type: Planning Applications
    Applicant: Mr Scally
    Gillingham Football Club
    Priestfield Stadium
    Priestfield Road
    Gillingham, Kent
    ME7 4DD
    Press Date: 18 / 03 / 2013
    Site Notice Date: 13 / 03 / 2013
    Neighbours Responses Received: 2
    In Favour: 0
    Against: 2
    Comments: 0
    Petitions Against: 0
    Petitions For: 0
    Officer Site Visit Date: 13/03/2013

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    grumpygit likes this.
  2. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Good to see you're on the ball @brb I've taken a look on the planning pages of Medway Council and there doesn't appear to be any new applications made at all. Not for a retention of the temporary stand nor the building of a permanent structure. I certainly feel if nothing else, a full health and safety check will need to be completed on the BMS. I think it's fair to say that after 15 years, this temporary structure is unlikely to be in as good of a condition as it was when it was first erected. 15 years of wear and tear of opposing fans and various weather conditions may have taken its toll underneath so I hope this is fully looked into as to whether it is still safe.

This could cause to be problematic if nothing is done quickly otherwise we may only have three open stands for next season.

grumpygit and brb like this.
  3. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Only 3 stands open <doh>
    How will we fit everyone in. :emoticon-0136-giggl

The Gills PegLeg and brb like this.
  4. brb

brb CR250

Joking aside for a moment;

Didn't we cancel the Blackburn game due to climate factors and along with of not being able to accommodate them elsewhere in the ground. If i remember from reading the clubs responses via the Lancashire Post.

Several games next season will attract large visitor following, which means we would have to accomodate that following. That's all well and good with a few hundred supporters but a few thousand will become a problem, especially when you include segregation (re first paragraph) Charlton and Sunderland as examples.

We could give them the whole of the GRS but that contains some of our most loyal ST Holders as well as being a risk of pitch invasion due to its ground level nature (Brackley).

The BMS serves a good purpose in segregation, if it is closed our stewards are going to be busy.

Oh hang on, aren't Medway Council our new sponsors <whistle>

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  5. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

If we are putting joking aside then just rip it down!
    As a league 1 team we are perfectly within our rights to have it as a standing area.

brb and alwaysright like this.
  6. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Good points, grumpygit.
    Last season the average attendance for home games was 5369 ( 46% full ). This included only 3 games with a 'large' number of away fans - and MANY freebies -- goodness knows what the REAL average was when all the freebies were not included !
    I don' t think it would be fair if the GRS was to be exclusively used for away fans - it would not make sense for such a few games - not to say also, the unfairness towards the Gills fans in the GRS - ( including STHs ) - but I don't know what Scally can do if the BMS doesn't get a safety certificate. ---- with hindsight, I don't know why we didn't just 'bolt on' seats to some of the terracing at the away end - there are plenty of grounds that have this type of seating.

brb likes this.
  7. brb

brb CR250

9 days left, before we only legally have 3 stands, according to my sources <whistle>

The Gills PegLeg likes this.
  8. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Dont panic Mr Mannering sure be done before new season

9. brb

brb CR250

Can it, i thought planning permission was 8-12 weeks?

In 2013 it was submitted in Feb in prep for the new season. Unless Medway Council will prirotise our submission being our sponsor?

It could well be complete for the new season but can it be complete for the home start, just hope we don't start our first couple of games against one of the sides with a larger following.

That's all assuming permission is granted!

10. Waldogills

Waldogills New Member

Renewal of a temporary planning permission is not actually a big deal in planning terms. Even if a new permission is not in place for the start of the new season, there is nothing in law that would prevent the use of the stand until it is in place. Retrospective action on issues such as this are quite common. In the past, I had quite a lot to do with the planning process and often had to seek temporary permissions (sometimes late !). I note that the last time it was renewed there were two objections so it's hardly likely to be controversial. The only time that planning authorities get nervous about renewing temporary permissions is when they would prefer a permanent structure. However, because of our long term ambition to relocate, that won't be an issue.

brb likes this.

11. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Waldogills
    I wish I could feel comfortable about retrospective planning permission. I would assume that each season the structure of the BMS is closely examined with regards to its' safety ----- and you'll probably tell me that this issue is separate to any grant of planning permission - BUT - I would suspect that a safety certificate is the very minimum requirement for planning permission - AND - can you imagination the consequences if, despite any safety inspection, if there was an accident prior to the grant of retrospective planning permission ? - Scally definitely wouldn't be able to sell enough season tickets to pay for lawyers !

brb likes this.
  12. Waldogills

Waldogills New Member

The safety is a matter for the licensing authority which from memory involves the Council, the club's safety officer and the police. Any temporary structure will need certification either annually or possibly bi-annually. It's not a published matter but it's like the rest of the ground's safety which includes things like fire exits being unblocked etc. Planning is indeed completely separate from the issue of safety and no a safety certificate has nothing to do with whether the structure gets renewed permission or not.

brb likes this.
  13. brb

brb CR250

Genuine question. Use without agreed extension of the planning permission, what affect if any would that have on public liability insurance?

14. Waldogills

Waldogills New Member

In my experience, none whatsoever. They're completely different issues. Lack of planning permission doesn't make a building "illegal" per se. After a fairly convoluted process which involves prior discussion with the owner, enforcement action for its removal could in theory be taken. That's highly unlikely in this case given that all that would be needed would be a retrospective application to regularise the situation.

The Gills PegLeg and brb like this.
  15. brb

brb CR250

Fair enough, thanks for answering my question.

16. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Hi Waldo, thanks for taking the time to come over to the not606 board from Vital to answer these questions for us. Certainly makes it less to be worried about having some clarity from someone who has experience in this field.

brb likes this.