1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Brexitexit?

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Big Ern, Oct 16, 2017.

?

Will Brexit happen

Poll closed Oct 30, 2017.
  1. Yes

31.6%
  2. No

26.3%
  3. **** off to the politics thread

42.1%
  1. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

I'm not buying the years of hurt and doom, we will get somewhere in between what we want and what they want to offer us but we can certainly bridge any gaps imo.

I'm optimistic and will remain so for a long while yet.

DMD likes this.
  2. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

As soon as they make a UDI, I think we ought to recognise Catalonia and offer them a free trade deal. That should put the cat amongst the pigeons and piss off the dick fiddlers in Brussels.

Of course Brexit will happen, whether it is a good clean brexit or a watered down pseudo brexit remains to be seen. However, our dire leader should get her arse into gear and offer Europe a take it or leave it deal. They take it or we walk away.

We have nothing to fear, as I've pointed out many times before, our currency has fallen far enough against the Euro to cover the cost of any tariffs that would be imposed. I guess it could be argued that Britain walking away could send the Euro into free-fall because it would leave a big hole in their budget, which in turn would impinge on British exports, but I firmly believe that Merkel and Macron are so far up their own arses that they would just raise finances, probably by taxation, possibly by borrowing, to plug the hole. Neither would be comfortable seeing the Euro plummet on their watch. A good deal for Britain is a good deal for the EU, no deal causes them far more problems from a financial view-point than it will cause us. They know that, that's why they want a financial settlement before they are prepared to talk about anything else. We should be in the driving seat but our wishy-washy government look like they might just manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

DMD likes this.
  3. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

I agree, but......

NSIS and/or Tobes in

DMD likes this.
  4. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Yeah, that'll teach 'em!.

They'll be so scared they'll just cave in it whatever we want? It'll be just like the good old days!....

Not!.....!

5. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Other than the contrary fairy naysaying, the main thing which is a tad annoying from NSIS and Tobes is this narrative of British flag wavers and English Imperials and whatnot.
    Pete Saxton is not indicative of all Leave voters.
    I am sure there are some doddery old stupid ****s that voted leave for that reason (seen a couple on the news, "Ahm Votin' leeve cos o'da Mooslims ennit! S'all abaht da mooslims")

But they dont speak for all 17.4m Leave voters.

DMD likes this.
  6. deedub93

You normally put up a reasoned argument, why not take my points and try to counter them? I firmly believe that they have more to lose than we have.

7. deedub93

You normally put up a reasoned argument, why not take my points and try to counter them? I firmly believe that they have more to lose than we have.

8. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

How? . They hold all the cards. It's their club and we want to leave and still tell them that we want all the benefits of membership, but don't want to pay for it. We also want to pick and choose which rules of the club we like and ignore the ones we don't.

Our contribution will be missed. But there are 27 other members to share the burden of the missing amount. It is the UK that will suffer from reduced trade, more difficult trading conditions. The fact that many essential EU workers are already leaving a place that's made it clear they're not welcome.

Depending on what colour Brexit we get will determine the extent of the economic damage. The course we're on right now would be disastrous for the economy.

Three is zero doubt who has more to lose, and it's not the EU. They'll regroup and carry on without us. It's us that'll be left out in the cold.

9. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

1. Just with cursory Tariffs 101, the tariff sabre-rattling is obviously
    nothing more than EU politniks attempting to save face over who
    "wins" the separation (neither accrues commercial/economic
    (dis)advantage in reality) .

2. Is the "divorce bill" stuff in the public domain yet ??

Lots of scientists/engineers out there ready to do method
    corroboration/repeatability, methodology, parametric
    value variation etc.

10. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Yeah poking our nose into Spains domestic issue will be a real help during the trade negotiations with the EU, great idea <doh>

The pound would crash further with a hard brexit imo, and we operate with a trade deficit with the EU so inflation would continue to rise here, the 3% in a stagnant wage economy is already starting to bite those close to the breadline. Yesterdays FCA research into the state of the average British households accounts was truly frightening, try taking a look at it. https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...financially-vulnerable-fca-interest-rate-rise

As for the hole in the EU budget - £8BN - once we actually stop paying, and what? Divided by 27 that's relative peanuts, and they could just scale back on the projects planned in the next cycle by an equivalent amount. Where's the 'hurt' there?

11. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Loads of 'me mate. Immigration was given as the number one reason for people voting leave!

12. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Right...and?
    So anyone concerned about immigration is racist?

DMD likes this.
  13. deedub93

That's better, at least an argument. However, the EU is not a club of 27 net contributors. It is a club of a few net contributors and a whole bunch of net takers. That I itself is not a major issue, the sentiment is that one encourages the poorer nations to develop their economies so they eventually become net contributors, very noble indeed. Unfortunately, the club is run by a whole bunch of self-centred politico's in Brussels who are doing very nicely thank-you and are unwilling to change. They also appear to want further integration (more power) so they can expand their little empire.

I work in Africa and have to do business with most counties in the world. I do less business with the EU than the rest of the world because of red tape and associated costs. In fact, in the last five years the only time I have done business with UK companies is either 1) since the Brexit vote, the fall in the pound has made the UK more competitive and 2) via Caterpilar in the US who source certain bits of plant from Northern Ireland.

What I think one will find is that companies in other countries will very quickly find that it is worth doing business with the UK once the shackles of the EU have been removed. We may sell less to Europe, but there is more to this world than Europe, a bloody lot more! We will not be left out in the cold, in fact there are a lot of warmer parts of the world from a business perspective than one will ever find in Europe.

DMD likes this.
  14. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

No, but I think it's fair to say there's a fair bit of overlap. Those with the greatest concern tend to be those who are least affected by or have the least contact with immigrants.

15. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Could you give some examples of red tape and associated costs please, Deedub?

16. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

No idea how you would come to that conclusion at all, or how you would quantify that.

Just because you don't have an immigrant living next door doesn't mean it doesn't affect you.
    I personally think our immigration policy is not too bad, compared to other EU countries (Like Germany, ffs what a mess).
    But all public services are affected by immigration, both positively and negatively.

DMD likes this.
  17. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

The poll says '**** off to the politics thread' btw <ok>

This is a football forum you cock wombles.

Libby likes this.
  18. deedub93

That's better, at least an argument. However, the EU is not a club of 27 net contributors. It is a club of a few net contributors and a whole bunch of net takers. That I itself is not a major issue, the sentiment is that one encourages the poorer nations to develop their economies so they eventually become net contributors, very noble indeed. Unfortunately, the club is run by a whole bunch of self-centred politico's in Brussels who are doing very nicely thank-you and are unwilling to change. They also appear to want further integration (more power) so they can expand their little empire.

I work in Africa and have to do business with most counties in the world. I do less business with the EU than the rest of the world because of red tape and associated costs. In fact, in the last five years the only time I have done business with UK companies is either 1) since the Brexit vote, the fall in the pound has made the UK more competitive and 2) via Caterpilar in the US who source certain bits of plant from Northern Ireland.

What I think one will find is that companies in other countries will very quickly find that it is worth doing business with the UK once the shackles of the EU have been removed. We may sell less to Europe, but there is more to this world than Europe, a bloody lot more! We will not be left out in the cold, in fact there are a lot of warmer parts of the world from a business perspective than one will ever find in Europe.

DMD likes this.
  19. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Probably not the best choice of words on my part but areas where a lower share of the population were immigrants tended to vote Leave. Not always the case but there's a trend there.

However, the stronger correlation (from memory) was where there had been a rapid increase in immigration, even from a very low base, tended to vote Leave i.e. people were a bit perturbed by Pawel moving in down the road, next door and round the corner when a few years ago he was just moving in down the road.

20. Looney Leftie

Looney Leftie Well-Known Member