1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Brexit

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Sammy's Silky Skills, Nov 30, 2018.

?

What would you choose?

1. Take the current deal

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. Hard Brexit

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  1. Sammy's Silky Skills

Sammy's Silky Skills Well-Known Member

Where do you sit with regards the current Brexit dilemma? Looking at what Carney has said- it’s better for the U.K. to take what’s on offer. Or is it?

2. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Take our chances under WTO terms.
    May has been turned over.

Sheikh_of_Araby likes this.
  3. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

Scrap the whole id3a for the stupid fantasy it always was

4. CarolAncelotti

It's about more than the economy. Project fear don't seem to be able to get that

5. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

Tell the EU to **** off and take our chances with the WTO. May has given in to the EU like the coward that she is.

6. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

We voted to leave and so we should leave. That’s democracy.

Leave doesn’t mean retaining tenuous and restrictive threads to or with the EU.

Brexit was never just about the economy it was about much more.

If the EU won’t negotiate a reasonable deal (and this isn’t a reasonable deal ) then no deal it is and should be. Everyone will financially be hit in the short term including the EU but mid long term we have the opportunity to do something great. We have to grasp the future and make something out of it. Like Pouchy’s football point the worst thing we could do is be negative. Unlike Pouchy’s football point we shouldn’t accept “our position”. This country has punched above it’s weight for centuries and now is the time to do it again.

7. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Its like deciding whether to eat dick or take it up the arse

8. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Amendment tabled today for parliamentary debate opposing the deal but removes the No Deal option from the table.

https://twitter.com/hilarybennmp

Will be interesting if this gets passed.

9. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Democracy in UK has died.

10. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Sadly thanks to TM the whole country has been screwed.

Those who voted for Brexit voted to LEAVE. May's deal will only see us leave in name only. SCREWED.
    Those who voted to stay see a deal which sees us leave in name only, no control and no say in EU matters. SCREWED.

The only people who will come out of this well are those with a vested interest in the EU and do not care what decisions they make so long as their bank balance gets bigger.

No Deal > Stay in Brexit > Chequers plan > Mays Deal

11. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

TM is another PM coward that this country seems to continuously produce. The EU should have been told to do one.

12. QWOP

QWOP Well-Known Member

The only amendment to TMs deal I would make is the removal of the backstop!

13. Hugh Briss

Hugh Briss Well-Known Member

Brexit will ruin the lives of all young people.
    Brexit will destroy the peace process in Ireland.
    Brexit will mean the end of the world.

We are all going to die because of Brexit.

14. ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter

ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter Well-Known Member

I would have voted Remain but as I was off the Electoral Register at the time (wandering around the UK living on board the motorhome) I couldn't vote. So, my opinion is that of a remainer and of someone who has lived and worked in Europe for fourteen years and loved it.

The first thing is that I can't tolerate is that my freedom of movement has been restricted, nay blocked. I can understand that some people are frightened of foreigners and so voted to leave but that's their business if they wanted to hide under their (contintental) quilts but I don't like the fact that I can't go and live abroad again without having a skilled job. Ideally I would have gone out there to live and work non-skilled work but now I can't.

There are major issues with pulling out and, for what? The control of borders we always had but it was never enforced. Are those who want to stop immigration concerned about too many Danes and Swedes or are they confusing EU immigration, which has never been a problem, with immigration from outsided the EU?

The right wing press hasn't helped by lumping immigrants with refugees. There's two wars going on on the edge of Europe and which we have a hand in: our munitions and even if this weren't so then we have a duty as a civilised nation to take in refugees.

Then that brings us to Brexit. We hear that the EU isn't democratic and, yet, it's more democratic than the UK. We 't have a series of new governments stuffing the upper house with bodies and now it's got out of hand. I wish that we had the US model when there are two senators per state: we should have two per county and also we ought to stop pissing around gerrymandering to stop 'the other lot' getting seats.

The EU is more open than our government. Look at what' sgoing on now: we've had to have had two Humble Addresses to get information from the Government and, still, the government is refusing to publish the legal statement.

We've got a thriving music and film industry. London has one of the world's best post-production facilities in the world and there's concern that data can't be sent to and from Europe because of copyright infringements.

Then there's touring musicians. Good luck organising a tour these days into Europe I have musicians (not to be confused with DJs) as close friends and they're worried massively about how things are going as they won't be able to work as easily.

Lorries. Christ what a mess. We have a fleet of lorries going to and fro over the Channel. When we drop out of Europe our quota of permits is going to be only 5% of what we need to move stuff overseas. So what was once a farmer filling a container, with the help of Polish and Rumanian labour, getting it onto a back of a lorry at 10pm, driving to Dover, over the Channel and unpacking at Brussels at four in the morning local time is going to change. There's no lorry that can go overseas so what will happen? Well, the container may be filled a lot slower and so the food is leaving his farm in not a fresh state. The lorry will have to go to somewhere like Tilbury where it's unloaded and sits by the dockside. Then the container is loaded onto a ship which may take a day or two and then finally sets sail to Rotterdam or Antwerp. It then is unloaded and has to clear customs and then is finally released for a local lorry to take it to market. Five or six days later.

We have lots of industries here such as the car assembly plant in Sunderland and Airbus in North Wales. The logistics are relying on Just In Time and this isn't going to happen. Land Rover and Jaguar are looking to move their assembly to eastern Europe as are the other car manufacturers. Well, we still have a British motor industry, don't we? Well, yes. The biggest British car manufacturer is Morgan and it makes cars from wood!

Then there's the banking and finance industry. London keeps the lights on. Frankfurt has been trying to get the British financial centre for decades, ever since the 80s in particular. People don't like the bankers. That's fair enough but to expel them from the country and to remove most of the GDP in one fell swoop is ridiculous. London has, or had, the world's largest financial centre. Where it wasn't the top in one thing it was the second: New York, for example, has the biggest stock market, Chigago had the futures market. London has the insurance and the re-insurance market. And the list goes on: where London is the leader it's the second leader and it's all happening here in London and this is going to go overseas next year.

Already the banks are talking about moving 800 BILLION pounds over to Frankfurt. That's a **** load of assets to lose.

What else? Well, then there's Northern Ireland. I can remember working in a place in the 70s which was bombed and I don't want to go through all that again. There's Galileo as well that's gone and needs to be replaced.

In fact there's a little to be shouting about with this mess. We have one new trade agreement in place: we have promised to take Chile's excess avacado crop. So that's Islington saved then.

What should have happened is that when the news of the vote came out the Government should have said "Hang on, we have a lot to sort out" and then rebuilt the country. Industry should have been restarted so we have things to sell. We should have got a team of trade delegates for each of the 220+ plus countries out there out negotiating treaties. We have TWENTY trade officials and that's it.

It's been a right balls up and all because of what? People being scared of non-EU immigrants who, as a rule, pay their taxes and add to the economy and do work that they wouldn't do themselves.

And most of the people who have voted out spout the same slogans: Take Control Of Our Borders (we had that anyway), Immigration (there's hardly a problem with the Dutch), Democracy (well, the EU and the ECJ is certainly better than our Establishment) and what we have left is a nasty divided country.

I have now moved to Scotland and I am happy to be here because when I go south of the Border it's just unpleasant. I can see another Independence vote happening soon here. It's a mess and a total shame.

15. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

Except that’s not part of the deal and the EU aren’t prepared to agree it is or will be.

16. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

I respect your views and agree with some and disagree with others. What you fail to address is the fact that the people have already voted to leave. For me democracy dictates we leave.

17. ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter

ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter Well-Known Member

I have said that we have voted and that the Government should have said "Hang on, we need to rebuild the UK". And then rebuild it. No matter how long it takes.

Firing off the A50 at this time is madness. Yes, it was taken as a vote and there are doubts on the legality of the vote (which I am not complaining about) but what astounded me was that if the Referendum was a mandate (it was only advisory anyway as per the various laws anyway) then the mandate is only valid for the length of that Parliament (ref. various bits of the British Constitution).

May then called a General Election which Dissolved Parliament so any Mandates that were outstanding are automatically voided.

There are issues with the legality of the referendum which is also clouding the issue which doesn't help.

18. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

Ah, yes. The people have spoken and must never be allowed to speak again.

19. Gordonthetoony

Gordonthetoony Well-Known Member

The way people go on about us heading into chaos if we leave the EU. Shocking really, how did we survive all the time prior to it? Didn't people cross borders, musicians play concerts all over the world etc. How do the 100+ countries survive outside the EU Cartel without any problems.
    Just get out, set our own rules and laws and after a short while for adjustments, thrive.
    The way it is going I see a number of other countries following us out and the collapse of the EU.

20. KazakhToon

KazakhToon Well-Known Member

Have another vote with remain as an option. I'd predict a tiny percentage will take the deal, most leave voters will vote cliff-edge, and the remain voters plus the young voters who were 16 or 17 in 2016 will tip it. End this before it's too late and get on with sorting out this country's very real problems, the UK govt has been paralyzed for too long.

BackFromBeyond likes this.