1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Brentford vs QPR

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by daverangers, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

Anyone else on here actually quite like Brentford? I don't really get the 'rivalry'. Hats off to them, well run club, doing things the right way. Slightly irritating puerile purist attitudes at times, bit like the Swans, but nobody is perfect. Nice to have a bit of spice in the game as they are a local club, but I can't bring myself to actually dislike them.

All of my footballing hatred is channelled towards the scum.

2. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

I wouldn’t say I like them as the modern day Brentford is exceptionally arrogant for a team that has never ever done anything at all. It’s like they’re the first team to ever pass the ball a bit and use stats.

As a club though in general no animosity at all. Guess if you grew up round there it’s different just as I wish every day for a bomb to hit Vicarage Road.

daverangers likes this.
  3. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

It was manic in the away end that day.

4. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

Always like Brentford, would go early 80’s if rangers were in some god forsaken place north of Watford. I remember in the eighties them beating Swansea I think who where old first div, great night out. I guess it’s harder to take recently as they have been better run and simply better than us. Think it’s about to reverse, my fingers are crossed

kiwiqpr and Steelmonkey like this.
  5. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

My old man used to take me to Brentford if QPR were away - there was probably at least two divisions between the teams then though (late 70s/ early 80s), so not much rivalry. When I got a bit older used to go to Harrow Borough if we were away.

Wherever and kiwiqpr like this.
  6. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

The Bell and Crown on Strand on the Green is a nice pub overlooking the Thames. Fifteen minute walk to the ground.

please log in to view this image

QPRski and QPR Oslo like this.
  7. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

8. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

I thought they were playing us tomorrow!...:grin:

daverangers and QPR999 like this.
  9. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Seriously????????<laugh>

10. Bwood_Ranger

The problem with looking like that, amongst other things, is you’ll get recognised.

Thanks for the pub tip. Looks like I have to pick the missus up from Heathrow so it’ll be a rush just to make KO sadly.

11. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

What on earth has happened to you? You've changed.

TootingExcess likes this.
  12. Quite Possibly Raving

Each to their own

13. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I personally find them a strange lot Raving, the one's I know seem to be uncannily obsessed about us whereas they're not even on my radar until we play them.

14. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

Forgive me for saying the unthinkable, but I've met a fair few Chelsea fans who say the same about us. Rivalries are almost always to do with local clubs, and one regarding itself the 'bigger' of the two clubs. It just so happens that in this rivalry we have, historically, been the 'bigger' club.

sb_73 and QPR999 like this.
  15. Quite Possibly Raving

Probably right. No doubting we've historically been the bigger club, and sadly also no doubting that their trajectory has been better than ours for a good few years now. Hard work required to reverse that, hopefully starting tomorrow.

daverangers and QPR999 like this.
  16. Bwood_Ranger

My own fault for not listening when she said what time she’s getting in.

Will still have time for a morning shoulder session. When Sylla scored last year I nearly killed half a dozen people.

QPR999 likes this.
  17. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

You're right Dave, and that thought regarding Chelsea did cross my mind when I posted that. That probably applies to the last twenty years. For the previous twenty years ( mid 70s, 80's and up to the mid 90's ) they were our greatest rivals, as were we there's, I think.

daverangers likes this.
  18. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Agree the modern day Chelsea fans don't even know we exist and the older ones all seem to think they brought 50,000 to LR and took all four sides but sadly for them it must have been in a parallel universe. Back in the 80's there was always trouble with us and Chelsea but after our demise to the lower divisions the rivalry has disappeared. I really don't have any feeling towards either Brentford or Foolham but I bloody hate Chelsea.

19. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not really sure there's any ancient rivalry as we didn't play them for 30 odd years......they still seem to have a thing about the supposed merger (perceived take over) that they believed was instigated by us when it was actually their chairman owner who asked Jim Gregory to bail them out as they were reportedly close to going out of business......

Other than that they barely registered....

20. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

Used to live in Braemar Road in the 80s. Strange lot. Used to jump on their players from a great height when things didn't go right - something which happened all too often. Never really got behind their side. In spite of that. they always regarded themselves as supporters of a cultured club playing quality football when all about them were hoofing it into the stratosphere. That was delusional. When they became a bit more successful they just hoofed it higher and further. In spite of that never really had any feelings about them at all until their laying into Rowlands because he had the temerity to leave them for a better team. Since then I've had nothing but contempt for them which is a shame because I can remember watching them a couple of times when Stan Bowles, Frank McLintock and Henry Mancini were all there. Of course Stan was the only one who was playing at the time and frankly, the only good thing to happen in those games.

Was anyone else at the game against Oldham in the mid 90s when Rowlands came on as a sub only to be sent off within 30 seconds for a leg-breaking foul on an opponent? Coppell was livid with him and the relationship pretty much broke down that season so that he could not wait to leave when Ollie came a-calling.