1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Brentford vs QPR

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by daverangers, Apr 18, 2018.

1. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

Brentford vs QPR
    Griffin Park
    Saturday 21st April 2018 - 3pm

please log in to view this image

Transport from Loftus Road;
    Central Line to Ealing Broadway then the 65 bus; 45 minutes
    4.9 Mile dive along the M4; 18 minutes
    Or you can walk it in just over an hour and twenty minutes.
    Previous Meetings vs Brentford;
    Games won: 22
    Games drawn: 24
    Games lost: 25

Games to remember;
    21 Jan 1928 Brentford v Queens Park Rangers W 0-3 Division Three (South)
    16 Dec 1961 Brentford v Queens Park Rangers W 1-4 League Division Three
    12 Mar 2016 Queens Park Rangers v Brentford W 3-0 League Championship

Games to forget;
    22 Oct 1921 Brentford v Queens Park Rangers L 5-1 Division Three (South)
    21 Apr 1930 Brentford v Queens Park Rangers L 3-0 Division Three (South)
    21 Aug 1965 Brentford v Queens Park Rangers L 6-1 League Division Three

Players who have played for both.
    There are a fair few who have played for both clubs, so here are just a few of them;

Stan Bowles: Appearances: Brentford 96 (scored 17); Queens Park Rangers 315 (scored 97)
    George Francis: Appearances: Brentford 260 (scored 124); Queens Park Rangers 3 (scored 3)
    Andy Sinton: Appearances: Brentford 182 (scored 34); Queens Park Rangers 190 (scored 25)
    Marcus Bean: Appearances: Brentford 168 (scored 15); Queens Park Rangers 76 (scored 2)
    Martin Rowlands: Appearances: Brentford 152 (scored 20); Queens Park Rangers 198 (scored 33)

Preview;
    In years gone by I have mocked my Brentford supporting friends for their poor choice. I have accused them of supporting the lesser brother of our two clubs, but I feel those days are now gone. Brentford currently sit in 10th, five places and 12 points above us with only three games remaining. Neal Maupay and Ollie Watkins have both been scoring well, with 12 and 10 goals respectively.

Whereas our season is all but over, Brentford still have a slim chance of making the playoffs, as they are only 4 points off 6th place, with Barnsley and Hull still to play after Saturday. Given that they have something to play for, and according to Ollie, we only have pride to play for, I am not too hopeful. As has been stated on Stan's thread, 'Any bothered about beating Brentford?', this is a local derby, and so no matter what the significance in the league table, it does matter. We need to try and restore some pride and try to get one over on them.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  2. daverangers

I'll update with team news late tomorrow or Friday but wanted to get discussion going.

3. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

I see George Francis scored in every game he played for us, must be some kind of record.!

4. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Chris Mepham the Brentford centre back is a QPR season ticket holder along with his dad. He was at Chelsea until the age of 14 and went to Watford and then QPR who both turned him down. He is now 20 and has broke through into the bees 1st team making 17 appearances this season and scoring 1 goal. He has also made his full debut for the Welsh International side last month after getting a call-up from Ryan Giggs.

Boyhood fan Chris Mepham shares how QPR cruelly rejected him; now worth more than £6.5m

The Brentford defender was hoping for a chance at his beloved Queens Park Rangers.

Chris Mepham was told by Queens Park Rangers they couldn't find a single attribute of his to work on - just years before Brentford rejected an offer of £6.5 million, plus add-ons, for him from Premier League Bournemouth.

Mepham has experienced a whirlwind six months, in which he has played 17 times for Brentford and won his first call up to Wales' national team.

However, the picture wasn't always so rosy for the 20-year-old, who was released by Chelsea and snubbed by Watford, before being dealt yet another blow by the club he'd supported since childhood - QPR.

Speaking to the Guardian on Wednesday, Mepham explained: "That’s my boyhood team. They had a meeting with me and said: 'When we come to sign someone, we look at one thing which we might try and develop. But we can’t see anything we can work on with you.'

"That was very hard to hear. I remember my dad turned around and said: 'He was at Chelsea for six years. There must be something there.'

"My mindset after that was awful; that took a massive chunk out of me."

Discussing Bournemouth's January offer, Mepham said: "I still can’t believe that sort of money was put on the table.

"I remember the day before deadline day I was having an afternoon nap and my dad came upstairs, and with a smile on his face said: 'Your agent is on the phone.'

"When he told me what Bournemouth had offered, I couldn’t believe it. I’d only made eight league starts. It was so surreal. I just didn’t think that moment would ever come, especially five years ago."

Mepham - who signed a new five-year deal shortly before stepping into Harlee Dean's shoes at the heart of Brentford's defence - is also said to have interest from Burnley ahead of the summer transfer window, while Bournemouth remain keen according to the Sunday Mirror.

And with QPR's promotion hopes all but over for another year, Mepham looks a good bet to beat his boyhood club back to the Premier League.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/03/2...pham-shares-details-of-cruel-qpr-rejection-y/

Tramore Ranger and daverangers like this.
  5. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

I have the impresion that Brentford will have more to play and with that motivation, the game could pan out similar to the Preston match.

But I hope that I am wrong!

Despite this, it is a match that I really would to see live.

6. daverangers

According to his wiki page;
    Francis and Towers joined Division Three side Queens Park Rangers in an £8,000 deal in the summer of 1961.[1] Francis failed to last long at Loftus Road,[1] making just three appearances, though scoring three goals,[7] before departing in October 1961.

durbar2003 likes this.
  7. Ranger4ever

Ranger4ever Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this Saturday, I have a good feeling about this fixture. URRRRRRR's

DES1603DB-2.jpg

Tramore Ranger likes this.
  8. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Who can forgot the classic three quarter length a sleeves
    Great for when its neither too hot or too cold

1982_Ranger likes this.
  9. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

So Smithies is due to become a father this week....So chances are Ingrams will be in goal

There does not seem to be any sinister back story there either

10. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Other than that he left it in exactly nine months ago in order to avoid the wrath of Middlesex’s fiercest supporters.

Ingram is brilliant anyway, as he showed last week with an assured display :emoticon-0107-sweat

kiwiqpr likes this.

11. qprbeth

Forum Moderator

Now hearing...Robbo is "ill". And Baptiste has done something to his knee.

Yes they have asked me to play CD......anyone taller than 5'1"...can play instead of me .... PLEASE

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

12. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Perch and Kakay?

13. qprbeth

Forum Moderator

4 from.
    ..Furlong, Perch,Bidwell, .
    .... Cousins, Wszoleck, Phillips, Paul, Kakay.

Anyone else.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

14. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

Be interesting to know who at QPR it was that missed Mepham's abilities. He joined Brentford in 2012, so QPR managers in the frame would seem to be Hart, Harford, Warnock or Hughes. May be he's just a late developer

15. QPR Oslo

Smith.

16. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I think that must be the case, surely even QPR can't make such a misjudgement.

17. bunmahon_ranger

bunmahon_ranger Well-Known Member

Transport from Loftus Road;
    Central Line to Ealing Broadway then the 65 bus; 45 minutes
    4.9 Mile dive along the M4; 18 minutes
    Or you can walk it in just over an hour and twenty minutes

Don't forget the lovely 237 bus, very direct, I used to get it...allow about 3 days though

daverangers likes this.
  18. daverangers

Injuries update from Ollie;

Matt Webb @mattwebb987

RANGERS boss Ian Holloway has told www.qpr.co.uk that his team may well be without defensive duo Alex Baptiste and Jack Robinson for Saturday’s trip to face Brentford in the Sky Bet Championship.

There’ll be a late call on Baptiste, who is currently being assessed for a knee injury picked up this week, while Robinson has gone down with an illness.

With captain Nedum Onuoha still suspended and Grant Hall and Joel Lynch out for the remainder of the campaign, Ollie admitted that he may well have to blood at least one more youngster at Griffin Park.

“We’ve got a bit of an injury crisis in defence,” Ollie explained. “Baps has a problem with his knee and Robbo is ill.

“We’ll find out about Baps today – but it’s not really ideal on the Friday before a game.

“However, it gives me the chance to play one or two other younger ones and see if they can step in.

“It’s a good opportunity to see what I’ve got ahead of next year – but I want the young ones to impress us and make a name for themselves.”

19. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

We can't keep a clean sheet with a regular defence so there's no chance tomorrow with a make shift one. We'll be lucky to keep this down to a margin of three. Especially with Smithies out as well.

By the way, last week they played Ingram in goal as Smithies missus was expecting a baby, so he was put on the subs bench. What would've happened if Ingram got injured and Smithies replaced him and then the call came in that she was about to deliver during the match? Will Smithies be on the subs bench tomorrow for the same reason? If so, what's the point?

Steelmonkey and daverangers like this.
  20. QPR Oslo

Sinton or the other bloke on Official stream commentary said Ingram played to give him a warm up game before the Derby match in case he's needed then. Got the impression Smithies will play tomorrow if he can. With gloves and a phone in his back pocket.

QPR999 likes this.