1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Brentford vs Arsenal - Matchday Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGunner, Sep 14, 2022.

1. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Thought we were excellent today. Saliba was solid as always he's added a lot to this side.

Jesus has made big impact soo far- what a player.

The other big difference with this side to last Season is depth.

Zinchenko out Tierney in
    White Out Tomiyasu comes in
    Odegaard out Viera in.
    Lokonga also looks like he's turning into a very adequate replacement for Partey/Xhaka.

gooner4ever and BrunelGunner like this.
  2. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

This season could see an absolute dog fight for the top four.
    City are nailed on but after them?
    You lot are looking very good even when players are missing, Chelsea could take a little time to get back on track with Potter, United have found a way to win, Liverpool look out of sorts and we are winning while not playing really well.

3. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Hmm, you're winning while you play all the teams at the bottom of the league anyway. When you start playing top half teams regularly we'll see what spurs are made of.

City
    Arsenal
    Spurs
    United

Top four.

4. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I agree with the Top three but could see United having problems and could see Liverpool putting together a run. Chelsea area bit of an unknown quantity under Potter.

5. remembercolinlee

You've played ;
    Palace (bottom half)
    Leicester (bottom)
    Bournemouth (bottom half)
    Villa (bottom half)
    Brentford (bottom half)
    United (top half)
    Fulham (top half)

We've played
    Southampton (bottom half)
    Wolves (bottom half)
    Chelsea (top half)
    Forest (bottom half)
    West Ham (bottom half)
    Fulham (top half)
    Leicester (bottom half)

You are on plus 6 points comparing like for like games compared to last season and we are on plus 8 points.

Think both our fixtures have been similar as have our point gains on last season.

Imo Liverpool can not continue to be up and down and if Chelsea get things right under Potter who is a fantastic manager imo then every point dropped will hurt teams.

6. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Oh come on, mine was clearly a WUM comment. Not reading all that when I'm half cut. <laugh>

PINKIE likes this.
  7. remembercolinlee

**** me ... I'm slower than Leicesters defence today <laugh>

PINKIE and gooner4ever like this.
  8. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have no doubts over the quality of our starting 11 and we have definitely improved depth in some areas, but there's still other areas where we have less depth/variety which concerns me, especially at the rate we are getting injuries.

After this international break is over, we will effectively be playing 3 games a week until the World Cup. I want to see how we manage that process and whether we pick up more knocks. Arteta in general doesn't make many changes unless he's forced to (i.e. injuries) or very late on in games.

We've had a great start to the season, but still a long way to go and a lot can change. So I'm trying to not get ahead of myself <laugh>

9. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Let's take the reply seriously. Brentford would have gone top 5 with a win. They're good. Palace are very good but had a horrific fixture list. Bournemouth and Villa are terrible agreed. United are poor and we were just unlucky. Fulham are surprisingly good and we both struggled a bit with them.

All the teams you've played have been in terrible form. Wolves, Chelsea and Fulham are the only semi-decent teams you played and that's stretching it.

The whole plus or minus compared to the previous season is a bullshit red herring. You've got 6pts to get against City to keep that up.

I would say the next game for both of us should give a good indicator of where we're both at but either of us could win that game and still finish easily below the other so I don't think it actually will mean a great deal apart from short ten bragging rights.