1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Brentford v United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Christiansmith, Aug 13, 2022.

1. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Was the performance of the team abject? 100%

Was the lack of fight and physicality against hard working opponents unacceptable? 100%

Was TenHag’s selection responsible either wholly or partially for the humiliation? 100%

Does TenHag need to address the issue of hard work and physicality of his players? 100%

Could the humiliation or even defeat have been avoided? 100%

Do we expect a Utd team to recover from an error in the first 10 mins of a match? 100%

Did we have a poor recruitment window so far? 100%

Are some of the players not good enough to play for the first team? 100%

Are some people here burying their heads in the sand refusing to accept that the current shambles has to be owned either wholly or partially by the current regime? 100%

Is there still time to improve the window and the season? 100%

Is it possible to criticise the manager and his team without calling him to be sacked? 100%

Do we all here support the manager and want him to succeed? 100%

cytrax likes this.
  2. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

What is 50% + 50%? 100%

What is half of 200%? 100%

What is 1 whole? 100%

If a pair of pants is reduced in price then returns to the original price, what percentage am I now paying for said underpants? 100%

Diego likes this.
  3. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

Look on the bright side lads, you’ve made an old man very happy.

I’m even daring to dream….. didn’t think I’d live long enough to see you relegated again. The thought brings tears of joy to my eyes.

Eireleeds1 and wakeybreakyheart like this.
  4. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Seems a lot of negativity after just two games - I can understand why, but it is still only two games in. Surely people didn't imagine that EtH would arrive on the scene with a complete understanding of the intensity of the PL or that our new signings would make a seamless step-up to the pace and demands of the PL straight away.

Everything has changed at the club and it will take time for it all to gel together so patience is required. Calls for heads to roll is ludicrous and we need to trust in the process - OK (to us complete outsiders) the window might not seem a great success, but who really knows - and in any event, the strategy could involve a slow progression involving several more windows until the squad is working as a unit.

5. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Some of the reaction is just way over the top.
    I mean, the BBC itself has turned into no more than sensationalist click bait social media, its idea of actual journalism is lamentable to he honest.

Then you've got the shock jock pap of Talk Sport, then the usual social media ****e in Twitter.

Did these people genuinely think Ten Hag was some messiah? That he'd have the squad, as ****e as we all accept it is, suddenly playing Dutch total football? After a few weeks of pre season friendlies.

It's incredible, and sadly lot of people pay actual attention to all this, become outraged, and the pressure ramps up.

Ten Hag has to be given a season in the doldrums, it needs to be accepted. Or else, he gets sacked and in comes the next stooge and the process of failure begins again.

I'm on a couple of Facebook fan pages that I thought were sensible but it's going off on them as well. Mainly against the Glazers of course, which is correct as it is they and their cohorts who are the issue here.

But some if the ideas, like everyone not going to the Liverpool game as protest. Yeah, that'll work.
    The very same people who booed the team off at half time v Brighton don't bother going to match the team needs support in. That'll really show everyone.

Christiansmith and glazerfodder like this.
  6. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

And another after thought.

When Klopp took over the hun, he took over a failing team that had finished second the previous season then fallen apart.

Perhaps not for the exact same reasons but still.

Was Klopp immediately successful, or we he given time across the board, from fans and club, to build a squad, then make it successful?

7. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

We have to be able to laugh at ourselves .....

match.png

Christiansmith likes this.
  8. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Your owners are the problem in my view. They have no vision or plan other than to use United to make money in the short term.

Your stadium used to be one of the best in Europe, your training facilities were excellent and you had a long term plan.

As you were winning stuff into 1990s and 2000s you invested in your ground and your squad the allowed you to be consistent.

This meant that in the early 2000s when you went 3 or 4 years without winning much your long term planning laid the ground work for the successes between 2007-2013.

But the Glazers never planned for life after SAF and it showed.

They literally threw money at random players and random managers with no coherent plan.

Moyes was given just 2 transfer windows. LVG was sacked minutes after winning the FA Cup. JM was sacked a few months after winning the EL. OGS was given forever and then a 7 month caretaker manager.

Moyes, LVG and JM would never deliver a united style of football.
    How OGS was given so long was and still is a mystery.

6 managers in 9 years, with different footballing philosophies , each buying their own players. The next manager struggles to get them out the door so they just hang around like a bad smell.
    That's why the United squad is so disjointed.

For non United fans it's a laugh and unless the board make a long term plan and actually stick to it and let the manager dump who he wants and bring in his own players it'll continue. And if a manager proves to not be as good as hoped then they should sack him and bring a manager with the same philosophy.

We went from Pochettino to JM and Nuno ffs and it killed us on the pitch. Conte then came in with a similar philosophy to Pochettino was allowed to kicked players not fit for purpose and we've improved. Consistency was the foundation for you successes ...God knows why your owners threw it away

You now have a ground that desperately needs work, from what I've read, quite a lot of work.

cytrax likes this.
  9. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

After watching the full game yesterday and now some "highlights" i have come to the conclusion we need a new keeper (among other things).
    David has had a period where he was, in my mind, the best in the PL even the World but now he just makes far too many easy mistakes and is not suited to the modern game of playing out from the back and "sweeper keepers".
    He has never commanded his six yard box but that didn't matter so much when his reactions were so sharp, now it has to be asked just what is he top at.

cytrax likes this.
  10. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Very telling press conference from EtH on the United site, some players should be getting a bit worried.

“We expected a different start. It seems like what happened in the past, last season, we have to change that very quickly.

“We need new players, we need quality players and we will do everything to convince them to come.”

11. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Ultimately it is all down to the owners. Look at Chelsea: the new owners have continued the philosophy of the previous regime. Back the manager to the hilt with selling identified weaknesses and buying top replacements, prompt and no fuss recruitments. What we have with the GGs is different. Some players are deemed too expensive and therefore out of bounds, then there is the continuous haggling and losing out as well as shopping for mid ranking players costing 15-20m who can do a job rather than being at the top in their position. Why? The greedy Glazers keep a constant eye on the annual dividend they will extract from the club. Yes we are supposed to one of the biggest clubs in the world in the terms of turnover but in terms of squad we are a mid ranking club. Ferguson has kept us at the top through judicious buying and selling but once he left the club could longer swim against the tide. The harsh reality is that if you buy mid ranking players you have a mid ranking team when every top club are buying top players. Ten Hag has been sold false promises.

cytrax and glazerfodder like this.
  12. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Well that's not going to happen this transfer window so we'll have to manage.

Interestingly I recently read that Romero (remember him) has ended up back at Boca Juniors after about a dozen appearances for some club in Italy last season. I'm a bit surprised by that, thought he'd have done better.

Diego likes this.
  13. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

You'll have to forgive me here but, no ****.

Diego and remembercolinlee like this.
  14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

On this, I watched the post-match interview and the good folk of Skysports were deliberately trying to push the point with the Brentford personnel that Martinez height was the issue.

So firstly when they interviewed the two players from Brentford after the game and kept saying things like "did you have a plan to target Martinez height?" and "did it help that Toney was up against Martinez" and fair play to the Brentford players who both just said honestly "No it wasn't that, we knew we could get at them if we put pressure on their defence and didn't give them time on the ball."

Then later, at pitch side Cates and Rednapp tried to do the same with the Brentford manager, Frank, by asking if they had targeted Martinez because of his height with the longballs. Frank almost took offence to this but replied, "no our game plan was to defend from the front, not give them time on the ball. Yes we use the long ball as part of our game, but we felt if we could get at the defence through the high press we'd cause them problems."

Both the first two goals which set the tone of the game came from goalkeeping errors <doh>

You can see already the narrative is being written against Martinez and once again it's the ABU media doing it.

Diego and cytrax like this.
  15. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

<laugh>

Chief likes this.
  16. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

This is one issue that we got completely wrong. De Gea actually conceded some really poor goals in preseason that I thought we could have been seen as indication of his weaknesses for modern style going into the new season. Then we sent Henderson packing without ever talking about solid backup for De Gea. I don’t know why many are against Henderson because I always thought he is far more vocal with defenders to get them organized. Something that David has not been good at which then brings more pressure on him to then be that shot stopper that saves the day over and over again.

De Gea won’t even make any of the teams that finished above us last season. But yet again we are caught wanting because we can’t seem to plan ahead.

Diego likes this.
  17. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Well things can only get better. After next Monday

18. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Well, it’s only against a mediocre team that is 2 points above the team in last place.

Diego likes this.
  19. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I think RHC meant to post that on his own board.

cytrax and Diego like this.
  20. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

I was half pissed <laugh>

Treble likes this.