1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Brendan Rodgers.....

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by omogooner, May 6, 2019.

1. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

I reckon he would have gotten much more out this team than Emery. I also think he is vastly under valued... it is all this craze for foreign coaches..

2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

<laugh>

3. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Im not going to knock Rodgers, or mock the idea of him being Arsenal manager.

I am going to be a realist and say I really dont think he would have done much better with this squad at all.

4. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

<laugh>. Absolutely not in a million years.

He does well for a few games for Leicester and all of a sudden he is Arsenal material? We may as well have got Solskjaer as manager if this is the criteria you are using.

If he failed at Liverpool, what makes you think we want him at Arsenal?

I think some of us need to stop being reactionary and focus on giving Emery support in his second season. Sure you can criticise, you can have doubts, but give him an opportunity to work with his own players first. It is clear some people never wanted him to succeed to begin with.

Emery has done well on a shoestring budget at Valencia, won 3 consecutive European trophies at Sevilla (to put that into context, we have won 0 UEFA Cups in our entire history) and won 7 trophies in 2 years at PSG. His managerial pedigree far exceeds Brendan Rodgers.

Patience is a virtue as they say.

5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Absolute madness to be writing Emery off already. He's had a decent enough first season, getting us to within a whisker of top 4 and still in with a chance of a European final and silverware. This is after having to get to know all of the players, work out who fits into his system, work out those who aren't in his plans (quite a few by the looks of things) and for the players to adapt to new coaching tactics etc.

Emery needs another 2-3 transfer windows and the whole of next season to even begin to assess whether he's going to be successful at Arsenal. Brendan Rogers ffs <laugh> This reminds me of the time when people were banding about names like Owen Coyle, Roberto Martinez, Harry Redknapp and Fat Sam.

6. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

Everyone seem to have failed to answer the question: If Sarri had performed atrociously in the past 6games, would still be in a job? Our managers seem to have it so easy. As fans we need to grow a pair and be brave... You dont need 3yrs to know when you are on the road to nowhere!

7. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

You can't just look at those 6 games in isolation though, you need to look at the season in its entirety. Yes it was a horrible and frustrating end to the season, way worse than I expected, but from where we were when Emery took over, he had us in a top 4 race until the penultimate game of the season. Loads of us knew this would be a transitional year and no-one expected us to be anywhere close to it with the problems we had.

If our season had reversed and we had started poorly, but ended the season with the 22-game unbeaten run, I can guarantee you those who are calling for Emery's head right now would not be doing so.

I think that string of unbeaten games, mixed with our rivals slipping up in the business end of the season, gave a lot of people hope that we could finish 3rd or 4th. Unfortunately, we didn't, but we could have done and that's the main thing for me.

I wanted to see some form of progress from Emery, to improve our record in the big games and to make us at least compete for a CL spot, even if we don't get it. He did both of those things.

The season isn't even over yet, we are still in a healthy position heading into the second leg of our Europa semi-final.

And I can guarantee that if we do make it to Baku and win the Europa League, those same fans who have been chastising him will be sucking him off. Such is the fickle nature of football fans.

winifred122 likes this.
  8. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I think emery will be given until the end of his contract.

9. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ. Get a grip. Support your team.

We are in the Europa final - sure we should have finishe top 3-4. But its not all that bad.

BrunelGooner and gooner4ever like this.