1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

BREAKING: Unai Emery is new Arsenal manager

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Mantis, May 21, 2018.

1. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Happy with this appointment. We’ve got a manager with a proven track record and who is a also tactician (something we have badly lacked). He’s won trophies wherever he’s been and when for experience in the Spanish and French league. Okay he hasn’t been tearing up trees in the CL, but I reckon he’ll get us back in it.

Wanted allegri as fist choice but he’s staying at juve so there’s **** all anybody can do about that. Emery is a much better appointment than Arteta, who frankly would have been an almighty gamble.

2. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

A very good appointment based on his impressive management of Seville on a tight budget. They were well organised, tough but also creative when attacking. But the main points we need addressing are the areas he can sort out. With solid backing from Minislat etc, he should get the proper support to get us back on track.

Get him in asap and start preparing for the next season. I'm very much looking forward to it!

3. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

I like the appointment. His profile fits nicely.

4. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Certainly think he was a smarter appointment than Arteta would have been.
    At least this guy has a proven track record, and a handful of trophies to boot.
    You probably couldn't have done much better at the moment with who is available (except maybe Ancelotti, once Allegri was ruled out), so i think this could be a decent appointment for you.....
    hopefully not too decent :emoticon-0173-middl

5. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

He has a good record. I like it because he hasn't been a complete disaster anywhere, and there is a chance he is a genius but just got a little unlucky. PSG certainly ran into Real Madrid just when they hit form this year. Real Madrid before Christmas and after Christmas were two different teams.

It is an appointment that is pretty safe, fits the new model the club want, and it has the potential for a lot of upside. It is a good business decision to pick him even if it is not the most popular or exciting choice for the fans.

I hope this is not another case of the press yanking our chain, because I quite like the look of him.

6. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Think it is pretty much a-given now to be honest.
    They are probably just agreeing contractual small print.
    Unless the negotiations break down completely, I think it is safe to assume it is more or less a done deal.

7. ToledoTrumpton

I hope so. I guess that the interview with the candidates that were interested was rather lengthy, deep and detailed. I suspect that is unusual and one or two of them took it to mean that they were almost selected, which then leaked out to the press.

Certainly all the press stories of U-turns doesn't seem to be based on anything official from the club. Nor do I think that they are going to reasonably have told anyone that they were going to get the job and then back-tracked.

8. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Guillerme Balague and Marca are both claiming Arteta never 'turned Arsenal down' like some outlets are claiming.

Arsenal choose Emery ahead of 10 candidates they contacted.

I love how the British media try to put a negative spin on everything.

9. ToledoTrumpton

Unai Emery appeared to confirm he was the new Arsenal manager on his website, but it seems to have been either premature, a misunderstanding or the site was hacked, because the site is now down, and there is utter silence from everywhere official.

Just more controversy. Sigh!

10. TheBear

Soo its official now.

On the Arsenal website.

Interesting how he is named as 'head coach' rather than 'manager'.

11. bobo_97

bobo_97 Well-Known Member

12. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Out of Emery and Arteta, the former was a no bra
    I'm happy that this is the case. Let others worry about the other aspects and have someone focusing solely on the team. We've learnt the hard way that having a manager that does everything isn't always the best.

13. TheBear

Yeah I agree.

Lets hope Minislat brings in some good quality signings over the next two months or so.

14. straycat_67

straycat_67 Well-Known Member

Good to see it sorted ASAP, now on with the business of rebuilding and instilling a winning mentality into this team!!

PINKIE likes this.
  15. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Interesting choice. Much more experienced than Arteta or any ex-player would have been. Maybe not the marque name lots of us had hoped for but there are some good signs. It seems he is organised, focuses on detail and has an exciting but structured style of play. Could be exactly the kind of manager we need.

Also his record is pretty good so far:

Lorca - promoted from third to second division in his first season in charge for the first time in the clubs history. Then in his second season finished 5th on 69 points in the second division, only 5 points off promotion to the first division.

Almeria - in first season got them promoted from second to first division for the first time in the clubs history. Second season finished 8th in the top flight.

Valencia - first season lead a Valencia side with severe financial issues to 6th. Followed by finishing 3rd three seasons in a row (can't get much better than that barring a freak season where Madrid and Barca mess up). Also European highlights of QF away goal loss to Atletico in Europa league who went on to win it and made it to the last 16 of the CL.

Spartak Moscow - short spell, sacked mid season after loss to local rivals.

Sevilla - finished 5th, then 5th again (1 point off 4th), then 7th (played youth and reserves at end of season to focus on Europa). Won Europa league in all 3 seasons, becoming the only manager and club to have done so. Also got to a Copa Del Rey final (runners up to Barca).

PSG - first season won domestic cup treble, runners up in the league. Second season won domestic quadruple. CL last 16 twice. Highest win % of any PSG manager to date (73.7%), ahead of both Blanc and Ancelotti.

So he has overachieved at every club he has managed except his short time in Russia and potentially achieved as expected at PSG but whilst winning more games than any previous manager.

Very respectable career so far and plenty of trophies at his last two clubs including European trophies.

Can't wait to see how he gets on.

16. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

his press conference is live on BBC web site now

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  17. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Someone just said he speaks better English than Harry Kane <laugh>

TheBear likes this.
  18. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

<rofl>

Just managed to catch a bit of this press conference as I’ve got WiFi from the boatplane office on an off island here in British Columbia. Flying back to Vancouver island in a bit.

Really excited about emery joining Arsenal. I reckon we’re going to see much more intensity from our team now.

Dial Square likes this.
  19. ToledoTrumpton

Apparently the guy is a workaholic and watches video on the other team tirelessly, then prepares a one hour video on the other team for the players to watch. This is certainly going to be a change from Wenger's, we do what we do and don't worry about the other team approach.

He also had some interesting things to say about players making the fans happy.

http://www.football365.com/news/una...es-over-money-12-hr-analysis-crybaby-mourinho

I've decided I like him.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    TheBear likes this.