1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

BREAKING: Unai Emery is new Arsenal manager

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Mantis, May 21, 2018.

1. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

BREAKING: Arsenal to appoint Unai Emery as new manager. Thorough process produced 46yo Spaniard as unanimous choice. Available after leaving #PSG (1 Lg1 title, 4 cups), previously Sevilla (3 EL wins), not fluent English. Announcement + press conference likely later this week #AFC (Orstein)

2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I wanted Arteta.

gav81 likes this.
  3. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

have to say muchhhh better choice than arteta IMO. Lets see what he can do. Not my first choice (allegri) but I will take this one. He did well at PSG (big club) and did arguably even better at Sevilla with a smaller budget.

Excited to see what comes next!

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  4. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Going to bid for his centre midfield enforcer Krychowiak from his sevilla days?

gooner4ever and TheBear like this.
  5. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

I've been on social media and frankly, I am amazed at how many Arsenal fans are treating this news in such a negative way.

They're upset we didn't get Arteta, when a large chunk of people didn't originally want him anyway, and are annoyed we have opted for a young, ambitious manager that has won multiple trophies in different countries? Baffling. Completely baffling.

Emery is 46 years old, has won 3 Europa League titles, won 5 trophies in 2 seasons at PSG and previously proved that he can work on a relatively tight budget compared to the other financial juggernauts when he was at Valencia and Sevilla.

There are question marks over his team's performances in the Champions League, but it's irrelevant because we're not in it anyway.

Personally, I welcome this appointment. There's no guarantee he will succeed, but at least we've given it a go on a manager with an impressive track record.

Contrary to the faux outrage on social media, this is a step in the right direction <ok>

6. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Agreed, shocked at how many people are not happy with emery. I am not quite sure why?

Again, he is probably not everyone’s first choice but he is an experienced manager who has worked at big clubs.

Certainly gets me more excited than some of the names that were thrown around

The only real issue if I were to pick one, is he apparently doesn’t speak English, which judging by past foreign managers in the premier league could be quite a challenge. Pochettino the only one that springs to mind that dealt with that.

7. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Emery as Arsenal manager.
    He's awful, but I like him anyway.

Schlem Boogerman likes this.
  8. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Interesting choice. To be honest I haven't paid much attention to PSG last Season.
    Except when they beat Bayern 3-0 in the Champs League.
    They won the league by a decent margin.

He was very good at Seville from what I remember. He's young too and still learning.<ok>

9. Bergkampspilot

Bergkampspilot Active Member

Well a proven manager who knows how to win games and (more importantly) trophies can't be a bad thing for Arsenal at this time. We have an uphill struggle to get back into Europes premier competition and the appointment of Emery will give us a greater fighting chance imo. This appointment gives me hope that the board really want to win trophies instead of a risky project in the appointment of Arteta (who I like very much by the way)

TheBear likes this.
  10. TheBear

"Emery is a coach first and foremost. He adapts to teams and his players. He's thorough/meticulous which by the way has been missing at AFC for a while. He'll add structure/purpose, players will learn of their obligations and responsibilities, will have 2 come out of comfort zone" - Guilleme Balague

Sounds like exactly what we need.

11. EmirAleks

EmirAleks Well-Known Member

If what Sky Sports reported about Arteta and the Monday meeting was true, then I salut Arteta and actually would not mind him as our next manager. If that report is true Emery looks like a journeyman and a yes man compared to our former captain.

PS It does look like the Monday meeting with Arteta went not as Gazidis and Co expected and they have run out of options. They had already effectively said no to several candidates thinking that Arteta was their man... Again, if Sky Sports report is true, then I have nothing but respect for Arteta.

12. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

How would you rate him tactically? Is he astute?

13. TheBear

Not at all.

Arsenal have offered a position with fewer responsibilities. The same kind of role managers have at Barca and Real. Essentially we are after a coach.

Arteta wanted complete control over transfers and with the appointment of Minsilat that just wasn't going to happen. Who would you rather have in charge of our signings? The guy who previously signed Hummels, Dembele,Aubamayang, Lewandowski etc.. or a guy who has never signed anyone in his life?

Emery has won the league at PSG and did a great job at Seville building a good squad and winning the Europa League 3 times.
    Plus he's still young for manager, only 46. I think the appointment makes alot of sense.

14. TheBear

Tactically good. Favours a 4-3-3/4231 formation.

15. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

I can't get over some of the newspapers and pundits complaining about how Arsenal strung Arteta along and then snubbed him.

There hasn't been a single Arsenal announcement about anything. The only people who have strung Arteta along have been the press. I just love silly season. Now the manager thing is over, every player in the Arsenal team are going to be rumoured to be leaving and every player remotely available will be joining us.

Does anyone believe anything in the newspaper these days? Personally I don't even think the date printed on the front is right until I verify it..

TheBear likes this.
  16. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

Happy if it’s true, and it seems to be reported everywhere!

Arteta would have been a big gamble for us to take, but maybe one for the future

17. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

define proven ... yes he win Europa league with one club .. aside from that finished 5th to 7 th in league .. sacked in Russia, average in France with a team of superstars, he finished groups stages behind Arsenal with PSG !!
    meanwhile I agree he had good organisation sense in all his squads which I think is area your team need addressing the most ..
    I will reserve my judgement after 2 seasons, bcz I think first season he need to adopt to PL style. just look to Pep at City at his first season.

18. Bergkampspilot

Bergkampspilot Active Member

You just did it for me so thanks for answering your own question. Winning the Euro cup twice with Seville is something a proven winner can do. He won the French League with a group of stars but you still have to get them to play, again something a manger with a winning mentality does. He is improving and he is only 46. What's not to like unless you're are an opposition fan who's a bit salty

19. TheBear

Average is bit harsh.. I mean he won the League and both domestic Cups (treble) - last Season.
    Also taking Seville from 9th - to 5th and Winning the Europa League 3 x times in 3 Seasons.

Bare in mind he's still a young manager and will be guided by Raul Sahnelli who was Barcelonas Director of Football for the last 15 years. (That's quite a pedigree)

20. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Pochettino still uses Jesus Perez (one of his coaching
    staff - whose English is much better) in press conferences
    to translate the occasional press hack from English to
    Spanish for him, so he can try and precisely answer the
    question.