BREAKING NEWS: EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by moreinjuredthanowen, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Fair play to Gundogan who has now come out and criticised the new CL format. Brilliant

sadiosalah, johnsonsbaby and Zanjinho like this.
  2. Tobes

Tobes Yer Ma
    Forum Moderator

Nice deflection away from the fact that his club had signed up to sack it off next season.

You’ll be telling me next he was crying about the extra games

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  3. moreinjuredthanowen

I was asked for an alternative and provided 2 times per sunday which I should have said meant no 3pm match was required.

I presume you are another who believes the entire continent of asia is a myth and everyone loves getting up at 5am of a saturday to travel to an away game.

4. Tobes

Tobes Yer Ma
    Forum Moderator

No, you said the Sunday times could have been replicated on Saturdays.

They can’t, as there’s 3pms in the EFL & PL every normal game week of the season, you were just plain wrong.

The PL sold packages for the early Saturday KO and the early evening Saturday KO, as they couldn’t overlap the 3pms and Saturday night wasn’t seen as being a popular slot at the time. The decision to broadcast more games was about extending the offering across the weekend. That’s it.

Any perceived benefit in foreign markets is simply a by product of that fact and not the reason it came about, it’s really not complicated.

5. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

I don’t understand why it’s hard to believe that when making a decision on when to put new games on that the they would take all things into account. 1 being when is it suitable and a free slot for uk watchers... oh and it’s also very handy for the Asian market that’s a nice benefit.

certsinly more beneficial than playing it at say 9pm

heck if you want to squeeze more games in, why not play at 10am then? No one plays then.

no one is saying that they only chose the time slot to fit the Asian market. But if you can please 2 sets of fans by playing games at a certain time, compared to at a diff time which only benefits 1 set, it’s common sense to maximise your viewing by going for the former.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  6. moreinjuredthanowen

I only said it was an option mate.

Talk about being desperate to be right.

Tell you what go,Google up 12noon kick offs for Asia and tell me its made up.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  7. Tobes

Tobes Yer Ma
    Forum Moderator

Two key reasons mate. The Asian market only makes up around 11-12% of the total PL TV revenue.

Secondly the argument that the 2 Saturday fixtures were created either specifically for or even largely influenced by this market, just isn’t true, they decided to sell the additional game slots as the domestic TV companies wanted them. 3 pm Saturday was out of bounds for U.K. broadcasters due to the clash with EFL, and multiple other PL games being played in that slot.

What those arguing that it was to suit the Asian markets have seemingly not quite grasped, is that Asian markets actually cried their eyes out and asked for a rebate from the PL last year., as when all games were agreed to be screened during COVID, broadcasters didn’t want the overlap, which only left one PL game max, in the 3 pm slot.Which usually has up to 6 games playing at that time i..e all of the games not selected for the broadcasters paid for slots

As it’s the 3pm Saturday slot that was their preferred choice, as they can offer choice of games for that slot for prime Saturday night viewing . As the foreign broadcasters aren’t restricted by the same 3pm blockout, as so can show all of the PL offerings in that time slot.

8. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

9. Tobes

Tobes Yer Ma
    Forum Moderator

I’m far too good looking for him, and straight, so we can rule that one out. :)

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING likes this.
  10. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Club World Champions. Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Used to be Tobes & Astro, before that Tobes and the late ForeDeckDave

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING likes this.

11. sadiosalah

sadiosalah Active Member

The expansion and tweaking in favour of the richest clubs were only to appease the dirty dozen who insisted on them and had threatened to form a separate league otherwise.

The changes are nonsense and should now be scrapped. Why make a competition worse? The dirty dozen have no leverage now.

12. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

You should have mentioned this at the start! Obviously you were involved in the decision making so know for a fact it’s not true.. would have been a lot easier if you said that on your first post and we could have put this to bed right away.

13. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

of course they have leverage - they are amongst the most marketable footballing brands. They’ll always have leverage. <ok>

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  14. sadiosalah

sadiosalah Active Member

Much much less than before. They have always used the secession threat as the key leverage to get what they want. In England after what happened and with the involvement of the government to help the football authorities, I can’t see the big clubs holding football to ransom for many decades. Now that it has been confirmed that there is a limit to what they can do on their own.

15. Tobes

Tobes Yer Ma
    Forum Moderator

LOL, No need to get tetchy as none of you had bothered to seek the actual facts out before blindly arguing mate.

You’re welcome.

16. Tobes

Tobes Yer Ma
    Forum Moderator

Tbf MITO argues with everyone, often unwittingly himself.

moreinjuredthanowen and Zanjinho like this.
  17. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Club World Champions. Boom!
    Forum Moderator

MITO argues with himself <laugh>

Tobes likes this.
  18. moreinjuredthanowen

yeah ,it has been fun i'll admit.

I am dead right about early kick offs though. peopel need to recall the 11 o clock kick offs way back before the prem and guess what a few sides played those with some player sof interest to asia in them.

GET REAL PEEPS. :) legacy fans lol

19. moreinjuredthanowen

I will admit mate that I have been known the change my mind on something ;)

Tobes likes this.
  20. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

I bet that’s never on grammar <whistle>

Zanjinho and Tobes like this.