1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

BREAKING NEWS: EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by moreinjuredthanowen, Apr 18, 2021.

1. moreinjuredthanowen

I think barca and real are standing alone right now as they are scared witless of bankruptcy. I think genuinely they are "still in" to get money off the others to go away.

2. moreinjuredthanowen

**** the lower leagues :bandit:

Seriously though, theres a time now for the lower leagues to turn the screw. english fans get a raw deal on tv compared to most other countries. Its high time the lower leagues screwed a bit more cash out of the premier league and frankly the blackout is one such time.

the fact is if theres a game at 12 and a game or 5 you are not going to see either if you are going to the local game at 3 are you?

and as I've pointed out 3pm in europe suits no other market :) its too late in asia for a lot of places and the game finishes really late. the fans there still watch on the dodgy box though.

3. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

I don’t think it’s the sole reason but I think it’s naive to think that foreign market isn’t taken into consideration somewhat.

I think it just suits both the more games on a Saturday as well as getting a game on in Asia.

werent we on Saturday lunchtime about 4/5 times this year as well as united. Can’t say it’s a coincidence that two clubs that have huge Asian followings are scheduled to play at a time when it fits in with the Asian markets..

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  4. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

Think Martin Samuel (I try not to like him, but,,,) has made a valid point today in the Hate on this one. Proposing a charter, possibly like the Germans have. Needs to happen, and needs to happen right now. I'm also thinking of some sort of fan elected representative on the board of clubs. Bit hazy, but on the lines of all season-ticket holders would get a vote, and registered, paid up club members would too. I know there's a flaw there that oligarchs and venture capitalists woukld buy up memberships, but something similar seems to work in Germany.

Tobes and Zanjinho like this.
  5. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

Controversial, but here goes - all Prem games need to be televised. The Prem clubs need to at least have the right to make as much money as they can within the prem structure and rules. I'll grab my tin hat...

6. moreinjuredthanowen

They are everywhere else on the planet.

I would personally turn on all the moralistic hypocrites round here and only pay LFC for the games direct.

the 14 v 6 model that the jump up nobodies think they can now fire off all top 6 club representatives will simply not work. It will drive a totally unsustainable wedge between the premier league clubs

hell it'd be cheaper for city to have their cousins buy up 8 championship teams, spend a bit getting them promoted and vote to change the rules lol.

Personally speaking the prem is fine but the league cup needs to go and a winter break should be inserted. the league cup is simply man city's b teams trophy now and nobody cares but dare say to remove it and you are the worst in the world.

I would not even reduce the premier league club numbers. I don't see the need nor point except to help the super league. (project big picture)

johnsonsbaby and Prince Knut like this.
  7. saintKlopp

The discussion wasn't about which matches were selected for each slot, but why those slots exist. And they exist because of the reasons I outlined.

8. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

It sounds good in principle but then look at the league - sure, it's pretty competitive from 2nd place down. But Bayern have a monopoly on this league. And they poach the best players from rivals all the time. It's the same as the PL except we have more teams who do the poaching instead of one club.

Then you have Leipzig .. who everyone hates ...

Zanjinho and saintKlopp like this.
  9. saintKlopp

Why not just exclude PL teams from the LC - surely it's a valuable competition for the rest of the league?

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  10. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Or just exclude those that have qualified for Europe?

Tobes likes this.

11. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I see John Barnes as been talking about the need for a salary cap. Great that he's saying this but ironic too considering there was uproar when he signed a new contract at Liverpool that saw him get £10k per week! Think he was the first to reach that £10k milestone too but could be wrong.

12. moreinjuredthanowen

it is and i see no reason why the championship shouldn't continue.

of course then some asses i nthe prem would demand to stay in cos they will "earn it"

man city b whipping them and them putting out their own b and c sides would be ignroed as they go on a grandstand even to save football for us yank toerags.

13. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Florentino Perez on the reaction to the ESL:

I have never seen such aggressiveness; it was orchestrated. They next day they killed us. They were waiting for us. I think they knew we were going to do it. There were threats, insults, as if we had killed football."

If that's genuine, the guy needs sanctioning!

14. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

New banner...

20210422_150850.jpg

johnsonsbaby and Solid_Air 2 like this.
  15. RogerisontheHunt

RogerisontheHunt Well-Known Member

Perez is still banging on about the ESL like everyone is going to turn around and decide they like his idea.

Doubt Real will ever have to seriously worry about money, the Spanish govt can always cook up some shifty 'deal' for them. But without the ESL they can only afford one £100m player a season, must be a real worry for them.

Prince Knut, saintKlopp and Zanjinho like this.
  16. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

didn’t say argument was about the teams. But it’s naive to think that Asian market had 0 impact. Like I say, don’t think either is the sole reason, I think both reasons worked out nicely for the prem to make even more money...

Let’s no pretend that the prem care about the local fans when arranging a 12:30 fixture for liverpool to travel down to Brighton. It’s aimed purely at tv fans here and abroad.

my point about teams was, the teams with huge Asian followings are probably picked for those games a lot more than others because it fits in nicely. To not think that went through their minds when they agreed to set up that slot is silly.

17. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

the rest of the 14 needs to be careful. We all agree it’s been a ****ty move by the 6, but if they push it too far and don’t let them get back to some sort of normality, the top 6 can start playing to poor us card to their fans... oh look we aren’t getting a say on things, look the 14 don’t want us in the prem anymore... they’re pushing us into a ESL even though we didn’t want to abs we pulled out.

the 14 still need those 6, push it too far and they might push them out altogether as why hang around in a league where you aren’t wanted and have no say.

Prince Knut likes this.
  18. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Problem is the EFL say it’s a huge money earner for those clubs and if you take out the prem clubs that money drops I guess due to tv coverage and attendances (look at the crappy trophy that league 1&2 teams play for that barely gets shown on tv). The interest in LC will disappear from tv audiences if no prem clubs are in it imo

I personally thinks it’s pants and should go, but EFL hate that suggestion

19. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

And with ESL they'd have only been able to afford £250m a season for the same players

Perez is a bellend

20. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Agreed. Don't bite the hand that feeds you ...