1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bradford Vs Gillingham Match Day Hub

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by HOADIE_BOI, Mar 21, 2012.

1. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

Don't let Hess pull the wool over your eyes... the ref wasn't to blame for us throwing away a two goal lead, we were. We were hapless in the second half, Parkinson changed the Bradford formation to 3-4-3 after our second goal and they were all over us from then on. We were just sitting back and our only outlet was Obita, who was subbed by Hess in what has to be the most baffling decision of the season.

2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

BSG - - Leedsgill has also said that the substitution of Obita was a mistake - perhaps Hess thought thought Obita had 'run himself out,' and brought on fresh legs. I accept that Gills were leading a charmed life in the 2nd half - and probably going to concede an equaliser - but it hurts when a goal shouldn't count.

3. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

Unfortunately no Gills fan (or at least none in the away supporters area) will be able to shed any light on the situation as we were at the other end on the pitch, albeit on the side rather than the end, but in a position from which it was impossible to get any perspective on the relative positions of players, so we'll have to wait to see what the video shows.

There was a rather deflated feeling coming away from the match, as ultimately we were probably lucky to get away with a draw, which from 2-0 up is more a testament to Bradford's attacking policy than Gills defence, though I'd have liked to have seen Gills defending higher up the pitch for much of the second half.

And as LeedsGill has commented on the kentonline article, why Obita was taken off is a mystery as Bradford were playing with a back 3 by then, and if ever we needed a player with a bit of pace to play down the wing it was then, and he certainly didn't look to be tiring.

On the back of that I won't be keeping my diary free for 27th May.

4. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

Yeah I was sitting with Leedsgills and ItsTimUpNorth today. Hess may have thought that but it didn't look like he was getting tired and he looked a little reluctant to come off, unlike Kuffor who couldn't wait to come off (he did look knacked though).

I agree that the nature of the equaliser leaves a bitter taste in the mouth but it was the least that Bradford deserved

5. GeminiSwiftgfc

GeminiSwiftgfc Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just a little snippet from Bradford's OS about the equalising goal. Still waiting to see it at this moment in time though.

"Hanson fired home inside the area*following another Reid assist, but the goal was initially ruled out for offside as*Wells wandered across Gills 'keeper Paulo Gazzaniga's line of view with in an offside position.

Incensed by the decision, City's players pleaded with the linesman and referee Mr Mathieson to reverse the decision and give the goal.

Amazingly, the goal was eventually given after over a minute of deliberation to ensure City could stretch their recent unbeaten home record to an impressive eleven games."

Sounds offside to me.

6. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

Just seen the football league show, clearly offside. The lad was standing in the six yard and the ball went between his legs.... how on earth is that not being active?!

7. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

What a joke that we have been conned again, this is the story of League 2.

8. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

I just watched the goal this morning, what a disgrace! It wasn't even the fact it went through his legs, it was that he made an attempt to turn the ball in another direction, thus he was active. I know refereeing is a hard gig and not many people would like to do it but let the linesman do his job! Sure BC had a few goals chalked off for offside but that doesn't mean you can go soft on a decision made by someone in a better position than you. We can't do anything about it now though, it's not like the Football League can reassess it and offer us the points.

In regards to the Obita substitution I believe Hess must have thought that we could see the game out, with our match on Tuesday being the next focus and Obita being a good attacking threat for us, he would be better fresh. We need to get a winning run again to have any chance of an extended season.

9. gills4everandaday

gills4everandaday Active Member

officials have so much to answer for....something needs to be done about who makes these rules and who puts clubs seasons at risk !
    the rule of being active, when offside is questioned is pathetic....your either off or your not, anywhere along the forward line.

another issue, joe martin has been sent off three times this season and for what exactly ???, where as gary alexander for crawley on tuesday should of gone without a doubt and only got a booking...farce, then smacks essam in the mouth.
    even the mcloud on richards moment against barnet...nothing happened, because it's not seen...camera technology is needed...now !!!

there is no balance in the game and uefa & fifa have so much to answer for !

the ref issues should be in the back ground of a match, not the forefront being the main subject !!!

we should be aloud to appeal yesterdays farce and get 3pts...not except what is after the whistle blows, allowing the ref has nothing to answer for, when he's made the biggest blunder !

10. brb

brb Guest

Although I was not at the game Saturday and am trying to remain confident for the final run in, there are something I want to get off my mind...

The ref was our final undoing on Saturday but I have had some concerns certainly over the previous defeats against Crewe and Crawley. It appears we are forcing our back four to hold the line come what may and on Saturday it nearly came off with at least three disallowed Bradford goals. However, this is League Two and the subsequent refereeing that comes with it. You may get away with these tactics in the higher divisions but previously I have seen our defence frozen in holding that line and it was one of concern for me then and one of concern for me now.

I can understand this being employed against the likes of Brighton and Stoke but Bradford, Crewe and Crawley is that the best we have to offer?

Did not want Fish or Martin in the line up, did not want Kuffour up front on his own, taking Obita off, why make Evans travel all the way to Bradford and not even put him on the bench (crazy) - if we do not go up I can think of many reasons why not come the end of the season, if we do manage to get into the playoffs it will be more the question how did we pull that one off.

I still believe anything is possible remaining with my 76 point target but I did not feel the confidence going in to the Bradford game and to be fair we brought home one point more than I even expected.

Squad for Tuesday, I need time to calm down and think about this one before going to Hoadies thread and posting it, I can assure you it will not include Fish and Martin.

11. gillslad69

gillslad69 Member

I've been in Lincoln for quite a while so can only really rely on other users' views and post match videos so I can't really comment on how well Matt Fish has played but whenever I've been back Martin has been a worry. It almost seems as if he is more suited to a left midfield role, he is good at crossing and getting forward but is far too slow to cover up the holes left behind him. Looking at the Bradford game they are a team that has been battling out results recently, especially at Valley Parade (beating Oxford there) but if we are two to the good we should be able to finish it off by attacking the goal still.

I still believe that Hess is a good manager for us and has achieved a number of signings that really have piqued my interest, particularly noting the signings of Whelpdale and Lee. I don't believe it was the club that interested them but Hess, his man management has been a mile better than the cold atmosphere that was in place between Stimson and the squad.

12. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

The ref over-turned the linesman in what was a clear offside decision, had that not occurred we would have taken all 3 points. Now if people want to criticize Hess that's fine but please lets not blame him for official incompetence. Bradford have taken 20 out of their 40 points from teams above us, they are unbeaten at home since November, without the refs help we would have come away from the game winning but Hess should have known that the ref was a twelth man and set up accordingly.

13. brb

brb Guest

grumpy - I'm pleased you stated that Bradford are unbeaten at home since November and taken 20 points out of 40 from teams above us. I hope the same principle applies to Burton this coming Tuesday, any one that has done their homework on the stats (I have), will know that their current point per game over the last eight games is ZERO. That is not even touching the worst part of their record.

Also I rarely criticise Hessy. As I attempted to clearly state the tactics employed are beyond the capability of league two referees, quite right that is not Hessy's fault. However, it really does not matter who's fault it is at the end of the day if said tactics cost you the points.

If your climbing a mountain with sub standard ropes and one breaks, despite your own personal capabilities you can blame the rope as much as you like but it will not help you when your laying in the bottom of the ravine.

14. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

There is no way of proving that either way Grumpy, but being at the game I have to tell you that the equaliser was coming, and while the ref made a huge error on this decision we were not creating anything in the second half.

Unfortunately it was the same thing that happened at Port Vale, Parkinson made taticial changes to their system and Hess failed to react. As much as I like Hess I do worry that he lacks the tactical knowledge to change a game if things aren't going our way.

15. HOADIE_BOI

I can't believe what the ref done, he is a joke, the linesman see what happened he said no goal and he over rides it, what a cock, the player inpeeded the ball in a offside position fair enough if he was not there it was going in and maybe he was trying to move out the way but he got a touch to it, where he was in an offside position so it should not stand, he has cost us 2 points and that pisses me right off.

16. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

The final score was 2 - 2, had the ref not screwed up and awarded a goal that shouldn't have been, then the final score would be 1 - 2. I don't care how bad people say we were, or how good they were, the fact is without the ref screwing up we would have taken all 3 points.

17. HOADIE_BOI

I think we would have taken all 3 points as well, and that would have been an important extra 2 points with Oxford only drawing, sadly every time this happens we don't profit, or we do and it gets taken away by a **** ref, so annoyed.

18. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

I understand where you are coming from but it is largely conjector now, but yes it was a shocking decision<grr>

19. HOADIE_BOI

Who thinks we can still make the play offs now?
    I am personally not sure.

20. brb

brb Guest

After watching the video, I believe the key decision between the ref and lino was did the player touch the ball?

So let us say the answer is NO, we then proceed to ask about gaining an advantage or movement interfering with play or obstructing the keepers view.

If you have Gills Player freeze the video at 2.21 seconds, when the ball was last played NO ONE was obstructing Gazza'a view/movement, then at 2.23 seconds movement then obstructed Gazza's view.

So the question would be is the opposing player movement in itself being a distraction of the goalkeeper in breach of the offside rule AFTER the ball was played?

Let me say I felt a Bradford player should have received a yellow card for attempting to grab at the linos flag, also it was wrong for the ref to force the assistants flag down after such incident. The lino appeared adamant it was offside and kept his flag up accordingly until forced not to do so.

Edit: I forgot to mention it did appear to me as though Gazza was caught very slightly wrong footed but not due to any obstruction.