1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

BR tactics

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by suarez14, Feb 5, 2013.

1. suarez14

suarez14 Member

I know this may seem harsh, since we got two good results against Arsenal and Man City. But I think maybe we could have/ should have won both games.

The point is, that around the 70-75 mins mark we was getting stretched and struggling to keep the ball. I would have bought on Borini and Sterling, as both are direct and fresh legs. Suarez looked tired as did Downing.

2. mighty_stevie_g

mighty_stevie_g Well-Known Member

It's just inevitable away from home when your leading a top team they are going to be the ones pressing towards the end imo.

Can't believe Reina's rush of blood to his head as aguero was going no where but we are improving hugely!

If BR threw sterling on at 2-2 and we lost people would be going mental about that decision and rightly so because it would have been the wrong thing to do.

Maybe at Anfield it MAY have been justified <ok>

3. The artist JerryChristmas

The artist JerryChristmas "Massive old member"

BR has made questionable decisions at times (young, inexperienced manager etc) but I think he deserves credit for getting two very good performances out of the team. With hindsight he could have done things differently but if he can get those sorts of performances until the end of the season we'll have a good run in.

4. Style

Style 'where is the love'

You should try some tactics which don't involve passing it around your own half when you could be attacking the opponents.

5. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

Really?

We've scored more league goals than two of the teams above us so what advice would you give them?, oh and you should try to stop teams attacking you as often as you've conceded only one goal less than the team in 7th place.:smile:

6. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

I've been super critical about BR's tactics, especially against Stoke, Oldham et al.....and rightly so, imo he's got it wrong in quite a few games.

However, against City & Arsenal, I have fewer complaints about tactics although I do feel that we have an unbalanced blend of defence versus attack....the way we are playing now, we are virtually sure to concede. Is this down to individual errors ala Reina? Possibly but it may be attributed to tactics.....Teams get behind us too easily; not hard when your full backs are bombing forward.....and we leave too much space between midfield and defence so teams can run at our defence with ease.... I'd still like it to be tightened up a lot. You can, of course, argue that in possession, this will not happen but that's a little naive imo.

7. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

I think he's learning. Provided you learn from your mistakes, you're moving in the right direction <ok>

8. The artist JerryChristmas

The artist JerryChristmas "Massive old member"

I agree to a certain extent and there's definitely a balance issue with the team. However I think Rodgers identified lack of goals as a problem...let's be honest it wasn't hard to identify that. The problem if he tries to tighten up at the back (keeps full backs pushed back etc) then the goals could quickly dry up again. I now actually think he's going the right way. The whole point of this system is that it works best when we are in the opposition half, closing down defenders, trying to win the ball back quickly and utilising the three forward players.

There have been games where the tactics have been wrong but the last few (league) games I think he's got spot on. Arsenal are hopeless at the back when faced with any half decent team (but still very good going forward) and every time we've gone to City lately and tried to sit back we've been easily beaten.

Rodgers is a young manager and he's learning. He will get things wrong again but I'd rather he learned whilst encouraging attacking football than trying to bore teams to death.