1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Boycott the Southampton game

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Jerel Ifil, Jan 18, 2012.

1. The-Don

The-Don Well-Known Member

Cunning ;)

we all know that you can't be a ****, ****s are useful :)

2. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Best days of my life in the 80s travelling over to watch the whites. TBH I was in my twenties and had more energy then, but the atmosphere home and away was IMO more exciting and scary at times. You had to watch your back going to Chelsea, Newcastle and the like. Like I say, it was a different time back then. The miners strike was a horrible time and many of the service crew were involved with that.
    It's a much safer environment now and a bit sterile IMO. I hate Bates, but it's always been about the team/players rather that the politics of the board and chairman for me.

3. lifecheshirewhite

That's cos we didn't know you were reading ----.<laugh>.see your owner taking lessons from bates,morison money gone.

4. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Ill have to take your word for that mate. Due to the economics here, I won't have the spare cash for a visit at all this year. Lucky to be able to keep my sky subscription going or wouldn't be able to catch any of the Whites action. After forty years a supporter I regard myself as at least as passionate about my club as many who go every week

5. lifecheshirewhite

not easy when times are hard m8.lived in NZ for a few years a while ago.When I would come back,1 month at a time,would go as many games as i could get tickets for,spend a small fortune in the club shop and have a few beers.
    That's why I get so pissed off,when a Leeds fan calls fellow fans scabs for doing just that.We don't all travel 3 miles to home games.

6. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Spot on. Up to now Ive made it over once or twice a year with two of my daughters also Leeds fans of course. One of them now in college so the purse strings will be at full stretch for another year till she finishes that. Its one reason why these forums are so important to us supporters living abroad.

7. lifecheshirewhite

<cheers>.m8. not going to say any more on the subject,think he knows how I feel about his comment.usually get on with Leeds 18 he's ok.just frustrated,fed up and angry like the rest of us I guess.

8. Cunning

Cunning Member

Don't forget he's a yorkshire **** like the rest of ya too! ;)

9. MarkoLUFC

MarkoLUFC Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I won't be boycotting this match in practice but will be in spirit. All going well I should be getting a freebie in Paul Reaney's executive box - and that's not a euphemism.

Expecting a good showing at the protests though, I'd assume those who are showing up will be protesting before the game.

10. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

LCW, I apologize for the scab comment, but I still think it's a shame people keep pumping extra money into the club. And I regret to say it, but if there were some sort of demo to block people going into the club shop, I'd take part in it. It's a shame that Bates has divided fans in this way, but it's not a situation where I'd happily say 'let's put on a brave face and just ignore the board's workings at the top of the club', because like I say, I think if we do that Bates will be here for at least another seven years. And I couldn't live with myself if I didn't try and do something about that. I still respect every Leeds fan and would happily have a pint or a chat with someone carrying a programme or buying club merchandise, not like I see them as sub-human, just wrong!

I have a 200 mile round trip for home games which is probably further than you, and I try to get to as many aways as I can so it's not like I can walk to Elland Road and it wouldn't mean something to me to be able to buy stuff from the club again and feel like I was rightly supporting them with my money. It's not like I'm putting myself first here in my opinion, it's a matter of side before self as a wee Scotsman might have put it.

True, I didn't include ALL expenditure since I've no idea what we spend on admin costs, repairs, tax and stuff like that. But even if you imagine they cost millions upon millions, there's still a huge imbalance and it doesn't affect the points about YR, Mark Taylor, the court case and the 'other costs'. They are unforgivable. The money from them alone could have assured us promotion.

Lorimer apparently said the initial fee was 6m at the Surrey Whites LOTR event, rising to 8m based on appearances etc. Can't see why he'd lie about that one given that it paints the club in a bad light.

I said 7m on wages since the 9m also includes transfer fees and agent payments. And yeah, also the 2m overspend which is hardly staggering. 11/12m is not enough to get a team promotion to account for wages, transfer fees and agent payments. All the teams in the top six have probably got a higher budget than that if not more teams.

Hang on, are you sure about that? Our average ticket price across the whole stadium accounting for STs, cheap band prices and expensive band prices across all the categories is probably around 27 quid, right? And 27 x 24000 gives us 648,000 each home game. That's 14,904,000 over the course of the season. And it doesn't account for cup games either. The scum game must have made us at least 500,000. And none of this includes executive/corporate hospitality areas either.

I'm telling you, home match tickets make the club way more than 9-11m a season and there will be at least 5m left over from the rental payments. Can't remember how much we're paying a year for rent - I seem to remember the figure being 2.5m. So yeah, we're making a killing.

My dad and my uncle used to regularly go and they have some fairly amusing tales of trips to Tottenham and the like! But they also said that if you kept yourself to yourself, it would be fine, and the atmosphere was almost always electric, nothing like even the loudest games today. Do you enjoy going to Elland Road more in 2011 than you might have done in, say, 87?

But how does it affect them? When a player on the football pitch hears fans shouting 'Bates out', what's the mental process that suddenly makes them play worse? Don't get me wrong, I think they perform better when supported loudly and I wish our fans would do that more enthusiastically, but it doesn't mean there still won't be silences which can be filled with anti-Bates stuff. It seems pointless to let him win by just taking it, if you know what I mean?

11. lifecheshirewhite

Leeds 18.Thanks for apology,worked out the income myself as soon as I saw it,if you factor in free season ticket matches,early renewal prices,and a few thousand kids at £11+,brings it down close to his figures.
    Atmosphere was better in the 80's mainly due to standing,seats killed the atmosphere at every ground not just ours.Best just move on ay,don't think we will ever agree on this one.:smile: