1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Boycott the Southampton game

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Jerel Ifil, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Jerel Ifil

Jerel Ifil Well-Known Member

Kill the cancer to cure the patient. But the chemo won't be pleasant.

2. MarkoLUFC

MarkoLUFC Well-Known Member

We're fluid enough to spend maybe about a third of what Leicester have on transfers and half what they do on wages and still be well in the black. Assuming we don't spend it on important things like East Stand developments and hotels for corporate bigwigs to stay in.

3. lifecheshirewhite

No it doesn't,and we did have worse owners before Bates.That's why we have bates now.Bates is **** but we've had lots of crap owners,the 80's were pretty much the same as now.

4. lifecheshirewhite

<applause>.exactly.support the club not Bates.some on here hate bates first,love Leeds 2nd.
    Should be love Leeds first,hate bates 2nd.:emoticon-0148-yes:

5. Jerel Ifil

In the 80s, did millions go missing from the club? Did we charge rip-off prices? Did we prioritize a doomed hotel over the team? Did the owners hold the fans in contempt? Was the atmosphere around the club one of silence and bored expectation? I wasn't there, but I'd suggest the answer is 'no' to all the above. And that's why it's worse at the moment.

There is no ranking of order between 'love Leeds' and 'hate Bates'. Hating Bates comes as a consequence of loving Leeds, because it means you want what is best for the club you love. Giving him 20m a season is not doing what's best for the club, it's keeping him in charge. Ten more years, yippee.

6. lifecheshirewhite

Talk about exaggerating everything.As for the 80's were just like now,not much investment,yes they did hold the fans in contempt even banned us from several away games.did money go missing.?.maybe yes,never any for players and sold best players.
    As for hating bates more than you love Leeds.once the game started were you supporting Leeds or shouting bates out.bates out before and after the game fine,not during the game though.

7. Jerel Ifil

Where exactly have I exaggerated, and how? Everything I've said I can provide facts for if you want.

So it was on a par for transfer policy and fan engagement. But there wasn't a hotel which was a priority, the fans weren't charged insane prices and there wasn't a crappy matchday atmosphere. Sounds like a better time to be Leeds to me, and we didn't get relegated to the third division in that time either.

I did both. A 90 minute game is a long time. I supported the team louder than anyone else around me - not trying to show myself for some sort of superfan, but I was getting behind the lads and using my voice. And yes, I did sing Bates out at times when there were no pro-team songs going round. I still don't see why that is a bad thing. I don't value Bates out chants more than pro-team chants, and like I say, there is no direct comparison to be made between 'love Leeds' and 'hate Bates'. One is a consequence of the other. It's like saying 'do you love England or hate David Cameron'? Well you can do both, and one as a consequence of the other, just as an example.

8. lifecheshirewhite

ok show me the £20 million bates keeps taking out of the club.
    No there was no hotel but crappy atmosphere yes and crowds down big time.
    Shouting bates out instead of supporting the team does and did affect the team imo.

9. Jerel Ifil

I never said he takes 20m out of the club at a time, just that it's how much comes in from Elland Road merchandise, tickets etc. But I'll give you some instances of where money has gone missing:

Delph sale - 6m rising to 8m.
    James Milner and Matt Kilgallon add-ons - 1-2m
    Tom Taiwo and Michael Woods - 4m
    Danny Rose - 500k
    George Swann - 500k
    Luke Garbutt - 500k
    Surplus ticket proceeds that didn't go towards the breakeven figure - at least 5m
    TV Cup ties - 3-4m
    Merchandise and Elland Road stuff - 12-15m a season

Where it's gone some of the time:

Yorkshire Radio - 750k
    'Other costs' - 5m last season alone
    Wages for loanees - probably paid for by the TV money we've got for cup clashes
    Wages for the first team - covered by the 7m TV money we get, the other 2m Bates mentioned in his notes will be for transfer and agent fees.
    Building schemes - probably the vast majority of it

So you can see how it's being spent on absolute **** that Leeds fans have no interest in. And in some cases, just plain stolen as 'other costs'. But like say, I imagine the bulk of it is going into the property development ****.

Whenever I've spoken to people who were there, they said the atmosphere was magical and no different from the 70s, except with fewer people there. At the moment, you can hear a pin drop at Elland Road, even in the supposedly most passionate areas of the Kop which the stewards will soon start to work their magic on.

For the umpteenth time, it's not INSTEAD of supporting the team, it's ALONGSIDE it. I do both. How can you possibly sing Leeds songs for all 90 minutes, they'd run out after the first half. Go on then, do tell me what about fans singing 'Bates out' makes the players play badly?

10. lifecheshirewhite

well looking at your figures the income seems too high,and expenditure too low.For example I've never seen the Delph fee mentioned anywhere near your amount.The highest I've seen previous being 6 mill after a lot of games and playing for England.none of which he's done yet.Recon the fee so fare 2-3 mill.
    Players budget for this season 11.722m so far,not 7m.
    Bates says ticket sales for 24,000.=9-11mill so to get extra 5m we would have to sell out every game.
    80's was very aggressive,anger and frustration would regularly turn into riots and a fair few who went weren't even Leeds fans.The NF would often be at away games as would fans of many other clubs,,I personally know of lads who supported man u,city,Liverpool & met about 10 millwall at 1 away game.
    When fans were shouting bates out they weren't shouting for Leeds,of coarse it affects the team.seen it on sat,it did.

11. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

I respect my fellow fans views, I'm certainly not going to slag off my fellow supporters who don't happen to agree with my own opinions. After many many years supporting this club, no one will tell me how I should support the club.
    These comments aren't directed at anyone in particular. I'm just surprised at some of the things being said between our fans. Marching on together my arse.

12. MarkoLUFC

MarkoLUFC Well-Known Member

Anyone who trusts Bates is an idiot. The main issue we have with him is that we can't trust a word he says. He's such a con artist; we know it, he knows it, the whole damn club knows it, yet he sits there giving us facts and telling us we're ungrateful and trying to convince us we're "wrong" fully aware that not a word he says can be trusted.

13. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Who said Bates wasn't an idiot?

14. lifecheshirewhite

My sentiments exactly m8,and no one will tell me.What really pis--d me off is a person not old enough to remember the miners strike call fellow fans scabs for supporting their team.I look like I'm supporting bates I'm not I hate the guy.

15. bigfatboab

bigfatboab Well-Known Member

Everyone has the right to voice their opinion both outside the ground and when inside ER, my only concern (raised by others as well) is the impact of the anger and anti Bates voices is having on the team, we should maybe consider this when actually what is needed is our full support.

16. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Don't agree there. We've been ****e in most matches at home this season regardless of what is being chanted. I've a feeling the current crop are more likely to put in a performance in front of an empty Elland road. If you use your logic, the fans can't protest at all for fear of upsetting a few players that have little or no interest in resigning for us anyway, so bates will be with us till he croaks

17. lifecheshirewhite

If you went on sat you would have seen for yourself,only when fans shut up about bates and started to support the team did things pick up.If your singing about bates your not singing Leeds.Anti-bates chanting should be before and after game only,he wasn't even there.

18. The-Don

The-Don Well-Known Member

The one thing that pisses me off is Bates said on Yorkshire Radio that they budget for 22k attendances, cup runs player sales aren't considered so over the past few seasons we have had average of around 27k average plus decent cup runs,

How the **** can we still be making a loss before player sales? surely his budgetting is all ****ed up?

19. The-Don

The-Don Well-Known Member

Saturday Pugh ****ed up n lost the ball n got Boo'd that ****ing riled me, why turn up to boo the team?

20. Cunning

Cunning Member

Or he's a thief?
    Must say chums i'm enjoying reading this livley debate. Its the longest any of you have gone without calling me a **** for a long time.
    Congrats <applause>