1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Boxing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 17, 2015.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Seems a very likeable and confident bloke

2. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Yeah he comes off that way Ron, and maybe he is good to be around. He's had a very interesting life though, but some of it's pretty ugly.

3. Cyclonic

Amazing fight from 2005, another fight of the year. Corrales v Castillo. Brutal stuff.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

****ing hell Cyc, that was a battle. Two tough buggers who looked as though they would have fought to the death. Who'd be a boxer?

Cyclonic likes this.
  5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was in the ring once and I remember thinking, "Why does his fist look so big?"

Then it hit me.

Actually thinking back on that fight above. If the one in red shorts had the sense to go down when the first big shot went in, he would have been able to fight on. The other bloke went down more easily but by the time he had taken a count and gone back to his corner to have his mouth piece washed and re-inserted, his head had cleared. In the end it was very close to manslaughter

Cyclonic likes this.
  6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

My grandson goes to boxing. It's good for keeping fit (although he has football training 4 times a week and plays on Saturdays), but I think I'll show him that fight to make sure he doesn't take up boxing <ok>

Cyclonic likes this.
  7. Cyclonic

Ricky Burns and Julius Indongo will be all out to unify the WBA, IBF & IBO Super Lightweight belts in Scotland tonight. Burns goes in as an 8-15 chance while Indongo is at 7-4 according to Oddschecker. I don't know how good Burns is, but I know even less about Indongo. He's a real mystery. Next to nobody knew anything of him when he left Namibia for the firt time last last December. After 20 fights at home he went to Russia as a complete underdog against the IBF & IBO champ, the unbeaten knockout merchant, Eduard Troyanovsky, a man who'd won 22 of his 25 bouts inside the distance. Here the man known as the Blue Machine launched himself onto the world stage in spectacular fashion. What can this man bring to the table against a hungry Burns?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  8. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Don't know anything about Burns Cyc but I wouldn't be wanting odds on against this Indongo chap. He has a very long reach and a thunderous right hand. Depends whether Indongo can take a punch. Should be interesting

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This Josh Kelly lad looked pretty decent on his début. Will be interesting to watch his progress

10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Looks as though it could be around 30 mins to the big fight. Anyone watching?

11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So easy for Indongo. Won every round

12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Some weird scoring there. How anyone could give Burns a round or even a drawn round, I don't know. This was as one sided as you get

13. Cyclonic

Serious beating Ron. There was no way on earth that Burns could beat Indongo from the outside. Indongo didn't just have the reach advantage, he was a much better boxer and was far busier. He had to get into Indongo's face and turn it into trench warfare, but he clearly wasn't up to it. Outclassed.

14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Agreed Cyc. Odds on and looking like the 20/1 outsider

15. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Ricky Burns has being kidding the general public for years now. How he is a 3 weight world champion is beyond me. Just shows how many 'world' titles are out there that this bloke has won 3 of them at 3 different weights

beeforsalmon likes this.
  16. Cyclonic

Joseph v Klitschko. We're inside the last couples of weeks now, here's hoping that the bout is better than the Gloves Off chat between the combatants. Over the last few days I've been looking at Vlad's form of late, and I don't like what I see. I'd forgotten what I'd seen in the past. Putting aside his miserable effort against Fury, the two fights before that were a bit of an eye opener. The amount of hugging he did against Jennings and Pulev bordered on an evening of sweaty romance. I was waiting for the heavy breathing to break out. Watching the way he stood off against Pulev before charging in behind a jab or right hand, then wrestling, filled me with the feeling that Vlad has serious concerns when it comes to being hit in the face. Of course we all do, but we're not world class fighters. Even after dumping Pulev a couple of times in the first, he didn't really press it. He eventually stopped an outclassed Pulev in five, but he wasn't about to expose his chin. Nothing wrong with that, Mayweather was a past master at it, but I can't help but feel Joseph will tag him. Of course as seen in this bout, Vlad can drop the hammer too. A knockout either way is a real possibility.

Have a look at the vid below, it's quite telling. I don't know how he's going to deal with Joseph, but I think he has a real problem on his hands. If he, as he's been doing of late, refuses to let his hands go, he gives A J a huge advantage. The young bloke is probably the biggest bomber in the business today. If A J doesn't have the suspected weak jaw that some believe, I think he should play this thing on the front foot. Hunt down the old bloke and hopefully smack him hard enough to make him think long and hard about whether he wants to get involved in the old Boston Two Step. Nothing better than two of the best big guys doing battle. We've already had some great fights this year, but none hold a candle to this bout. It might turn out to be a complete fizzer, but the expectation will be huge.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  17. redcat1

redcat1 Well-Known Member

You mean Joshua cyc ?

Absolutely buzzing for this, never been to an boxing event before but was lucky enough to get floor seats when they went on sale

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  18. Cyclonic

Nice one Red, I'm on the Joshua train too. <ok>

19. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've always claimed Klitschko was over rated and afraid of being hit. Which is why I was fairly confident that the bigger, faster Fury, with a longer reach would give Klitschko big problems. Joshua is a different proposition; he doesn't have these advantages which may allow Klitschko to keep him at bay with spoiling tactics. If Joshua catches him cleanly Klitschko will run and you will see the fear in his eyes. If Klitschko catches Joshua cleanly, it will be interesting to say the least. Remember, he wasn't that far from being taken out by Dylan White. Can't call this one but by round 2 I expect it to become apparent which way it will go - if it hasn't already gone.

20. Cyclonic

According to The Telegraph, Joseph and Klitschko will evenly split a 20 million pound purse. Expectations are that pay per view sales will be 40 million pounds. God knows what the gate will be, but it'll be huge. There will be a lot of hangers on to be fed, but both men will make a **** load.

On a side note, Vlad has noted that since the Lamon Brewster bout where he was knocked in 2004, he became a defencive and boring fighter. He now says that because he no longer has anything to lose, he'll throw caution to the wind against Joshua. I hope so, it'll make for even more of a spectacle.