1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Boxing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 17, 2015.

1. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

I mean I'll probably watch it or at least the highlights if there are any. It's slim pickings on the boxing front at the moment all dominated by 'celebrity' fights, ridiculous exhibition fights or the piss poor heavyweight division that we have to make do with

2. Dancingbraveforever

Dancingbraveforever Well-Known Member

Yeah I know what you mean. If these crap matches continue to happen I'll be forced to have to engage in conversation with my other half.

Joe_z and smokethedeadbadger like this.
  3. smokethedeadbadger

Haha

4. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

With the exception of the David Lemieux bout, I've not seen too much in him. After that fight, I though he could be anything, but it just hasn't happened.

5. Dancingbraveforever

He is more than happy to carry on fighting bums for a belt that none of the big boys actually want.

Cyclonic likes this.
  6. Dancingbraveforever

Incredibly distasteful comment i made . Anyone who steps in a boxing ring is unbelievably brave and should not be called a bum.

Cyclonic and smokethedeadbadger like this.
  7. smokethedeadbadger

Thats very gracious of you mate but i've been to fights where i'd have stepped in the ring for the pay day that they got and i'm a right fanny

Ron and Cyclonic like this.
  8. Cyclonic

9. Cyclonic

It looks as though Billy Joe's cherry picking days might just be coming to an end. Merely minutes after his easy win over Martin Murray, the WBO President Paco Valcárcel congratulated Saunders on the win and ordered Eddie Hearn to advise within 10 days if Saunders would face either Canelo or Andrade. If he doesn't face either one, the WBO will order him to face a mandatory fighter chosen by the Championship Committee.

Away from Canelo and maybe Jacobs, the WBO rankings look pretty thin though.

10. Cyclonic

And what of the Errol Spence - Danny Garcia bout? Spence puts his WBC & IBF Titles on the line against the former unified Super Lightweight Champion and former WBC Welterweight Champion Garcia. Spence is making his first appearance in the ring since that horror car crash in October of 2019. Questions are being asked about whether he's the same man he was before accident. Bookies seem to think so. But almost half of the so called boxing experts are giving Garcia a live chance to roll the champ. Garcia has only been beaten twice, and both time on points. (Thurman & Porter) He's renowned for having a decent chin. He also has a wicked left hook. He gives Spence nearly 2 inches in height, and 4 in reach.

But it been a while since Garcia ruled with an iron fist thogh. In a brilliant 4 year period from 2012 - 2016, he went through Erik Morales, Amir Khan, Erik Morales, Zab Judah, Lucas Matthysse, Lamont Peterson, Paul Malignaggi and Samuel Vargas. At 32, maybe he still has some fire in him, but against Spence, Garcia will have to draw on that brilliance of old. I wish him well.

2-7 Spence.
    7-2 Garcia.

11. Cyclonic

1-6. Yarde.
    21-4. Arthur.

12. Dancingbraveforever

Slim pickings exactly. I'm sure Hearn/Saunders will quite happy with a weak mandatory opponent.

13. Cyclonic

14. Cyclonic

15. Cyclonic

Twenty years ago, two fighters who would later be inducted into the Hall of Fame, put their World Super Welterweight Titles on the line in Las Vegas. 6 knock downs and a couple of point deductions just added extra spice.

16. Cyclonic

I wonder if the boxing divisions are about to undergo a transformation? A little while ago the WBC announced it was interested in a new weight class, something they called Bridgerweight. It'll be jammed in between Cruiserweight and Heavyweight. The new division will be for fighters in the weight category 200 - 224 pounds. Mauricio Sulaiman is of the opinion that the Heavyweights of today are too big for the old status to continue. It's too hard for a 200 fighter to challenge someone around 250 pounds and who stands 6'6" height.

Today the WBC took it's first step in that direction when it released it's proposed top 15 for the weight. Who knows whether this will get off the ground, I don't thing the other sanctioning bodies are all that hot on the concept at the moment, but if the WBC forces the issue and actually make it official, how do the others react? It certainly messes things up, but the idea has merit. And it's hardly the first time a new division has been introduced into the sport. I don't know if I like it or not. But I have the feeling that if the WBC actually do this, others in time will probably follow suit. What a mess.

PROVISIONAL WBC BRIDGERWEIGHT RANKINGS.

1. OSCAR Rivas.
    2. Ryad MERHY.
    3. KEVIN LERENA.
    4. DMITRY KUDRYASHOV.
    5. EVGENY ROMANOV.
    6. BRYANT JENNINGS.
    7. ARTUR SZPILKA.
    8. ALEN BABIC.
    9. JOEL TAMBWE DJEKO.
    10. SHIGABUDIN ALIEV.
    11. MARCO HUCK.
    12. BILAL LAGGOUNE.
    13. SAMUEL KADJE.
    14. RASHID KODZOEV.
    15. ISAAC CHAMBERLAIN.

17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think I have heard of one of those.

I thought we had a super heavyweight division

18. Cyclonic

Super heavyweight is an amateur class Ron. Amateur heavies can't weigh more than 201 pounds, above that limit is the realm of the super heavyweights. In pro boxing, any fighter who weighs over 200 pounds is a heavy.

Dancingbraveforever likes this.
  19. Cyclonic

Joshua v Pulev is getting close now.

20. Cyclonic

1-8. Anthony Joshua.
    7-1. Kubrat Pulev.

1-6. Hughie Fury.
    11-2. Mariusz Wach.

1-20. Laurence Okolie.
    12-1. Nikodem Jezewski.