1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Bournemouth v Cardiff City, Premier League Part

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Masky, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Like the guy but needs support. A bit lightweight on his own up front - needs someone to play off. Zohore or even Madine <doh> would fit the bill.

I expect him to score regularly with the right players around him. Our new midfield with Camarasa from Real Betis and Harry Arter joining Joe Ralls should make all the difference. Early days yet but there is enough in the squad to avoid the drop - that is our only intention. <ok>

2. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

You'll get a much better picture after two or three games, the more you can keep the ball at this level, the less teams can hurt you, but your work level off the ball has to be far more intense in the PL, your players will find they have less time on the ball, as teams here are very quick to close you down, trouble is that NW has experience of the PL, but not much success, staying up will simply depend on the fact that there will be 3 teams worse than you, not much to get excited about though is it?............<laugh>

3. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I agree Phil, but you didn't manage it last year did you.........<laugh>

On your other point about time on the ball, I think you're wrong. There is an argument for holding the ball more as you allude, but that won't figure as part of a sea change in strategy from Warnock. He will look to let other teams pass it around in their own half, but make use of the ball when we have it with quick breaking.

Whether it'll work or not remains to be seen, but at least I'm sure we'll give it a go. <ok>

4. DragonPhilljack

It worked two out of three, for our poor last three seasons!!..........<whistle>

5. DragonPhilljack

Letting teams get into their stride, is a deadly recipe in the PL, Clement tried it and failed miserably, sitting back deep will cost you, though you might not have any other option with some of the top 10 teams............<laugh>

6. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Phil - not saying we should sit deep - you're asking for trouble if you hold a deep line against Prem quality players. Nothing wrong with a more direct approach and that doesn't mean holding a line on your penalty box and launching.

We have the pace now to hurt other sides - something we've lacked for years. Win the ball and send it forward with one or two passes instead of twenty to get over the half way line. Murphy, Reid, Hoilett and even big Ken Zohore can outstrip a lot of defenders but they need the ball quickly without the faffing around.

7. DragonPhilljack

I can see you can break quickly, but there is no end purpose from what I could see, I know it's unfair to judge on one game, but your strategy around the opposition box looks none existent.

8. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

You would be stupid to judge on one game - and not even you are that stupid........<laugh>

The new midfield guys hold the answer for me. We have had a defence and an attack (of sorts) but with very little in between. Let's see what happens when Camarasa and Arter join Ralls in the middle of the park - then judge.

9. DragonPhilljack

I did notice you had very little midfield presence, by the way I did watch all the game, both teams were poor by the way.......<ok>

10. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Agreed, but we have the ability as well as the need to get better - I doubt Bournemouth have......<ok>

DragonPhilljack likes this.