1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Bournemouth v Cardiff City, Fug Me....Small Team This!

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Masky, Feb 22, 2021.

1. robbiethemole

robbiethemole Well-Known Member

Cheers mate, all except one maybe with a H and a 24 hahahahha (no offence)

clingo likes this.
  2. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh>

None taken.

Nothing against Coventry. Somewhere ive got a signed copy of the Coventry FA Cup team courtesy of Dave Bennett.

You wouldnt have conceded that goal last night (shocking defending and goalkeeping) with Killer and Ogrizovic.

Even at the age they are now.

robbiethemole and clingo like this.
  3. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Super result if not necessarily a spectacular one. Everyone did a job to the best of their abiltiy and that's all you can ask of any side you send out.

Can't say I altogether agreed with Mick's substitutions on the hour and also the lack of them during the last 15 minutes. I can understand the reason for Bacuna (who I like), but he looked a bit disinterested now that he's on the bench. It was a chance to blood Williams who would have caused Bournemouth far more trouble in their own half - we allowed them to come on to us because there was little threat behind them.

Moore should have come off with 15/20 minutes to go - he was shattered. Likewise with Williams on the pitch, Harris or Watters with their pace would have made them think twice before pouring forward - our back 3/5 looked much fresher later in the game than previously but were picked open on times because of the lack of an out ball and fresh legs for us at our sharp end - Keiffer was so isolated in that last 20 minutes although Ojo did a good job trying to keep him company.

We have 5 subs available now and only two were used again - and that was on the hour. Maybe the mantra of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is going to tire out key players who need a break - and not give those "hopefuls" sitting on the bench a chance to stake a claim.

Having said all that - you can't do any better than go away to a very good side and come back with 3 points.

clingo likes this.
  4. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

Have to say, I applauded the changes on the hour mark.

I thought Murphy had started to have less of an effect and thought they were getting too much joy down our right flank against Ng so figured Ojo was seen as someone who'd lend more of a hand (not criticising Murphys efforts though, he put in a good shift again).

Bacuna also made sense but I think losing Wilson's assuredness when trying to break out contributed to our lack of an outlet as you identified Sparky.

I also think we need to credit Bournemouth for stepping up their efforts big time in the 2nd half.
    Their pace and movement were so much better.
    Sadly Pack's slip/error came just as we looked like we were starting to get a bit more of a foothold again and it just encouraged Bournemouth to press even more.

In saying all this though, the boys did the job again and for that they can't be faulted.

I also agree we probably should have looked to get a few more bodies out there though, especially to replace poor Keifer. That guy is really taking a battering game in game out for the cause.

clingo likes this.
  5. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Good points well made sparkey.
    I would however say (and I'm trying not to drift into blind faith here) that Mick has already clearly demonstrated that he can get the most out of each of his players. On that basis and the fact that he's now had a number of games to further strudy them, he'll be aware of individual recovery times and the risk of fatigue. I also think he's aware of how well each player will do against different opposition or horses for courses if you like. It's a fine balance between being sure of single games whilst also seeing the season as a whole, especially when the brief was simply to keep us up. Although he denies it, I'm sure his own objectives have moved on from that, almost already achieved, target.
    Having said all of that, he is of course human and therefore prone to a mistake or two. When games are being won with a squad that a couple of months ago could hardly pass to each other, its difficult to see anything as a mistake.

6. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Nothing wrong with Ojo for Murphy Brizz - I concur with that, but Bacuna for Wilson whilst it was intended to stiffen up the midfield, it actually killed any creativity and encouraged Bournemouth to step up the pitch. Williams would have given them a different problem.

Like I said, I do like Bacuna but he gives me the impression at the moment that he's not happy coming on as a sub - that maybe just me though.

What does Watters have to do to get on the pitch? Harris had an outing last time against Preston but we were 3-0 and it was all over as a contest.

I like Mick keeping faith with a winning side to start the next game, but surley there's scope to rest some and encourage others?

clingo likes this.
  7. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Mick has worked absolute wonders.<ok>

clingo likes this.
  8. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

It was the correct decision to leave Moore on.

3 points in the balance 20 to 25 minutes without him last night and who knows what the result may have been.

I agree with the comments on Bacuna but id still prefer him to Johnny Williams.

Hopefully Ralls and Tomlim back soon.

The big problem is weve no real replacement for Kiefer though it seems Harris is Micks preferred back up.

clingo likes this.
  9. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Moore should have been rested. He'd been imense up until the last 20 but was out on his feet at the end.

We've got a tough game against Boro on Saturday and as you say, we have no natural replacement.

Tomlin looked hugely overweight for the under 23's this week - in fact he was fat.

.......and Barnsley are ****.........<laugh>

robbiethemole likes this.
  10. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

I agree - he had to keep Moore on. He kept on eating time up with his holding onto the ball, drawing fouls etc. Nobody else could have done that. It meant less possession for Bournemouth. A hard call but the right one by our manager.

clingo and Hilts24 like this.

11. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Rubbish - Hilts can't be right!........<laugh>

Hilts24 likes this.
  12. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

The last 20 was like playing tennis against a wall.

Apart from the times Moore was able to hold it up, the ball just kept coming back and the guy on their left, Danjuma or something like that, tried to take full advantage.

I don't have a problem with Ojo for Murphy but taking Wilson off removed our ability to hold and use the ball in the forward midfield area.

I don't think Bacuna was disinterested but Bournemouth are a much more skilful side than Preston and were able to by pass Bacuna's physical effort so he became a bit of a headless chicken.

Williams might have been a more constructive sub.

I don't like the guy but I'm glad Jack Wheelchair didn't get on. He could have found gaps in our midfield that the lacksadaisical Billing didn't.

I find it a bit concerning that it became backs to the wall at the end. A side with better strikers like Norwich, Brentford, Reading or even QPR could have made it a difficult night for us.

I guess Boro will be more direct on Saturday. That shouldn't be a problem but NML will be keen to show how good he is. Our full backs may need a bit more support.

Oldsparkey likes this.
  13. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Exactly - and Moore should have had a rest. Someone else could have taken the ball to the corner flag.

14. Masky

Masky Well-Known Member

<wah>

BFB could do that job well, was in the corner a lot in school according to a source who shall remain nameless! Used to wear a funny hat, cheers BT pal! :emoticon-0103-cool: Cap for sale with a D on it! £15