1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bournemouth v Arsenal

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by remembercolinlee, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Brian Mcculloch Glasgow

Oh is that it? So, in the end it all comes down to one thing - money. :emoticon-0164-cash::emoticon-0164-cash:

2. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

Well I never....

3. BobbyD

BobbyD President

it's debateable. If he cared so much he would be actively looking for a manager who is better than himself. There is no shame in admitting that there are better managers than himself. By staying in his role so long he has actively and played the main part in seeing Arsenal on the brink of losing their elite club status.

I don't think i've seen Arsenal this bad in such a long time, you don't have the best youth players, your football has turned pretty possession base for possessions sake without any of the entertaining attacking threat, your best 2 players want to leave and all your rivals (poor and rich) have looked to overtaken you.

Also you have no squad depth either

Quilllogic likes this.
  4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Almost certain that Arsenal and Wenger are planning for his succession.

5. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Wenger has not acted in the best interest of the club, he has put his interest ahead of everything else, Wenger is basically scared ****lesss of life after Arsenal, he has been here for so long and at his age he probably can’t see what life has in store for him post Arsenal, then you have his incredible ego, as we get worse every season, Wenger gets a **** of load of stick and is written off as a manager who is rightly well past his best, this of course kills Wenger and he carries on in the vain of hope of proving his doubters wrong.

A few years ago Wenger said he would leave if he could no longer improve Arsenal, well we get worse every season now and guess what, he is still here. The man has no intentions of leaving, and with a owner who basically does not give a ****, I honestly don’t even know what it will take to get Wenger out of Arsenal, it’s an utterly hopeless situation.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Quilllogic, cini65 and BobbyD like this.
  6. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

****, the board are slow at this, we've now lost the opportunity of Paul Lambert joining us. Will we ever learn?

Diego likes this.
  7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

<laugh>

remembercolinlee likes this.
  8. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

And you slate Levy ?
    <whistle>

Seriously ... the biggest problem you have faced previously is similar to what we face. You are attempting to run your club within a budget...that means you can't spend millions on players that you then scrap for nothing.

Now though you have money and have spent big but got cocky or arrogant and allowed the key players to run down their contracts.
    Ozil would be worth £70m minimum and Sanchez £150m minimum but instead of £220m you'll be lucky to get £50m...and even then you'll be paying around £10m per players for them to leave out of it...this means you will sell your 2 best players for £30m...to put that in perspective...it is one Sissoko <laugh>

That's £190m pissed up the wall...not even you lot are rich enough to do that especially with the lose of CL money.

This suggests you board is incompetent and it is they that need ditching more than Wenger imo (though he is past his sell by date).

The elephant in the room is that the tv contract is due to be negotiated soon. The tv companies and internet streamers are said to be negotiating mutually beneficial deals which suggests that the cash cow could be slimming down. Being badly run AND out of the CL could be an insurmountable problem for you lot if it ain't sorted soon.

And no... I ain't wumming...this time <whistle>

Quilllogic likes this.
  9. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

As Didier Drogba once said, as he turned to Camera on live TV ... 'It's a ****ing disgrace !'

remembercolinlee likes this.
  10. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

No one likes Chelsea.Such a shame!

11. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

Arsenal’s Board didn’t react when Chelsea and then City arrived with all their money, and didn’t change the way we operated. We bought well and sold better but all within a constraint which didn’t matter as we competed against United for the title and there weren’t any other contenders.
    The board failed to realise that we had to buy better, pay better, and don’t sell to a rival - and we fell behind United and Chelsea and City - but still kept top 4.
    The board again failed to see that the financial game had changed, we tried to haggle and be smart over transfer prices - the players we ‘could of’ signed, and we have fallen further behind.
    Now we face the prospect of our 2 best players playing for United next season.

What a sad affair and the board are at fault as they have kept Wenger when he should have gone

12. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

It was also the safety first aspect for our whole business model. Their main aim was to make a constant profit and not take any risks. This was vindicated to a certain point when Wenger constantly achieved top 4's, while not really being a viable contender for the title. This then followed our abject showings in the CL. Then came the FA cup wins, if anything was going to paper over the obviously large cracks, it was these wins. It allowed them to mask the decline at our club on the pitch and on the management staff.

On to the next point, why it's bad when fans start idol worshiping, in the case of Arsene Wenger. They refused to acknowledge repeated mistakes he was making on the pitch, the dressing room and in the market. His stubbornness has led to our ultimate decline, for repeatedly refusing to take action when there was deficiencies in the team. The latest is Sanchez and Cazorla, why wasn't any action taken on this in the summer? Why was it allowed to affect our current season when you know they are both key players? This is classic Wenger stubbornness to react to something that is so obvious. Of course he is culpable of whats happened at our club, he has a lot of clout and is still a big enough name to walk into another big club, so i refuse to acknowledge that he didn't have a big enough say to make things happen.

Funny how things have turned out. We went through so much austerity at the club to make us big financially. Now that we've become one of those clubs, we can't hold onto our best players and play some of the worst football under Wenger. We previously sold our best player RVP to a competitor because "we didn't have the money", now that we have the money, we are still selling our best player to a direct competitor. But not just a direct competitor, a sworn enemy to Wenger! One thing I've got to give Maureen, he sticks to his guns and would never do what we are about to do. What is holding up the situation is Sanchez wanting a City move and us begging for a manure castoff. Sad.

13. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

I have looked back at the likes of Fergie and compared to Wenger. Yes, Wenger won titles, but only when he was only competing with 1 other team. Fergie did it in different eras. Built multiple teams to eventually win titles and CL trophies. Each time Fergie didn't win he was rebuilding. The money men came and he still was able to build a team and figure out how to win. I have always said Wenger was lucky to have the group of player like Vieras, Henrys, Adams, Gilbertos, Laurens, Coles, etc. Players that were driven. Has he built any team since them that resembled anything like that? He seems to not like to work with players with big personalities. The story of the Man City triumph stands out to me where it is said players went against him and did their thing.

Arsene doesn't seem to know how to deal with stiff competition.

14. lazarus20000

I agree. It's telling that when he had complete reins to bring in what he wanted in a system that he created, he failed to live up to his previous best or get close. He inherited a very solid team and added to it brilliantly, making it work in the process. After 2006 he's been doing the same things over and over again which includes all the mistakes too. There is no surprise that his current Arsenal team is not close to competing or in the top 4 any more when all the teams around him have improved. He hasn't got the ability or know-how to compete at the highest level.

I've said it before, the FA cup has been a blessing and a curse at the same time. It's masked his incompetencies at manager level and allowed him to stay way past a normal manager would have at the top level. This proves that he is a living institution at Arsenal and when things like that happen, it's always a bad thing.

blukyt likes this.
  15. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

I was at a private event a couple of years back where Clive Woodward was a speaker. He mentioned that Arsenal, in Wenger's early days, were the first PL team to invest in player tracking hardware and software.
    I've been wondering since if that was the source of his early edge and now everyone has got it he is struggling.

16. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

No.I believe a successful Arsenal team always had choppers in the side.That made a difference.They don't seem to have any today.

gooner4ever and winifred122 like this.
  17. lazarus20000

Other teams have caught up and adopted a number of things that Wenger introduced into the PL. But one of the big ones is his radical change of mimicking the Barca model of football on a shoe string budget. He abandoned everything that brought him success in his early days and almost blindly followed a puritanical version of football that he felt was correct. It simply did not work in the PL and most top managers found a tactical way of beating it.