1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Boro preview

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

So that's Chambers, Skuse or Chalobah, whoever plays left midfield, Nolan, and Jackson presumably replaced and benched. Can't argue with that, based on current performance. I like to think Nolan can adapt to the Championship and become a useful player, but he's not contributing to the attack. I'd argue we need a better left-back, as Knudsen looks like he's struggling with the new style of play and Kenlock's defensive issues appears to be keeping him out of the side. We may also need to keep an eye out on Donacien, who unfortunately hasn't impressed lately but maybe is not completely reassured about his role in the side.

2. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Haha a bit rich that Keane lover.

As for loans - 1997 has called, it wants it's time machine back.

Whether people like this or not, given our budget ( after Magilton / Keane and Jewell collectively opened up a drained and flushed £40 million or so down it ) loans represent a decent opportunity to add quality.

Take Townsend / Dos Santos / Fraser / Lawrence / Connolly- absolutely zero chance any of them would sign here on a permanent basis - so what are we supposed to do!? Just say ' not for us thanks, go make a rival better '

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_Premier_League_and_English_Football_League_managers

Look where Hurst is on this table - 79th. Loads of clubs have already pulled the trigger this summer. Managers don't get long so they have to use any tools they will to get them there.

Heck - Ac Milan have three loanees this season! Everton had Delafayu ( awful spelling right there )

As for this ' team ' - based on what I saw v Boro, we need an absolute bucket load in. Nolan wouldn't look out of place on a Sunday pub league pitch. He's supposed to make us tick. Well, he certainly made us bloody micky mouse to play against.

We have a shambolic manager and a laughable team right now. We're absolutely miles off coming top half, let alone knocking on the door of play offs.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  3. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

So to clarify the situation, we have a much better squad than last season and that's the reason we haven't won a solitary game and are bottom of the table?

Westlake33 likes this.
  4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

We could improve in every position but I think you improve the stable positions last and Knudsen is pretty solid for the most part. I have faith in Donacien and Nsiala.

5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Dos Santos and Lawrence contributed the most but we have had dozens more loanees who were not any better than our own players. We have more of those now than ever. I think we could have signed a player like Dos Santos back then, but now there has been so much decay of course not.

6. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

That appears to be the case, yes.

Load of absolute guff

7. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

So I watched the replay last night.
    What did I see -

Gerken - poor distribution, a couple of decent saves but I'd still prefer Bart back
    Donacien - the most modern full back we have, gets forward and put in a couple of decent crosses. If we're going to play with 2 CDM's then it doesn't bother me so much if the full backs are slightly more attack minded and get up the pitch as one of the CDM should be able to cover. As the CB is drawn out to the full back position, the CDM drops into the middle when the need arises.
    Toto - got forward a couple of times, out-muscled a couple of people and got possession back. He'll get better with games.
    Chambers - nightmare match for him. Needs to be dropped
    Knudsen - another poor performance from him
    Skuse - broke play up a couple of times but just doesn't do enough
    Chalobah - thought he did ok actually. Put a couple of delicious balls in, just a shame nobody could get on the end of them. Gets his head up and tries raking balls forward, looks to play forward before backward, unlike Skuse.
    Nolan - not great from him but at the same time it's not like he had an abundance of choices ahead of him to make passes to
    Ward - nothing from him....again
    Graham - Attempts things that Ward doesn't. Although they don't always come off at least he has better vision
    Jackson - needs help up top to bring the best out of him. There is something there to work with.

Edwards - bit of a one trick pony but gets double teamed and still manages to get balls in or win a corner
    Sears - played up front with Jackson I think they would both benefit
    Dozzell - played the two best passes I've seen all season and should be in the starting eleven. I'd rather be 2 goals up and take him off at half time than be 2 down and bring him on to save us.

8. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

One thing I did notice from watching the game is how static we are.

At throw ins we are particularly bad. There is no movement to get free and I saw moments where the ball would go out and then players would just turn their back and start to return to their position, even when being one of the closest to the play. One throw in the second half really did piss me off. Knudsen had the ball and was looking for somebody open and couldn't find anyone. The crowd were willing the ball back in play but there was no movement to get free. All of the players had a man between them and Jonas and he just had no choices The one player who was available was the one furthest away. Needless to say possession was lost quickly.

It's just not good enough, I saw a lot of ambling around the pitch and at times a lack of willingness to bust a gut to catch somebody up. Dozzell can unlock doors with brilliant passes but it will do no good if the movement isn't there. I'd like to see a system used that would allow Sears and Jackson to play up front with Dozzell in behind. Sorry Nolan, bench time for you At least let's try Jackson and Dozzell together, I have a feeling those two could get on the same wavelength pretty quickly. Jackson makes the runs but nobody so far has had the ability to slide the ball in to him.

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Hi SD I saw a lot of over-eagerness. We are working hard but not smart. Chaobah stopped at crucial times but I’m sure that was pure confusion, rather than laziness. I think the players were best described as headless chickens in that match, but they have shown discipline in others so I’m certain it was down to panic.

Let’s hope for a big improvement today.