1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bonne chance; to sign or not to sign…

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Buckyohare, Oct 2, 2021.

1. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

At the moment his goals are keeping us from relegation, I'd call that a great benefit for the club. His passion for his home team is also having a big effect on the dressing room and the commitment of other players. Sorry, I must be stupid to not see the negatives here.

Buckyohare and Bigalreigned like this.
  2. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

2 very poor examples of players who used the "I'm going to leave" card to get what they wanted.

You know as well as I do that most of the time when a player makes it clear he wants out then the club will sell as there isn't much point in keeping someone who doesn't want to be there.

3. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Absolute complete and utter nonsense. Even lowly Ipswich refuse transfer requests because we don’t get the fee we’re looking for.

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Thank you to all those loan players over the last decade or so for taking us to the heady heights! I absolutely loved Giovanni Dos Santos but we didn’t make any progress objectively from his loan.

That Bonne was single handedly saving us from League Two was an argument I didn’t see coming to be honest.

5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

It’s a fair point to question whether we would have done any better with almost entirely permanent players. The way the club was run it’s certainly not a given. I think the loans were a symptom of a catalogue of failures, not the cause. Lack of transfer funds being made available or investment in the academy and settling for Cat 2 status that means the quality of permanent players were not available. They are all components of the same overall problem.

I would liken my view on Bonne to scratch cards. You might win a few hundred quid every now and again but that’s no good if you spent thousands to find the occasional winning card.

It’s entirely possible that Paul Cook and the new owners will be much more successful at unearthing gems. I’m open to that and I’d love that to be the case. But I want them to be unearthing gems that are going to be around season after season to grow with the team and mount a charge through the divisions or at least to be able to sell on and help fund further progress.