1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bolton, Bury and Macclesfield to do one...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Mr Hatem

Mr Hatem Well-Known Member

Bolton are the old Norwich*

*Castro is a fanboy of both

2. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

The capacity of the KC is 25,404, isn’t it? Which isn’t the point though. We didn’t fill the ground every week when we were in the PL so it is irrelevant. The point is Bolton got larger crowds despite being far smaller than Hull. The discussion started off with someone saying they felt sorry for places like Bolton being surrounded by larger clubs. Makes you wonder why Bolton ended up with a larger stadium than the KC given Hull’s larger population. Same can be said about Middlesbrough. As you said in an earlier post you went to the Reebok when we were getting larger crowds than them and they had tho
    They also averaged over 2,000 more than us whilst getting relegated last season whilst we had a fairly decent one.

3. Barchullona

A fanboy of neither just a realist who doesn’t belittle other clubs (unless they are from Leeds or Sheffield).

Only ever keep an eye on 2 other clubs apart from City for daft reason going back to primary school days. Mentioned why once.

4. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

The capacity of the KC is 25,404 when every seat has a bum on it. However we never saw that in the PL because of segregation. You were one of the loudest opponents of the number of seats left empty to create a barrier between the two sets of fans where as at other grounds, ie Arsenal one line of stewards suffices.
    The only time the KC could sell out to maximum was if no away fans were present.
    Quite often it was the away end that didn't sell out. I heard Geraghty use the same figures as yourself about our time in the PL and they are simply not true.
    If the KC had a 30,000 capacity during our PL days our average attendance would have been bigger. But it wasn't so the argument is flawed and meaningless.

5. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

Listening to TS today, there was extensive discussion re Bury and their deadline of midnight tomorrow. That spoke to an incumbent at the EFL and they said they have done everything they could to ensure Bury were not eliminated from the league, but 'a deadline is a deadline'. Danny Murphy said the EFL and PFA have done nowhere near enough to support the players and that the disparity between the richer and the rest is just too vast. Manchester United/ City could have bought this club with petty cash and said pay us back when you can.

6. Tickton Tiger.

In the old days when City and Utd were owned by local businessmen that might have been the case but I doubt if the present owners of both the Manc clubs even know where Bury is.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  7. highpeak tiger

highpeak tiger Well-Known Member

Daily Mail reckon Bury owner Steve Dale is holding out for a £2 million payout for his "time and resources", before selling, having bought the club for £1.
    Not looking good!

8. Tickton Tiger.

Be careful what you wish for springs to mind. Remember the excitement when we finally got rid of Lloyd, and the excitement when he arrived! But look what happened there. The Sheffield Mafia aided by Uncle Tom muscled in onto the club and didn't even part with £1 for it. Then lived the life of Riley on the club credit card, ran up huge debts then handed the keys back. As I said, be careful what you wish for.

9. Barchullona

As we were below 24,000 average for 2 seasons, and down to 20,000 for one a 30,000 stadium would have not made much difference apart from rubberneckers wanting to see Stevie G and Rooney. The away allocation sold out for a lot of the games.

10. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

In the short term, I'll happy accept absolutely anyone, on the basis that there's little chance of them being as obnoxious and divisive as the current incumbents and at least in the short term it would halt the death of the club.

askewshair, PLT, Cambstiger and 4 others like this.

11. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Good luck to the Bolton team getting their GCSE results today. <ok>

12. Tickton Tiger.

We said that when the Fish & D*lan era ended and again when the Lloyd reign did, we had to sink to the very bottom of the ladder and it so very nearly led to the death of the club. Bolton and Bury today could be us tomorrow. That is my worry.

13. Barchullona

Not everyone is too aware of those days though.

I bet some of the Silver Cod lot who used to fawn all over Wilby when he breezed in will be embarrassed at the memory. Or they should be.

14. Tickton Tiger.

It wasn't just the Silver Cod Squad who were taken in by Wilby. We all so desperately wanted change after the depressing D*lan @ Fish era that we totally over looked the fact that the next regime could actually be worse. Remember the packed City Hall rallying call when Wilby announced Lloyd would be renaming us Hull City Tiger Sharks and that we would be playing at the Boulevard ? We even swallowed that without as much as a boycott or a red card protest.

15. Barchullona

It was more their thoughts on people of Wilby’s persuasion were quickly overlooked as they basked in his presence.

I wasn’t at that meeting, but did he really say that? I know he mooted the idea of playing at the Boulevard but the world famous Boulevard Of Dreams wouldn’t have met the requirements for Conference Football.

16. x

x Well-Known Member

this is correct, but irrelevant to the discussion of averages. our capacity, if you recall, was limited by masses of seats that went unused at the behest of inspector syndrome, or one of his fellow panic merchants. our average in the prem was nearer to capacity than bolton's was. on top of that, we could never have had a gate or average over 26,000.

one game is meaningless in the context of averages.

i didn't mention liverpool or anfield.

bolton have more of a football "tradition" than we do. they've been in the league since it was created, they've spent more time in the top division than we have, they've won (and lost) the fa cup several times.

i don't deny any of that.

incorrect. bolton averaged 23,359 in their last 8 seasons. 23,528 is more than 23,359. the difference is 169, fractions aside, which is, as i said, marginal.

if you take out their four top 8 finishes. their average for the other 7 seasons drops to 23,132.

here are their average attendances by season. all seasons in which 38 games were played.

2012 23670
    2011 22870
    2010 21881
    2009 22486
    2008 20901
    2007 23606
    2006 25455
    2005 26006 average for 2004/5-2011/2 = 186875/8 = 23359.38
    2004 26795
    2003 25017
    2002 25097

4 of our 5 seasons (never mind 4 out of 8) beat it as well. it's the nature of averages that some are higher and some are not. 3 of our 5 seasons were relegations, and our average for one of those (24,390) was more than bolton's (23,670) in their relegation season. none of bolton's last 6 season averages were higher than our best 4. only one of our season averages was below our overall average. 4 of their 11 were below our overall average, while only one of our 5 was below their overal average.

data sources
    http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/hulc.htm
    http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/bolw.htm

Tickton Tiger. likes this.
  17. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

I don’t like Bolton.
    I know it’s bad and it’s a club going under but well I just don’t like em.
    So I find it hard to sympathise.
    Everyone knew they were paying more in wages than income for years.

18. Tickton Tiger.

He did say that on stage in front of a packed City Hall. The singing and chanting of the standing room only crowd drowned much of it out but he definitely said it.
    Money was diverted from Hull City to redevelop the Boulevard. City money paid for the resurfacing of the main car park and entrance to the Boulevard for starters. The information was leaked by a former City employee who was working there but for City at the time. When Lloyd first came to Hull he thought the Boulevard was City's ground and couldn't believe what a **** tip he had bought. His first visit to Boothferry Park was the opening league game v Notts County ? We lost 3-0. But I know a special effort was put in by the ground staff at BP to prepare the pitch and the ground for the new messiah's first visit. Lloyd changed his mind that day about moving City across to play at the boulevard because he was so impressed with the playing surface.
    The whole plan about ground sharing with fc was a dogs dinner of an idea because there was no way the boulevard would conform with FL requirements without a massive influx of cash. From memory I believe much of the money City received from their FL Cup tie away at Newcastle was diverted fc's way according to our 'mole' on the inside. Lloyd must have been as green as the Boothferry Park turf if he thought football could be played at the boulevard but someone ( Wilby) certainly sold him the idea which he swallowed hook line and sinker without doing his homework.
    He also didn't do his homework on the long lease the Kwiksave supermarket on the BP car park held.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  19. Barchullona

They averaged more in their first five seasons in the PL than we did. As we had people saying the novelty had worn off after 4 seasons then they did well getting over 23,000 after 11 seasons when they got relegated compared to our 20,000 when we were relegated after 5.
    4 of their 11 were below our average. Or, in other words, 7 of their 11 were over ours. You can have fun with figures, can’t you? <laugh>

Bolton do indeed have more of a tradition. Same as Burnley, Preston and Blackburn. Not to mention Bury. All had teams for years before Hull, which had 2 rugby teams and no football club for ages.

20. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

I couldn’t help but laugh, I opened this thread to yet another discussion on attendances...

Who’d have thought? <doh>

Kempton likes this.