1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Blatter to be bloodied?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by overseasTOON, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. overseasTOON

overseasTOON Active Member

I was reading The Times yesterday and there was an article about FIFA and UEFA possibly facing a huge legal, political and moral conundrum. Here is the general gist of the situation:

Since Sion FC were thrown out the Europa Cup by UEFA for fielding ineligible players they have since had the players declared legal by two Swiss courts.

FIFA and UEFA technically don’t have to answer to any court of law as they are the protectors of the beautiful game globally and in the case of UEFA; in Europe. Membership to these organisations is voluntary and as such that means that member states have to follow the rules and guidelines set down by them. Any infringement can lead to exclusion from these organisations and that means no Champions League/Europa matches, no European Championship matches and also World Cup exclusion.

Because of this, very few ever break the barriers and challenge these organs because the penalties that could be implemented are very harsh.

Sion has agreed to go to the FIFA setup court of sports arbitration to get their judgement but there is an interesting paradox here.

Should the FIFA set up ‘court’ decide that Sions punishment still stands and UEFA and FIFA stand by the arbitration decision, this contradicts the legal verdict of the Swiss courts.

Where are FIFA and UEFA HQs?

In Switzerland.

How can you have organisations that are above and beyond the judicial rules of their host country?

With the Swiss Populist Party on the rise, whose political agenda is for the protection of Swiss rights for its own citizens and businesses, what are the chances that FIFA, UEFA and other protectorates of global sports may face the wrath of a the Swiss nationalist movement?

The arbitration hearing is set for the 24th November and I’ll be keeping an eye out for the results.

Blatter to be bloodied? I hope so.

Should the national FA's have more power?

2. The Wilde one

The Wilde one Member

In my day you'd bring a ball ont pitch and be dun with. Now it's all this law n order business.

Seriously though, this is a very intriguing topic. Looking forward to seeing how they squirm out of this one, cos', you know, they will get away with it.

3. Donkey Toon

Donkey Toon Active Member

I'd love to see Blatter get a judicial slap in the face. Runs football like it is his own personal fiefdom and has no concept of democracy or the wishes of the masses who support the game the world over. His decisions also seem to me to be very arbitrary.

Should the National FA's have more power though? That is more difficult to answer. I can understand why there needs to be a supreme judicator so that football is equal everywhere. Otherwise you could end up with different judgements in different countries with the farce that players or clubs get penalised in some, yet don't in others despite commiting the same offence. However, I think National FA's should have greater powers of appeal.

Interesting test case for sure! <ok>

4. Jesus Was A Geordie

Jesus Was A Geordie Well-Known Member

FIFA's flaunting of laws which dictate the actions of millions of their punters and other businesses has gone beyond a joke. They are literally so corrupt its laughable and its about time something was done, the fact that they got themselves into this mess makes it so much better!

5. Colly NUFC

Colly NUFC Active Member

Should the national FA's have more power? Absolutely not. Its in the best interests of the Swiss in general (co-efficients etc) for Sion to get back in, and conflicts of interest are unavoidable. Coincidence in this case that its a Swiss club, but FIFA and UEFA must stick to their own rulings which found Sion guilty of fielding ineligible players.

6. Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction

Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction Well-Known Member

Occupy FIFA headquarters? <whistle>

7. Geordyridley

Geordyridley New Member

<laugh><laugh>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.