1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Blades v City - FA Cup Fifth Round

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by MassiveAttack, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

For me two sides who are struggling in their respective leagues.Both struggling to score goals.Sheff Utd played the better football.Mawson out for one game-Williams hamstring issues.DH looked a dejected and defeated man at the end the cameras focused in on him.Watford next it don’t get any easier.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  2. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Mawson out for one game, Williams was taken off as a precaution, according to his post match comments.

3. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Surely not another hamstring injury?

4. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

IMO, when Deano brought on Massengo, Palmer & Sem, we looked a bit more like it........Before that, it was utterly boring.....As for Fammy, my dog could hold the ball up better than him........Why is Deano starting him? I don't get it..

5. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

We almost gave them a game.....almost...….

Wells does need shooting, lecturing, dropping or all 3 for not passing to Patterson when he was unmarked. Utterly selfish

6. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

For me the money spent on him was a waste-does not seem interested.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  7. Reliant Robin TC2

Reliant Robin TC2 Well-Known Member

Had he passed, and Paterson had scored, Wells would have been feted for his vision. It just seems weird that he went for the glory when his confidence is obviously so low.

8. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Criminal but he's not alone in being greedy.

Reliant Robin TC2 likes this.
  9. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Looking at Wells I feel like he's a player who really needs chances to get the goals, rather than being one of those who can conjure something out of nothing. Every time he shoots it's just a snatch or a swipe, often quite greedily, rather than taking his time and assessing his options. Maybe it's a game that's worked for him before but with our lack of creativity it's just not working.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  10. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

The final sentence is spot on, 12 months since we signed him, we still do not have a midfield capable of supplying him with chances, if he was missing chances I could understand the criticism but when you look at his goals so far this season 2 were supplied to him by Martin and both had a degree of difficulty in the finish and both in the 6 yard box.

I cannot remember the last nailed on chance that was set up for him and that is criminal, even his goal at Brentford the final pass came from a Brentford player.

11. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

I watched the game devoid of emotion.
    The past 5 years of unprecedented wheeling and dealing, ridiculous and stupid claptrap from Johnson, Ashton and now continuing with Holden is just about finishing me.

12. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

To be honest I agree totally with your post, the football has been devoid of emotion for about 3 years.

The worst thing about last night was in his post match interview, Holden actually believes that we played well and that we are back. The man is out of his depth, we are shocking, you cannot win games if you do not create chances and we do not create chances.

Supcon72 and Angelicnumber16 like this.
  13. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

It was drab, lifeless and without any flare, there is no improvement, just the same old style resulting in continuing defeat and after match rhetoric, we were promised the winds of change, we have got a damp fart.

14. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Dean even said he hates VAR because it robbed us of a goal. The system was correct on all fronts but DH is saying we could have cheated to get a possible win and that is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. I feel for the guy but he must have known he was being led down the path to nowhere and there is no point in firing him because we will only be waiting for about 3 months to drag up his successor. Tired and fed up doesn't come close to my thoughts. Will the next damp fart please send us your resume.

15. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I actually agree with him on this particular point, the main thrust of his argument is based in reality. He said quite rightly had the game been played at home with no VAR, no penalty would have been given, because as we saw the referee did not give it.

So the question is why are premier league given the added assistance of VAR? I think it sucks that if it's not there for all in the FA cup then it should not be used in any way shape or form in the cup competitions, it's another utter nonsense from the damp farts who run the game and yet another complaint about a system that is still not being properly utilised and fairly.

Supcon72 likes this.
  16. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Don't see quite why it's to their advantage. It was handball. A correct decision. I'm dreaming, but say VAR had gone to our advantage.
    Imagine, because that's all we poor sods can do is imagine that we managed to get in their box, a shot on target and one of theirs handball. We'd have said thank goodness for VAR.
    Holden is putting out a smokescreen. For me, not for you maybe, but I think his view on this is disingenuous.

17. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

If it's not available for every single FA cup tie then it should not be applied at all in the competition. Whether it is a correct decision or not is moot to me, how many teams have gone out in ties where VAR was not available?, so in essence it cannot be fair to only have available at premiership stadiums. It has made the competition a game of chance.

He is 100% correct when he says in a home tie, they would not have been awarded a penalty end of, because the referee never saw it.

I am not defending the performance it was dire, but I fully agree with him over this point.