1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Blackpool v Pompey

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Match Stats:

Home Team: Blackpool........Away Team: Portsmouth
    Possession
    Home 57%
    Away 43%
    Shots
    Home 9
    Away 13
    Shots on Target
    Home 1
    Away 5
    Corners
    Home 5
    Away 6
    Fouls
    Home 13
    Away 8

2. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Express FM saying how well Danny Rose played in central midfield. He deserves to keep his place alongside Ben Close, and have Stuart O'Keefe on the bench.

Looks like Brett Pitman has refound his goal scoring form, and his match fitness, after his injuries/operations.

Delighted to see Kal Naismith back in the side and playing well.

Hope that Kenny Jackett leaves the side unchanged for the visit of Sarfend next Saturday :emoticon-0148-yes:

EastneyPFC and 3rd eye like this.
  3. EastneyPFC

EastneyPFC Well-Known Member

Good work Woops. Really pleased with the result and that Closey (one of our own) got his first goal. Hopefully we can steadily build on this.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  4. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

It sounded like Ben Close had a good game playing alongside Danny Rose. Not only did he score, but he set up Brett Pitman's second goal that won the match.

In the last few games, he appears to be playing further up the pitch and is therefore getting into goal scoring positions.

5. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

6. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

please log in to view this image

The EFL have stood down referee Ben Toner from Blackpools game against Portsmouth because his name sounds like 'Bent Owner'.

7. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

The EFL care more about how referees' names sound rather than the actual ownership of clubs. **** the EFL.

8. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

9. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I had a quick look down your list of matchday threads and couldn't see one versus Peterborough yet so assume you haven't played them. If you haven't then watch out for one of theirs called Maddison. He has to be the most cheating player ever and that is saying something. Anyone see any highlights from the match they had versus MK Dons today? Maddison was the one who got hit by an imaginary sledge hammer and fell theatrically to the floor clutching his face. When they played us he also accused Bradley of spitting at him and was much the same all game throwing himself to the floor at every opportunity. How the FA haven't taken a look at this bloke is beyond me. Be warned he has a habit of getting players into trouble and going for penalties. Even the Peterborough supporters think he's a cheating feck so if the home fans do as well he must be.

3rd eye and Wooperts_duck like this.
  10. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

Great result and thanks for the commentary Woopert.
    Good to see Naismith selected for the last two games. I hope he gets a decent run now.
    It appears to me that, if Pompey are to maximise their attacking talent pool, they must select their centre forward and No 10 from Pitman ,Naismith, Bennet and Chaplin. It is a pity that none of these is a natural 'line leader' but each are in my opinion too good to leave out for Main or Hawkins. Centre forward is a position that Pitman and Naismith have both played in but both seem better suited to the No 10 position.
    Of the two I would prefer to see Pitman pushed further forward since I think Naismith may bring more energy and running to the No 10 position.. However,
    Pitman's goal scoring abilities are crucial and it would be a pity if they were curtailed by putting him in the more forward role. If they are both played there would be some potential for them to interchange during the course of a game.
    The talent pool for the wing positions appears to be Lowe, Kennedy, Bennet and Naismith. It is interesting that Bennet and Naismith are in both 'pools.'
    It is harsh that, barring injuries, there is little scope for Main and Hawkins in the above since both appear to be very honest tryers..
    Hawkins did reasonably well as a centre back against Gillingham and presumably also against Charlton and Blackpool. Until Whatmough returns he is a useful standby for that position.
    However, his selection as a centre back against Blackpool seemed strange to me since it broke up the Clarke Burgess combination. While I am sure Clarke is more than competent at left back moving him there to include Hawkins in my opinion sends the wrong message to our fringe full backs Donohue and Talbot - that were on the bench - and also Haunstrup.
    All three of these are reported to have had some reasonable games this season and must of sensed an opportunity when Thompson was suspended.
    Of course, in this instance, the result trumps all comment on the selection. Again the above is largely based on reading reports and I would be interested to hear how it gels with the opinions of those who attend matches

Wooperts_duck likes this.