1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Blackburn Rovers - Home

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by BrizzleBluebird, Oct 3, 2022.

1. BrizzleBluebird

BrizzleBluebird Well-Known Member

Blackburn Home Header.jpg
    CCS 4.jpg
    So, game #12 and the second time within a week we get visitors from Lancashire, this time in the shape of Blackburn Rovers. Following our weekend come-back against their near neighbours Burnley on Saturday Bluebirds fans will be looking for some more hot shots rather than hot pots on Tuesday evening.

Rovers come into this clash in what can only be described as intermittent form, with their last 6 games running as LWLWLW, so let's hope the Bluebirds can help them continue this fine sequence of results!

Despite this up and down form the Lancastrians sit in 6th spot in the table, but despite the apparent gulf in position, should 18th placed Cardiff come away with a victory we will be a mere 3 points behind our promotion chasing rivals come tomorrow night.

Jon Dahl Tomasson, Rovers manager has stated he has a fully fit squad to choose from, with just Clinton Mola being left behind for the game v the Bluebirds just to allow him to continue building fitness. This of course means danger-man Ben Brereton Diaz, who is again topping Rover's scoring charts with 5 goals and 1 assist (making him joint 5th in the scorers charts for the division) will be available to torment the Bluebird's backline once again, for only against Birmingham (4) does Brereton Diaz have more goals against an opponent in the League than Cardiff (3), with the forward netting a hat-trick against the Bluebirds in September 2021.

Last season saw Rovers run out 1 nil winners at the CCS despite being reduced to 10 men on 76 minutes.
    After that game the gaffer for that month Steve Morison was quoted as saying;
    "We weren't good enough in the final third. We dominated the game but couldn't put the ball in the net.

It is another game we should have got something out of, but that's where we are at the minute.

We went toe-to-toe with Blackburn, but they had that moment of quality which we didn't have.

The boys need help. We need to be better in the final third.
    Like I said to the players in there, 'Don't make me go and get someone for the final third from elsewhere'."

Since then of course the Bluebirds have looked elsewhere for a new manager!

As a result of last season's home reverse our visitors are now looking for consecutive away league wins against the City for the first time since a run of four between 1980 and 1985.

Overall, the City and Blackburn have faced off 74 times, with Rovers holding the edge in terms of wins, besting the Bluebirds with 28 wins, to our 24. This match has also finished as a draw on 22 occasions. Three of Rovers’ triumphs have come in recent seasons, with four draws also taking place since our last victory over the side from Ewood Park 8 games ago.

This came on August 17th, 2016, in a memorable meeting. Paul Trollope’s first competitive win as Bluebirds boss was at the expense of Rovers, with Shane Duffy enjoying a busy night. The defender netted twice on the evening, but both efforts went in his own goal. He topped off the game by being shown a second yellow card, with the home side going on to win 2-1.

Duffed up - Own Goal Hero.jpg
    Duffed Up... Shane Duffy relaxes with a nice lie down after knowing his work to help the Bluebirds to their fist win of the season was almost complete, with just the early shower to sort out remaining.

Despite Cardiff's recent poor record against our visitors, and the gulf in the table as it stands, with 13 goals scored but 14 conceded, hopes will be high that with a defence even more suspect than our own, the boys in blue should be capable of getting something out of our second home game in quick succession.

Early Team News
    Current hot seat incumbent Mark Hudson has indicted that Rubin Colwill will, sadly, once again be absent due to injury, following a slip in training. Isaak Davies is now out of his leg brace, but is still some way off a return, although Kion Etete may feature on the bench having been described as "not too far away".
    Ebou Adams appears unlikely to feature still too although Cedric Kipre's knock from Saturday isn't likely to keep him out of this game.
    Potentially we may see Watters start ahead of Harris, although with both racking up 0 shots on the weekend it's pretty much anyone's guess, however Robinson, after opening his account for the season will undoubtedly lead the line.

Prutton Predicts
    The Sky pundit incorrectly predicted a 1-0 defeat for the Bluebirds on the weekend, and has once again predicted the same scoreline for Tuesday night's televised game too.

The Sky Bet bookies are also keeping faith with the pundit's doom laden punt with odds as follows;
    Home Win 29/20 Draw 11/5 Away Win 2/1

Sharing The Love
    We actually have a few "stellar" names who have performed in front of both Bluebirds and Rovers fans with great names such as Barry Hole, Mike England and Warren Feeney appearing for both clubs.

Barry Hole v Barry Horns.jpg The late great Barry Hole. Not to be confused with the Barry Horns or the Hole that is Barry.

Striker Robbie Fowler, after a promising though injury hit start for the Bluebirds left South Wales to pursue another shot at glory in the Premier League with Rovers, managing to amass a huge 3 appearances for them :emoticon-0140-rofl: before going on to play down under for North Queensland Fury (no doubt fleeing the wrath of Bluebirds fans who wanted him to pay back his wages and signing on fee to the club after doing the dirty on them).

The one I am going to single out though is a player who for me, summed up what being a "real" player is about. Not necessarily with skill (although he was solid enough for the City) but with sheer willpower, determination and grit. Take a bow Gary Croft.
    I recall being in the canton stand watching Crofty suffer a dislocated shoulder during the second half of a match v Norwich. After moving to the sidelines, the full back appeared to just pop it back into place and subsequently started to lose his rag with the manager and bench after realising that they'd had the temerity to substitute him after such a "minor" injury, with (Frank) Spencer Pryor taking his place.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/croft-shoulders-city-burden-2445604

Definitely one of the funniest, yet heart warming examples of a true professional in my experience!

Blackburn Apps.jpg

Black Knight.jpg
    Gary Croft (right) remonstrates with Bluebirds manager Lennie Lawrence after suffering a minor scratch of a dislocated shoulder.

So, can the Bluebirds beat the Blue & Whites? Will the Rovers Return to Lancashire potless and pointless?? Will Rovers defender Travis have suffer travesty and do a Duff Double???

Blooooooobirds!!!!!

2. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

Class! I was pissing myself at the end. Detailed information with a smile!!!!

DaiJones, clingo and BrizzleBluebird like this.
  3. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Great stuff again BB.

I,as I'm sure will Clingo, love the Python reference.

Come back and fight, I'll bite your legs off!!!

DaiJones, clingo and BrizzleBluebird like this.
  4. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Brizzle! Another literary masterpiece sir. A real treat to read.

If I may I'll just offer a bit of background to the Black Knight. He first crept up in the radio show "I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again" c1964. Most of the Pythons were in the show along with those that went on to be the Goodies. Anyway, the same Black Knight character could not be used in Python as racial sensitivity forbade. I loved the radio show and it was my illicit Sunday night listening as a 12 year old.

Oh, sorry. Did everyone want to talk about football? Boring old farts

5. BrizzleBluebird

Loved the Goodies as a kid and had the joy of listening to their album thanks to my older brother.
    I then "retained" the album on moving out from home and lent it to a mate who subsequently went and lost it :emoticon-0120-doh:

He made it up to me a few years ago though by buying me the album again, but on CD.

You can't beat a bit of Python esq humour though... Classic.

DaiJones, BluefromBridgend and clingo like this.
  6. irishbluebird

irishbluebird Well-Known Member

Yet another masterpiece Brizzle and loving the ‘Sharing the Love’ segment. Hope you have copyright on all your material.

7. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

8. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Brizzo - we're running out of superlatives.............<doh>

9. BrizzleBluebird

Gee, you guys are making me blush :emoticon-0111-blush. It's mostly cut and paste really :emoticon-0105-wink:

Another tough game, against opponents who seem to have had our measure in recent seasons.

Some very dangerous players in their team. Brereton Diaz of course but they also have a couple of players doing well with assists in the divisional list too. Tyrhys Dolan 3 assists & 2 goals, and Ryan Hedges 3 assists & 1 goal.

However, Burnley had a similarly talented bunch so I think we can retain some hope of getting something.
    If we are able to keep it right at the rear we can hopefully find some penetration in front :emoticon-0142-happy

BluefromBridgend and clingo like this.
  10. BrizzleBluebird

Am also hoping my mere presence at the game tonight has an effect too.

I've only made it to 2 games so far... Norwich and Birmingham. Hoping I can continue my sequence of results witnessed :emoticon-0165-muscl

11. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Yes. All the losses and draws are your fault. Sort yourself out man.
    Anyway, I hope you enjoy the first goalfest of the season.
    Bloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooobirds

12. bluescull

bluescull Well-Known Member

Another wonderful performance Brizzle although I’m sure BARRIE Hole wouldn’t have been impressed! :emoticon-0103-cool:

clingo and BrizzleBluebird like this.
  13. BrizzleBluebird

It's a fair cop..... got a bit carried away there... :emoticon-0111-blush

Also forgot to say - no offence meant to BT either!! I actually lived in Barry for around 6 years so consider myself qualified enough to be able to slip in the odd mildly derogatory comment about the place... <whistle>

Barry Tiger and clingo like this.
  14. bluescull

bluescull Well-Known Member

You lived in Barrie?

clingo and BrizzleBluebird like this.
  15. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Who's going to do the first hole joke?

16. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

I'm sure we'll get a whole bunch of them.....all bad!!!

clingo likes this.
  17. BrizzleBluebird

There's a whole new world out there if we're delving into that kind of pit.... I'm happy to look into for you though Clingo if you so wish. <doh>

clingo likes this.
  18. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Fill in the blank: -

Ar$eh--le

clingo likes this.
  19. BrizzleBluebird

What have the managers said?

Mark Hudson: "We came in and debriefed the (Burnley) game. Blackburn is a totally different side, play a different way. They are pushing around the top five in the table, they have done well this season. It’s another test and a different test.

"We have a few bits to go through today and after training.

"They seem to give the ball up a little and counter. But that’s changed a bit over a period of time, the more confident and together they’ve been. It’s still early in the season. We know what we are going to face.

"But at home, in front of our fans, something to be excited about."

Jon Dahl Tomasson: "It’s an interesting game going away to Cardiff. They were normally a little direct, but they are trying to play a little bit more under their caretaker manager.

"It always starts with a philosophy and ambition at a club. You always have to have the vision and follow it. If you do that and get the right people in, you can make the right choices.

"We’ve played Stoke, who had no manager, now we have Cardiff, and Rotherham have the same thing, who we face at the weekend. You need people at the top who are cool, who can control their feelings, who can see the bigger pictures and can make the right choices."

clingo and BluefromBridgend like this.
  20. BrizzleBluebird

Wonder if we'll play Sawyers in the hole tonight?

DaiJones and clingo like this.