1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Birmingham preview

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Sep 23, 2018.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

That's better. Phew!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  3. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Well done!

4. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Not a great believer in past teams results but the inability to hold on to a lead has cost us dear for years.

Westlake33 likes this.
  5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

That will always happen with this team fieldmarshall because of quality. We can, and we need to, improve keeping possession and cutting out mistakes but you are talking about a very slick team and quality players who can do that as a unit for 45 minutes. Not to say we can’t hold on to leads in some games but to do it by controlling the game, we would be challenging for promotion at that point.

For now, I think the performance we put in yesterday is what we should be aiming for every week - if we can do that we will definitely win games and build a reputation for being hard to beat so teams really don’t fancy facing us.

6. fieldmarshall

I know that yorkie that's the point, I didn't go to Brum but the old problems are still there by all accounts, can't pass, give the ball away, can't defend under pressure, and a general lack of quality, that would appear to this 6 year old like a managing / coaching / poor quality players problem.

Westlake33 likes this.
  7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

That's not true at all. Certainly we defended very well under pressure or we would have conceded 4 or 5. We can pass, there were moments of quality, but we don't have the composure to control games and we have a few players below the level of others - sorry Dean Gerken, Luke Chambers, Cole Skuse, Grant Ward, Jonas Knudsen.

Watching the Wednesday v Leeds game Friday, Reach at Wednesday is a top player who I thought was man of the match against Town, I think Sheffield Wednesday will struggle to hold on to him, we don't have anyone of that level in our side yet. Those players will come through in time, but for them to come into the team and be successful we need to start with building the core and the right attitude.

What I saw from the players in terms of fight, dedication and hard work yesterday I did not see under Mick McCarthy and I would say we haven't had since the Joe Royle days.

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Not shown on the highlights, if you find it on video, let me know, I'd be interested to see.

9. fieldmarshall

Powder puff non challenge before their first goal and a pathetic Gherken punch led to their second, although it must be said we had chances to clear the ball, and 10 games into the league our position would appear to bear that out. I just don't understand how anyone could possibly paint a rosy picture from this continuing debacle of a start to the season.

Westlake33 likes this.
  10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I would just refer you again to George Burley's start. It's not about what results we pick up in the early games, it's how we challenge in two or three years' from now. To do that we need to lay some groundwork.

If we had won a few games, which easily could have happened, then it would only be papering over the cracks of areas we need to improve. As it is they are exposed, but they would be there regardless of the odd goal in a game.

11. fieldmarshall

Thank Christ for that I thought we may in trouble , that's alright then.

Westlake33 likes this.
  12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I'm surprised by this news fieldmarshall I thought you were optimistic!

Only kidding, whether we had won or lost I expected you to find a reason to whinge.

13. fieldmarshall

And you call me a 6 year old?you will never hear me whinge about a good Town performance.

14. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

That first goal is pub league. Shambles.

15. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

If you don't want to support the lads why not support Man City, Liverpool or Chelsea? They don't put in a good performance every week but every once in a while they will play a perfect game. Then again, Mo Salah was not really on his game yesterday was he? He wouldn't do for Town.

16. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

A Brum defender fell over before Nolan's goal and their defending for our second was hardly convincing.It's the standard of the Championship,if you're expecting world class defending best stick to Match of the Day!
    Face it a good proportion of goals at this level result from mistakes.

Scowey likes this.
  17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

A good proportion of goals in the Premier League come from mistakes. It's only really the big six who have players like Sturridge and Hazard who can regularly score goals out of nothing. Gary Neville a few weeks ago said Ferguson had a target for them for mistakes over a season - I can't remember if it was 4 or 6 goals in a season that was your target for making a mistake that directly led to a goal at a top club with world class defenders. I think that nicely puts this argument to bed.

18. fieldmarshall

I support our lads yorkie and have done for decades but I don't see point of glossing over or BS, it doesn't mean I'm not a supporter it means I tell as I see it. Where abouts in Suffolk do you live now ? And how many matches do you attend ?

19. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I live in Yorkshire and I mostly go to the northern and midlands away games and get back to Suffolk a few times a year. I also do my best to get to grounds I haven't visited before wherever they are in the country (but this season there aren't any).

I won't get along to all of these but this season West Brom, Leeds, Borough, Sheffield United, Wigan, Derby, Nottingham Forest, Sheffield Wednesday, Blackburn, Bolton, Villa, Birmingham, Stoke, Rotherham, Hull and Preston are all within a couple of hours' drive so it will be 10-15 over the season and watching about the same again on iFollow or Sky.

20. fieldmarshall

Thought so.