1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Birmingham City v Sunderland AFC – Saturday 17th February 2024 - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Feb 15, 2024.

?

Your Prediction:

Poll closed Feb 17, 2024.
  1. Home win

21.4%
  2. Away win

50.0%
  3. Draw

28.6%
  1. WorkyTicketFTM

WorkyTicketFTM Well-Known Member

Clubs around us are so if we want to be serious promotion contenders then we need to. Coventry replaced Gyokores and Hamer who are both better than any players in our team in similar positions and after taking a while to adjust they’re now flying.

Wayne the Punk likes this.
  2. Wayne the Punk

Wayne the Punk Well-Known Member

Why? go on explain, because Tony wanted his injury prone friend at the club? I would love to see where that pops up on the data

3. malagamackem

malagamackem Well-Known Member

Like most on here, Im really angered and frustrated about the last two performances. The club has done a whole lot well and will also make mistakes along the way. I am not in the knee-jerk Beale out camp at all. I do think his reaction to Hume yesterday was very very poor though. Young players and young people in any walk of life need encouragement and recognition of effort as well as results. Beale's reaction towards that need of basic recognition was stinking.

He certainly lost a supporter in me yesterday.

4. Wayne the Punk

Wayne the Punk Well-Known Member

Thats when it gets tricky, I see Southampton are wanting to spend £15 million on Clarke, well that gets his hairband. But when we get over £20million and try to improve the squad, and say spend £6million each on 2 players, it will smash our wage structure, and everyone else will want parity, I cant get how it works, at some stage the owner has to take a risk and spend some money

WorkyTicketFTM likes this.
  5. Jarca

Jarca Well-Known Member

Or we increase our income streams. By all accounts the old legacy deals end this season. I think this summer should show how ambitious KLD is.

6. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Because he had some quality. Pretty simple really.

7. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

I think we could be in a very good position when it comes transfers next season, FFP drops to 80% next season and I reckon a lot of teams will need to sell players ahead of the 70% change the season after. We have been tight with spending but I’m hoping that’s been deliberate.

There will certainly be reduced spending power from many clubs the championship next season.

8. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

This is why Hull and Ipswich are taking an absolutely massive gamble. One of them, if not both, will be proper in the **** next season.

I for one am glad we are being sensible.

9. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

That's the thing mate, I think enough of us have seen what can happen under Short and over spending then getting fed up.
    And the Donald trying to sell off assets to get us higher up with buying one big money flop striker.

We're getting run right now it seems.
    We might have to be patient but There is a noticeable improvement since KLD took over.

clockstander, Robertson, Daz and 5 others like this.
  10. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

If KLD was spending loads of money some supporters wouldn't care where it came from and whether or not it was debt. In fact I don't believe it's just us, even fans of clubs already with huge debts would be happy to keep spending. Everton fans thought they had an owner who'd spend them to glory and didn't care a jot about caution ...

... but, if they go down, they'll be bleating, to a man, about how unfair it all is and how they shouldn't suffer.

Balls to them, I'd rather be us ... at least our stadium's finished and paid for <laugh>

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
    clockstander and Daz like this.

11. Pure River Slut

Pure River Slut Well-Known Member

It was a poor choice though. A lot of wages on someone with a recent dreadful injury record. Blackburn fans I know described it exactly. Portly, injured and never fit enough for long enough to get into good shape. We can’t afford massive injury risk and high wages combined. That’s old Sunderland.

clockstander and Sour Patch like this.
  12. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

It was a little surprising, yes. They seem to have it in their locker to have a little gamble on older players with a bit of quality- like Defoe. It obviously didn't really work with either one of them, but I can see the thinking. It will be interesting to see if they try something similar again or if they feel their fingers have been burnt. Could be why M'Vila never happened.

clockstander and Pure River Slut like this.
  13. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

It was a bit of a gamble but if he'd had an injury free run he'd have been a good signing, he's a clever player with an eye for goal and loads of experience. Better player than Pritchard for me, if both players could somehow not be injured for long enough to compete.

As I say it was a small gamble but nothing like Southampton signing Stewart for a massive fee when we all knew he was a crock.

14. Dancingstripes

Dancingstripes Well-Known Member

Not naive at all. A player should always shake the managers hand when being substituted, it’s a mark of respect.

A manager should also shake the players hand. Unless the player has been sent off or said something to the manager or a team mate that is completely unacceptable.

clockstander likes this.
  15. Pure River Slut

Pure River Slut Well-Known Member

On his day Dack is a smart player but for a long time has been an unfit smart player. This succession of injuries isn’t a new, Sunderland issue. To pay him that money and then struggle to pay for a striker was bad business and a bad football decision. You can say gamble worth taking but it was a failed one whichever way you paint it.

16. Bob the Mackem

Bob the Mackem Well-Known Member

Speakman used that against TM as a waste of club money.
    I think TM regrets signing him.

Random lad likes this.