1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Birmingham City v Bristol City

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Dec 8, 2018.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I honestly think 7 points from 3 games is a good achievment, well done LJ, now my thoughts turn to the next 3 games, if we get 5 from 9 I think that would be a good end of year sequence.

2. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Everyone knows that I lean towards the pro-LJ camp (for now) and today was a great 3 points so well done everyone and this is NOT an anti-LJ post.
    I must admit that I AM concerned about the performances of late though. If I’m correct, the last decent PERFORMANCE was vs Stoke - which ironically we lost.. All games since, whether we won, drew or lost have been dire, scrappy affairs which could have gone either way.
    I looked at the Birmingham forum and their fans said it was one of the worst games they had seen - both teams were dire apparently. Of course the weather would have played it’s part though I suppose.
    My concern is that we can’t go on relying on getting results from these performances. It won’t happen. There is a lot of work still to do. I’m enjoying the moment but don’t believe we have cracked it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    BCFCRob likes this.
  3. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

The debrief: Birmingham City (A)
    Saturday, December 8th 2018

Lee Johnson assess City's 1-0 win over Birmingham City at St Andrew's.

Here's what he said after the game:

• Johnson described the game as “a blood and thunder Championship match” and ”dogfight” against a side who had not lost a home match this season.
    • He admitted “it wasn’t a fantastic, fluid performance...we can be better than we were today”.
    • However, he was proud of the “players for putting bodies on the line and heads in where it hurt”.
    • City securing seven points from the last three games (Ipswich Town, Millwall and Birmingham City) was “a good return” after halting a run of four defeats.
    • Johnson said he had asked Famara Diédhiou striker to “get across people in the box” because he is “very hard to stop in that near post area”.
    • He reflected on City’s strong bench which included Callum O’Dowda coming on and causing Birmingham City problems with his “athleticism” and Marley Watkins getting stronger with every appearance.
    • Several players, including Bailey Wright, Jay Dasilva and Hakeeb Adelakun, did not made the 18-man matchday squad and Johnson said this shows the squad is getting stronger.
    https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/the-debrief-birmingham-city-a/

4. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

The game was live down here in Australia, so I recorded it and watched it when I got up, it wasn't pretty!!!

A few observations, Pack tried too many 'glory balls' passing long and diagonally to the right wing, and every single time it went out for a trow in or goal kick, why he kept trying this I don't know? He wan't the only one, both CB tried it a few times as well.

Weimann - fu**ing useless
    Fammy - couldn't trap a bag of cement, but a good header for the goal.
    Kelly was good, Pisano was a bit erratic

It was a dire game to be honest, but we definitely played the better football, but neither side looked capable of scoring from open play.

5. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Weather conditions probably played their part to be fair, but we haven’t seen a ‘good’ performance since the Stoke game.

6. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Absolutely spot on and how I see it. Except I may be slightly less pro-LJ. But agree entirely.

Yeah also watched it myself, Pack had a mare, all of his passes went all over the shop to be fair until he got knocked out (weirdly). I'm guessing they kept trying it as LJ had identified it as a weak spot, which it was in fairness, but the passes were rubbish.

Think you're being a bit harsh on Weimann and Fammy. They had zero service, there was nothing Weimann could do really. If Fammy hadn't got his goal then the outlook on the game would be so different, and let's face it it was our only real chance of the match.