1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Billy Sharp

Discussion in 'Reading' started by SuffolkRoyal, Sep 26, 2013.

1. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

So the signing of Billy Sharp on loan is now confirmed.

For me its an okay signing so long as it doesn't mean we end up loaning Alfie out as a result of Sharps arrival.

2. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

When does Le fondre come to us then?

3. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Saints fan in peace. How is everyone feeling about the signing of Sharp? Wish you'd explored other options or chuffed? He's the kind of player you want in a promotion push, will get you goals especially in the scrappy matches you sometimes have to grind out.

4. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

At the beginning of the transfer window we were quietly confident that more would follow Drenthe, Williams and Bridge. Knowing that we needed to strengthen the attack we kept hearing rumours of the likes Hooper and Austin. There was even a vague rumour about Ricky Lambert. None of these rumours came to anything but, throughout this time, the name Billy Sharp had kept rising to the surface. Well we didn't actually sign him but we have now got him on loan so, although he's not a Hooper, Austin of Lambert, I think I can safely say we're all pretty happy about getting him. My big fear was that signing Sharp might mean we lose Le Fondre but Adkins has quashed that idea so I'm happy.

I hope Billy Sharp will be a success and, if so, we will sign him permanently in January. Especially now that Cortese has said that he won't go back to Southampton.

5. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Sorry mate, thats a non starter. Adkins has assurred the fans Alfie is going nowhere. Whether that remains the same in January we'll have to wait and see. But he's a fans favourite at Reading and we wouldn't be happy if we lost him.

6. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

We were linked to Austin a while back, apparently his attitude is poor though. I know very little of Hooper, my concern there is banging them in in the SPL is a different story to the top 2 English tiers. I think he will do well and you lot are likely to get promoted.

Another question- do you love Adkins yet?!

7. daib0

daib0 Well-Known Member

'like' but not yet 'love'!!

8. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

He's growing on me. Still struggle listening to all his psychobabble though.

9. Stellaman

Stellaman Member

Yet to start a game,out injred,dont know if he is back for Saturday

10. millersrkillers

Youv got some top strikers, would love.to see alfie come back to us Millers, just what we need, however cant see it, unless Ben Pringle goes to you in january and we could have Alfie onloan till end of the season. You never know in football. All the best x x

11. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Don't discount anything. Alfie has never had massive opportunites to prove himself at Reading. McDermott kept him sat on the bench most of the time and Adkins has done the same. Despite that he's been our top scorer for the last couple of seasons and is agan this season, and that is all credit to him considering the limited tme he gets on the pitch.

After yesterdays game he was interviewed and made it very clear that he is not happy with the way he is being used. I have no idea what problems McDermott and Adkins have with him. I feel that given the opportunities he could be a regular 20 goal a season striker in the championship, and thats from a Reading fan who wasn't turning somersaults when we signed him.

I think, at very least, he'll go out on loan witth view to an eventual permanent transfer. I, for one, will be so disappointed if that happens. It may all hinge on whether we retain the services of Bily Sharp, who is an Adkins favourite. Quite honestly, if we just replace Le Fondre with Sharp, its a backward move in my opinion. And that is only my opinion, you may see other Reading fans on here saying the exact opposite.

12. sa1nts

sa1nts Active Member

And while we're not on the subject, and Anton getting tired of his new toy and soon to be exiting the Mad Stad. Wouldn't it be a good idea for the waste of space known as Nick Hammond to go with him?

13. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

You won't get many arguments there mate.