1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Bill Nicholson Arms

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by ShelfSideSpur, Jan 27, 2011.

1. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

I want Haaland and Mbappe. So I want our income to be £100m a year more at least so we can afford them.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  2. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Really !!??

< proper LOL >

3. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I think your post is riddled with excuses tbh…

Who’s demanding win at all costs? Some fans are demanding a chairman with a brain when it comes to football matters…clubs below us make smarter signings…look at Newcastle…they haven’t spent loads but they have spent smart. The infrastructure is on Levy.

I think it’s a cheap dig as per when some fans blame others of wanting a mass murderer in charge…that’s just a ploy to shut people up by bringing their moral compass into the conversation. It’s boring and lazy to always say the alternatives to ENIC and their tax dodging owner are mass murderers.

we are not the new boys etc like we are in a queue and it will be our turn sometime soon. I don’t think football works like that. We qualified for the CL 13 years ago…this is ENICs 23rd year in charge…the cycle started back then and now we are and have been at the crossroads that requires an owner being brave….something the messiah(Poch) allured to. I won’t use Jose or Conte as examples because a large chunk of the fan base is biased and disregards their observations…so we shall stick with the messiah who talked of a new house and old furniture. Levy is spluttering and pooing his pants for the last 4 years because he lacks any kind of drive to do what is required to elevate us to our next natural step.

Of course he’s not going to be bloody miffed if success comes our way but it isn’t something that drives him…we get top 4 he’s happy…I don’t need to prove that to you…I’m sure you’ve been watching and listening to his spineless speeches over the course of time.

mediocrity on the pitch…clubs like Brighton, Brentford are rubbing shoulders with us…they don’t spend like they are owned by Arabs. Many of our fans laud Brighton and their achievements and also openly talk of their envy of the WAY in which these clubs are run.

4. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

who wants them? I don’t know of anyone who’s said this

so yes <really LOL>

5. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

You can carry on wanting

you’re not getting them

we’ve got Kane…just as good but Levy can’t build a proper team around him or maintain it

6. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

The Levystas remain deluded and blind as ever

KingHotspur likes this.
  7. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

1. I'd want them (if Spurs were guaranteed to
    not be bankrupted as a result) .

2. ff nobody wants them, then why even mention them ??

8. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone thinks that Levy has not made some mistakes but he is not solely to blame.

He financed deals that broke our transfer record to sign Sanchez a CB who is a poor defender, he then spent the money to break it again to sign Ndombele a midfielder who actually makes Sanchez look like a good signing! Last summer we broke it again to Sign Richarlison a striker that I will be generous to and say that jury is out but he has not pulled up any trees so far. Now I might be wrong but I don't think he chose those players, yes he employed the people who scouted and possibly recommended them, but certainly in the case of the last 2 they appear to have been wanted by the managers employed at that time.

We have spent a fortune on players that have failed to deliver, on the books currently as well as the 3 above add Lo Celso (who Poch thought was a better option than Bruno Fernandes) and Sessegnon, and in all honesty, Bissouma, Gil, Regullion and Spence could be included (though these could all have a few future with us under a new more progressive coach), until about a month ago most would have included Emerson as well. Some say the jury is also out on Romero and Kulusevski who has had a poor season in comparison to his impact in the first 6 months of his time here. But I think these last 2 have credit in the bank ands should be important players moving forwards.

Spurf and vimhawk like this.
  9. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

The reason clubs like Brighton, Brentford, even Newcastle are having success is, as you say, good decision making. Money does not guarantee success but it insulates you against bad decisions, to an extent, and therefore we see the correlation between money and league placement over time.

Of course this depends on your definition of success too.

When we made the big step under Poch we chose the right coach and gave him control over the players in the squad he thought he could play his football to the best possible standard. We also recruited smartly for a time. We need to demonstrate the same mentality consistently over time. I can accept that there were factors during the end of Poch’s time and immediately following (building the stadium, and Covid) that meant we were not perhaps in a position to take a hit on players who needed clearing out but now crowds and events are back at the stadium and our debt is financed for the long term in a sustainable way. There is no excuse to have players who coaches don’t want sitting around any more, if we’re quibbling over price (I can accept there are other reasons players don’t move on but that has been an important one in the past).

Manager recruitment has been off. If you want to bring in a Conte or Mourinho to finish the job then you need to do that when you’re cresting the wave, as difficult as that is for the incumbent, not when you’re in a trough. Very short term it can work as we saw last season but over a 1-2 year period it burns out if the club won’t match investment to ambition, which we are clearly unwilling or unable to do. That investment isn’t just in acquiring players but also getting rid of the ones that coaches don’t want.

All 3 of the things you need for on-pitch success have been going wrong - the board haven’t been doing their job well enough, Conte has made mistakes, the squad isn’t at the level it needs to be and players are making too many mistakes on the pitch. You just can’t get away with all those things going wrong at once. Levy has lost sight of what made Spurs successful under him. You pick a manager at the right stage of their career who is truly invested and engaged in making the club a success, and is willing to commit long term and build a squad in his image. You let them do that and enable them as much as you can financially.

I think Levy is paralysed by the fear of admitting mistakes in recruitment, whether it be players, coaches, DoF. Even the very wealthiest clubs with long track records of winning trophies have down cycles eventually. There is no way to guarantee a trophy every year especially in the English league system. But he’s moved away from the Poch model which is what is really going to make us a success. We should be in a better position now to invest if/when we peak and to shift the players who don’t work out.

Sorry for the long rant but tldr - there’s more to this than Levy though he is a major reason for our current situation, both bad and good, because the vision for what the club is, just doesn’t exist. Clearly he wasn’t moved by Conte to change so he should go back to looking for the next manager who can build a team in a similar manner to how Poch did, and hopefully we’re in a position to invest at the peak this time to push us over the line to silverware. But we need to be more ruthless and less scared of failure. There’s still a wealth gap but we can afford more missteps now without having them cripple the club.

10. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Newcastle's net spend this season is over £171m.

11. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

They may be excuses from your perspective but from my perspective I do not need to make excuses because I don't think there is anything to excuse. My view is that we have done more than I might have expected. Having followed Spurs for 60 years apart from the first flush of 'Super Spurs' when I was very young, mid table and maybe a cup was where Spurs were most of the time. Of course you always hope for a return to the days of Blanchflower, MacKay, Greaves and Gilzean but the PL is a very different beast to the old first division. Billions have been injected into the league from outside England and the sheer financial dominance of City and Chelsea completely distorts any chance of cup success that used to be available to Clubs like Villa, Everton and Spurs. We do well now to reach the semi-finals never mind to reach the final and win it. That's a reality not an excuse. Have you noticed how the stadium is putting us on a financial par with Liverpool and Arsenal. Levy did that. That's a very new situation no more than one or two seasons old, so it's early days for Spurs at this level.

Of course we can all see that we need defenders and a creative midfielder but what we can't see is why we didn't get them. You can blame Levy but there is no evidence he wont spend money. He buys players like Spence that Conti didn't want? We don't know that, it's just speculation, even if he did is that so bad in the light of what happened with Conti. We also have had for a while now a Director of Football, he will sit on the board and presumably will have a major say in transfers, if not why would Spurs employ him. Surely most people realise that you just can't pop out and buy the defenders you want when you want. There is no supermarket of players. Who is available is a combination of who else wants him and who wants to sell and then will the player agree. It's a very complex set of negotiations with sometimes whole groups of investors involved. In my view simplistic observations about Levy being tight or football stupid are just that, simplistic. Everyone is going to make mistakes in the football business is just not a science. It means you don't always get the players you want and you don't always get the football you want either. Spurs fans have spent some years now watching some dire football since Pochettino left and even the last year of his reign was pretty grim too, so it's no surprise that we are all moaning I share the frustration. The difference is whether you accept the difficulties of running a club like Spurs and you accept the 'nearly' position we are in or you don't. I do.

12. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

RIP Paul O'Grady a National Treasure, I saw him as lily Savage at one of his late night show in the Edinburgh fringe , I laughed until my ribs hurt

13. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

And not a single MAGA lout in sight...

14. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Think I've finally caught up on all the posts.

On Sunday I was taken to hospital after 3 hours of violently vomiting and being in extreme pain. The ambulance gave me gas and air and in the hospital I was put on a drip to rehydrate me, given anti sickness meds, and two lots of like liquid morphine.
    Hideous experience tbh.
    Am still off work and in pain. Have to take anti sickness pills, pain killers and stomach meds every day so am not my usual happy self <whistle> at the moment.

Didn't realise Conte went until late Monday night.

No faith we'll get the next appointment right.

But how Levy is allowed to choose the next manager is beyond me.

15. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

**** levy and co , just concentrate on getting yourself fit mate , best wishes on a speedy recovery

16. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Get well soon mate....I'm not sure whether thinking about Spurs and Levy will be a good distraction or a hindrance to that though....

17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Sounds **** and similar to something my Mum had a few years back.

Get better, Col <ok>

18. maggie blanchflower

maggie blanchflower Well-Known Member

Hope your soon well again Colin & enjoying (?) with your daughters watching the Spurs, down the Lane...take care x

Left on the Shelf likes this.
  19. maggie blanchflower

maggie blanchflower Well-Known Member

I wrote a message, posted it and its not there, why???
    Anyway, I said I wish you well Colin & hope you'll soon be able to, with your daughters
    go down the Lane & support our SPURS. Take care x

20. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Sorry to read this mate, hope you are now on the road to recovery that you are soon back on top form. Something that a seems a long away off for Spurs at the moment.

All the best 'Colin'

: #spursy