1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Bill Nicholson Arms

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by ShelfSideSpur, Jan 27, 2011.

1. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

WTF gives you the right to call us mugs?

As you don't go, what exactly qualifies you to make up stupid claims about us not caring if we win or not?

If I was to say "you come across as a self entitled plastic so maybe you wind you neck in and become a city fan" would you be OK with that?

I ain't the problem with the club, nor are the rest of us who are able to go.

I don't consider myself a better fan than those who don't or can't go but somehow you think you got the right to call us mugs?

<doh>

2. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

<applause>

3. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Ok lets calm down now please. We know we have many Spurs views on this board and it has been a success because everyone is tolerant and polite to others with differing views.
    Patience is at a premium right now because of the poor results on the pitch but lets not spoil the great debates we have on here.

Play nice:emoticon-0109-kiss:

remembercolinlee and PowerSpurs like this.
  4. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

I get your argument about the squad costing more then a manager so get a manager who can get the most out of the players. But IMO that works with a manager like Redknapp or Jol but once you start employing Mourinho and Conte that's a different model that many of us thought heralded a change in business plan for Spurs. This has not played out yet because you can't change the whole squad in one or even two seasons. I am waiting to see what happens.

Citizen Kane. likes this.
  5. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

We'll continue to burn our way through managers at a ridiculous rate...if we keep employing manager who don't suit our squad and finances. The last 3 managers have been poor appointments...and they were obviously poor appointments from Day 1.

I was against all 3 because we didn't and still don't have the right players for those coaches' talents and we won't spend the money needed to buy those players. Either Levy doesn't understand this or doesn't care enough to get it right. He seems more intent on justifying claims of us being a major footballing power. We're not...until we start to win honours.

Rather than point to the unemployed, high maintenance managers we're able to attract, I'd rather that we employed one who can work within the real remits of the role and improve us.

Citizen Kane. likes this.
  6. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

7. "Thanks for that Brian"

I'm not claiming any great insight...as far as I'm concerned, it was bleeding obvious every time...and I've never run a football club before.

8. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

That wasn't meant to be a dig at you Brian. I was being ironic on my own track record running a prediction league.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  9. "Thanks for that Brian"

I wouldn't mind, Spurf. Being right is generally overrated...and I dearly wish that I'd been wrong, as I am more regularly with players.

With managers/coaches, I have a pretty good record of sensing who will be a good or bad fit for us.

10. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

You get a lot of practice assessing managers when you're a Spurs fan. Contrast that with Chelsea whose managers are seldom in the job long enough to be assessed by anybody.

11. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Actually we get through managers at almost exactly the same rate as the PL in general, two years plus a few days being the average.
    As I've mentioned before this doesn't seem surprising. Coaching skills are rare in my experience and I struggle to think of ten managers in my 60 years of watching football who have clearly improved a team. So it's a perfectly sensible policy to keep trying to find one of those. You find out pretty quickly if you're completely wrong.
    The remits of the role are pretty simple imho...make whichever players we have play better. Mourinho announced to the world that he wanted the opportunity to work with our squad. Turned out he had no clue how to do it. Conte, I think, added a bit of value last season to get us to fourth. If he can do it again I will be persuaded that he is a decent coach.

12. "Thanks for that Brian"

It's speeding up...because ENIC and Levy are trying to afford a fur coat, without leaving enough money for any knickers. Until they appoint a suitable coach, we will get through them at the rate of nearer 1 per season.

13. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

14. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Something I just found out which really made me sad. Typically Tropical sold 381,456 copies of "Barbados" compared to the cover, "We're Going to Ibiza" by the Vengaboys which sold 1,862,451 (as of November 2019). Says everything you need to know about the decline in music taste.

15. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

If the estate of the original writers + band are still
    getting royalties off the song and its covers, don't be sad.

16. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

No, not for them, I think they did well financially. I think it's more of my disdain for public taste when an inferior remake sells more than an original. Anyway, should probably have put this in the music thread.

17. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

18. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

The televised fixtures for March have been announced and Sky/BT have worked out that our games are not entertaining - 3 premier league weekends in March and we have 3 x Saturday 1500 kick offs now when did that last happen

19. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with our opponents being Wolves, Nottingham Forest and Southampton?

20. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

: #spursy