1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Biggest Transfer Flop - 2014

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by beardface, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beardface

beardface Active Member

The Sun

Andy Carroll has today signed for Championship side Derby County for a reported £3m after a disgruntled 3 years at Liverpool. The former Newcastle United hitman never reached the dizzy heights expected of him by Kenny Dalgish, Liverpool manager at the time, and the Kop.

When he finally managed to make his debut for Liverpool in March 2011, after recovering from a thigh injury that would prove to stay with him throughout his Liverpool career, things looked bright. He scored twice as Liverpool comfortably beat Sunderland 3-0 and continued this form by scoring another 3 goals in his next 4 games - one coming against West Brom and another two against Birmingham. Things were looking good for him as he was heading for his reunion against his old club Newcastle United, however after a night out celebrating the teams victory against Birmingham which bought Liverpool into the top half of the table, he returned to training with a injury from his drunken night - falling down a flight of stairs he had yet again pulled a muscle in his thigh. Yet he was insistant on featuring in the next game against Newcastle. He started off brightly, hitting the woodwork twice in the opening 30 minutes as Liverpool pressed to continue their impressive recent form, clearly not too affected by the boo's and songs coming from the fans who used to worship him, But at the beginning of the 2nd half as Carroll tried to break free and give Liverpool the lead, Jose Enrique - Newcastle's legendary left back - committed to the perfect slide tackle. He managed to clearly win the ball and at the same time brought Andy Carroll to the floor as if he were a little girl (as his hair would have you think.)

Carroll was taken off on a stretcher and this proved to be the beginning of the end for Andy Carroll's Liverpool career. Despite losing their 'star striker' Liverpool continued to win games and finished the season in 8th, Andy Carroll promised the fans when he would return next season he would help them challenge for the Premiership title. However his injury persisted and he missed the first 3 games of the 2011/2012 season as David N'Gog shined. For the remainder of his Liverpool career he played a bit part role as 3rd choice striker as N'Gog and Suarez appeared to have an effective partnership. Playing just 10 times, mostly appearing as a sub, in the 2011/2012 season - Carroll became disillusioned with life on merseyside as he watched his old Newcastle teammates perform admirably with Nile Ranger spearheading the attack, wearing the #9 shirt he once wore, receiving the love from the fans he once claimed to have cherished. Due to lack of playing time Andy Carroll didn't make the England squad for Euro 2012.

Come the 2012/2013 season Andy Carroll continued to play a minor role at Liverpool, and in January, dissatisfied with his restricted footballing minutes, he went on loan to struggling side Wolves. He failed to find form there as he and the rest of the Wolverhampton Wanderers team finished 19th in the league - scoring a measley 6 goals from January to May.

Liverpool offered Andy Carroll for sale come the end of the season - asking for £10m, a £25m loss on what they paid for him just a couple of seasons ago. Andy Carroll pleaded to the media for Newcastle to bring him back, yet Pardew claimed he had no interest in signing a player whom Newcastle had moved on from.

The 2013/2014 season saw him go on loan to newly promoted side Derby as again he attempted to spearhead a team who would battle with relegation the whole season - again failing to find the form that made him one of the hottest properties in Europe. Andy scored 9 goals as Derby finished 18th in the league. This time however he didn't jump ship as he did at Wolves and return to a cushty life. Liverpool forced him out of the club (much as he claimed Newcastle did) accepting a £3m bid from Derby - where he is set to return to Championship football.

At just 25 things could still improve for Andy Carroll, but his time at Liverpool makes him one of the biggest transfer flops, with his name alongside the likes of Andriy Shevchenko and Alberto Aquilani.

Yeah, I'm pretty bored. Apologies if it doesn't read very well. <badger> <badger> <badger>

2. Spiderman-Mask

Spiderman-Mask Well-Known Member

3. originallad

originallad Member

Made me smile :grin:

4. UNITEDTOON

UNITEDTOON Member

to quote kevin keegan, 'I'd love it, just love it' if this happened.

he is a money grabbing scumbag with no loyalty and **** hair!!! Judas!!!

5. UlversToon

UlversToon Member

Pardew still manager at the end of the 2012/13 season - please tell me that bit's not true!

6. Wein14

Wein14 Active Member

Please tell me it is! Bit of stability goes a long way. I think he's proven to be tactically more astute than Chrissy (though i do think he shouldn't have got the sack).

7. Vuckic's Faces

Vuckic's Faces Active Member

8. beardface

beardface Active Member

I was going for stability. We've had enough managers lately. Plus, Pardew's not that bad. He's better than Big Sam & Souness!

9. Tiggyrimana

Tiggyrimana Active Member

i actually have time for Pardew
    seems a decent enough bloke (so far)
    and is doing a fairly good job

10. originallad

originallad Member

Also better then Gullit and Keegan the sequal.

11. sirtoongospel

sirtoongospel Member

Pity that article didn't say that Carroll was enviously watching a young and vibrant NUFC team snatch a Champions League place! If only prayers were answered eh?

12. I Bleed Black & White

i would jizz if this happened

13. beardface

beardface Active Member

I was tempted to include something along those lines, but decided against it <laugh>

14. rokkudan

rokkudan Member

you forgot to mention Sunderland getting relegated and the scandal involving Niall Quinn, a thoroughbred horse and a tube of smarties.

15. The Flowing Locks of Jonas

Thats Brilliant! Don't forget Nile Ranger beating Carroll into the England team partnering Rooney in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

16. Spiderman-Mask

Spiderman-Mask Well-Known Member

What about Hatem Ben Arfa winning the Ballon D'or, just pipping Shola Ameobi to the spot ;)

I went too far didnt I?

17. Tim Kruls Zulu Shield (:)

and you forgot the bit were he goes to jail for 4 weeks after knocking out lindsey lohan in a threesome with geoff horsefield

18. KingoStarr

KingoStarr Active Member

Yup, I had shola down to win it personally

19. 5 Goals 1 Hat Trick 11 Heroes-NUFC4LIFE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.