1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Big decisions need to be made

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Red Robin, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Bristol City have some big decisions to make.
    Do they just keep selling their assets and never progress.
    Or do they say we are going to keep our assets and add quality to the team and take it to the next level.
    As it stands the club have always been a selling club.
    With three or four quality signings added to this squad a real promotion push could happen.
    The hierarchy have some big decisions to make,bring in the additional quality which it turn will keep our better players,or continue selling and not progressing.League two and non league players arriving don’t give the better players the right vibes.
    Interesting times.

2. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Who can argue with the decisions of SL these last few years.
    It's an almost impossible position for him and BCFC with the competition we face.
    Happy, with everything crossed, to let them get on with how they see best.

3. Shinycitylad7

Shinycitylad7 Looking at the stars mate

Not much you can do when a bigger club comes calling. We can take whatever player we want from league 1 down. Pretty much any premier league team can do it from the championship down. I don’t mind us selling our players so long as the moneys right. Sell whilst their stock is high, one bad season and you’ll lose it, Aden flint being the perfect example, cost Boro 7 million, they won’t get a third of that for him now. Full confidence LJ and the team can identify players to replace them.

4. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I imagine SL wants us to go up as much as any City fan...but is shrewd enough, not to let the club financially get into the brown warm and smelly if it doesn't happen.. I'm quite happy with our situation as it stands, but of course getting to the Prem would be the icing..... but not at any cost...

Redprintt and ccfcremotesupport like this.
  5. robin_unreliant

robin_unreliant Active Member

As soon as you start refusing to sell players to a PL club you will start to struggle attracting ambitious new players.

Part of the deal is that we are their pathway to the big money. If we get there ourselves we will be able to keep them. Until then we have to allow them to go if we get offered good money and the player wants to go.

6. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

If Bristol City (Mr Lansdown) had not sold players the club would have exceeded permitted financial losses over three seasons. Mr Lansdown has also injected tens of millions into the club as equity, and loaned the FC circa twenty million pounds which has not been paid back (its in the clubs accounts).

7. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

I get it, but also understand the argument that if yearly we lose our best players and have to keep starting from scratch, we only need to get it wrong once to lose everything we’ve gained over the last few years.
    This year for instance, having sold Kelly, if we manage to persuade Kalas, JDS to join and can keep the rest of the squad and add a couple of quality additions we have a great chance of top 6 minimum, on the other hand if we sell Wester, and Brownhill, possibly to Premier League clubs , and also don’t manage to persuade Kalas and JDS to sign .
    The two scenarios are worlds apart imo, so whilst we don’t want to stop players progressing there has to be a balance surely.

8. Red Robin

Spot on

9. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

when you see a football club ..like Bolton .. having probs with the HMRC it is not just about income tax they have generated it is about non payment of income tax for that which they have stopped from staff ..most clubs lose money so do not pat tax on profit ...they don't have a profit … the other big chunk is Vat … City have not made a profit for years … and with the stadium … "share" have a good source of setting any small amounts off so they don't pay any or very little … sell players every year and the money will eliminate debt and along comes profit = tax and we don't want to be paying that! …. so then will be the time buy … or pay more wages …. more wages = "better" players …
    we could inconceivably rake in £40m this summer!!! … and …………………………...

10. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

It would seem to me that the more moolah you get for outgoing players the more you will spend on incoming players. The negotiations must be a nightmare for people like Lee who just want to see their team thrive and yet are somewhat held ransom by those that aren't happy with their lot at Ashton Gate and perhaps even more so by the arriving talent who have an inflated valuation of their worth to their new employers. I think it's about time I put my dreaming hat away and replaced it with a more sober variety.

11. robin_unreliant

robin_unreliant Active Member

Yes I agree that it is hard to get promotion when your better players get poached. Don't you think team spirit and togetherness will go down the drain if we force players to miss out on their chance of PL money though? I am sure part of the pitch from MA is that you'll get a chance to be noticed and we won't stand in your way. If you then go back on this that becomes very dangerous imo.

Look at Norwich. They sold Maddison for big money and still walked the league. It's not necessarily about holding on to players, more about building a squad that clicks, as Norwich did this year without spending much.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  12. AshtonRed

That was one player, we’ve already lost Kelly, that’s fine, my point was if half the team go, that’s a different scenario altogether.

13. Red Robin

Webster nothing less than 20 million this kid is class, yes we are selling club, but make sure we get the right price.
    Think we need to get use to this.

14. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

Get to used to what? I don't believe the selling of players is a new concept,

15. Red Robin

Every time a club wants a player of ours he is sold.When Bristol City going to build the team for a sustained promotion push.

16. Loathsneyd

So the same as every club in the Football league. You can't stand in a way of a player who wants to play at a higher level. You might keep the players you've got albeit very unhappy players and no one else would join with that philosophy

robin_unreliant likes this.
  17. AshtonRed

I’m not suggesting keeping them against their will, we could try to keep some for a season, with the promise we will let them go if we fail, who knows maybe that’s what we’ll do this season.
    Otherwise we will never get promoted because we will never be able to build anything. We needed to use those tactics to get ourselves into a position where decent players see us as an option , now we’ve achieved that we have to move on, try and keep our better players , add to them and attempt to get promoted ourselves.

Red Robin likes this.
  18. AshtonRed

Will quality players join if we are constantly selling our better players?, I’m not sure they will. If for instance we are looking to buy Assombalonga, do you think he’d be more inclined to sign if we have a settled top 8 side, or one that was about to sell their top players, its not just as straight forward as you make out.

19. Red Robin

Exactly selling your better players will not bring better players here.Better players will stay away.
    They want to see a progressive side not a selling side.

A happy balance is required,at present we are constantly selling our better players.

20. Loathsneyd

Chelsea are in trouble then. They've probably sold one of the best players in the world, nobody is going to want to join them!