1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bielsa V Marsch

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, May 8, 2022.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Think the genius of Bielsa made good footballers from journeyman players. His fitness and tactical set-up made a team without having individual stars. Every player was a component and chosen to suit a style of play.

The squad overachieved for 3 seasons, but was found wanting due to threadbare numbers and then found out when injuries decimated the side. Getting rid of Bielsa only highlighted the deficiencies and the lack of skill in many of the original Bielsa players. They cannot think on their feet, caught out when pressed and panic sets in, meaning some shocking play in defence from the keeper and everyone at the back. Players not good enough to cope under pressure at the back causing some horrendous mistakes at the back like yesterday.

Bielsa replaced by Marsch who has now found the skill levels of his squad isnt what he hoped. Yet again injuries are playing a part to the detriment of the club. Did Bielsa break the players or are they now found wanting as Bielsa has gone and cannot cover for them any more.

Whatever happens this season needs an inquest. My view is that the squad should have been enhanced in the summer and added to in January. This season was the first time we had no loan players and we should have taken advantage of the loan market. More players meant less stress on other players. Less players square pegging. Huge huge error. Players like Ayling, Klich, Cooper, Dallas all playing hundreds of games in 3.5yrs. Add to the damage to these players Bamford and Phillips out for almost a whole season, then illness, covid and i juries to Firpo, Koch and Llorente, banking on a 31yo who had spent 2 years out injured to be our new midfielder was a joke

2. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

I am currently sat in a bus station in corfu town. So have been reading back on peoples comments and it's all pointless. Nothing is going to change the past results. We have a chance of staying up but marsch needs to pick the players who will try at least. It looks like some don't care so drop them.

NostradEmus and Aski like this.
  3. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Does anyone think that perhaps Raphinha was trying to get himself sent off yesterday so he didn't have to play the last couple of games? Didn't Viduka do the same in 03/04?

4. esteponawhite

esteponawhite Well-Known Member

No, he was showing fight and passion.
    Put yer shovel away for today, you stirred enough ****.

5. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

No because he could have just made a yellow card challenge anytime he liked afterwards.

6. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Me??? <yikes>

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  7. ellandback

Forum Moderator

On the contrary...

I said during our first pre-season game that we looked off the pace, and I was seriously concerned about our anaerobic energy (short, fast, high-intensity). I also expressed my strong concern for more another midfielder AND another goal scoring forward as far back as last Summer. We were offered Nketiah on a plate, but turned it down.

I'm not sure how many times I have expressed my concerns about over training, but again.....

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  8. xbpod

xbpod Well-Known Member

From a Leeds Facebook group

Mad how when Bielsa lost 4-1 at home to Arsenal it was "those aren't the games that we expect to be picking up points from", but when Marsch has 10-man Leeds lose 2-1 away to that very same club, it's "he's not good enough, the sooner he off the better."

Seems about right.

BobbyD, Doc, Gessa and 3 others like this.
  9. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Well said. It's 'blind Northern faith'. They think by defending Bielsa they are somehow more devoted to the club.

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  10. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

I admire Bielsa as much as the next man, hold him in high regard and was sorry it ended so badly. Marsch came in, knew nowt about him really, but like all managers I'll give him my full support, especially until he is here long enough to have a fair crack of the whip but with some he wasn't given a chance from the start, every positive they tried to make a negative, strange really.

Eireleeds1, ellandback and xbpod like this.

11. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this. One thing that peed me off though was last season against Arsenal in the cup Bielsa put Drameh on and he had a blinder and had Martinelli in his pocket. Then earlier this season Drameh faced Arsenal again and wasnt so good and Martinelli got his own back. Fast forward to Sunday and Ayling took a battering by Martinelli and we know what happened. My point is plenty of Leeds fans said good riddance to Drameh, hes crap, which after Sunday has proved to be ridiculous

12. ellandback

Forum Moderator

He certainly got the most out of Bamford, Klich, Cooper, Ayling and Dallas. I also think that Alioski is one of those players that could just run all day, and we have really missed him this season.

bucks_is_leeds likes this.
  13. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Mantinelli also had the pace to get beyond Ayling. Even with Koch double teaming Marinelli, he still got the better of both of them for the second goal.

14. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Because they are both slow

ellandback likes this.