1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bertrand and England

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Lambertissier, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Lambertissier

Lambertissier Well-Known Member

Admittedly Bertrand hasn't been at his best for us, at the end of last season and the start of this one, but it still baffles me as to why he isn't in the England set-up? He was a regular for Southgate leading up to the world Cup and was in great form, but then he didn't get picked to go to Russia and now can't get in the squad, even when Shaw and Rose are out injured. I know Southgate is looking to the future and I applaud him for that but Bertrand is no dinosaur at 29 years old. Have they had some kind of fall out?

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I think Southgate is using younger players as much as possible, Unless there is a huge gap in ability. And why not? It is a good idea.

He should have gone to Russia instead of Rose though

3. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm regularly impressed by Chilwell. I'm not surprised he's been given a chance.

Ian Thumwood and holierthanthou like this.
  4. Lambertissier

Lambertissier Well-Known Member

Agreed, Rose was unfit and a waste in Russia - Bertie should have gone. I'm certainly not bitter and saying he should be in the squad now, but the rise and demise was so quick and unexplained. Normally it's reported on that it's due to lack of form/ fallout with the manager/ poor attitude, but he was in and out as quick as a fiddler's elbow with no media attention which just seems odd

5. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

In general, an 'older' player (I'm including Bertrand in that for now) would probably prefer only to be called up to England matches (excluding world cup etc.) if he is likely to play.

To be called up to be a sub to the third choice left back - probably rather have a fortnight off?

6. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I think that Bertrand has been a disappointment during the last season and a half. I can't see how he merited selection. I would have to say that I have felt he has under-performed for us for a long while. After Puel left, I thought he would have been snapped up. Just get the impression that he was one of the best players under Puel but he is a shadow of his former self. He is one play I feel would probably benefit from a move away from Saint to freshen things up from his perspective.