1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Berbatov

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by merrysupersteve, Sep 25, 2011.

1. merrysupersteve

merrysupersteve Active Member

I think people who read my posts regularly here will know that I am not a wum. So please, no silly accusations for what I am about to say.

I cannot stand Berbatov. This is hardly shocking news, again, to anyone who has had the good fortune of reading my posts here with any regularity ;)

However, the fact that other fans continue to sing his praises has now become a problem for me. I can't ignore it. I do not care about how many goals he scored against Blackburn last year. What I care about is how rubbish he is when we need him to perform, what I care about is how he seems to deliberately make runs into a position where he knows a defender will get there first. What I care about is Man United and for that reason I want this waste of space gone.

My granny shows more urgency than him. And she is dead!

What I want to know is why YOU like Berbatov as a player. Please avoid cliched responses like he has great vision. The guy couldn't pick out a killer pass if it bit him on the ass!

2. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes he was **** yesterday. It says a lot that all our long balls were directed at the 5ft Michael Owen.

3. stopthepress

stopthepress Member

I like Berbatov, but I think he's at the wrong club. Players without urgency tend not to thrive at United.

That said, I'm happy to keep him as an alternative option. He won't be anywhere near the starting line-up if everyone's fit.

4. Unbiased Opinion

Thing is i dont understand why you'd sell him? At most you'll get 15m for him.

He gives united something diffrent, something the other strikers dont have. He he's great technically and his hold up play is great, and while that might not suit the united way, every now and again united are going to have to change their style. Play a little less urgently, take their time unlocking a defence, and thats what he's good at.

Albeit he was terrible yesterday for you guys

5. Gazautd

Gazautd Active Member

Whenever he comes on,I'm always willing him to do well.Unfortunately he isn't listening. :angry:

6. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He was actually pretty unispiring against Leeds as well. If he hadn't of spent the last 10 mins in defense i wouldn't of known he was playing.

7. redconn

redconn Active Member

I think he'd be very well suited to Arsenal. He'd score for fun there. United's style is much more about pace and urgency and he has neither.

8. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Yesterday proved once and for all that Berbatov is way behind Hernandez in the pecking oreder. And I think he should be lower than Welbeck, Owen and macheda too.

Damn: he is the equivalent of "Carroll" for the scousers. Not worth a fraction of the price we bought him for!!!

9. UIR - Kagawa Powa

UIR - Kagawa Powa New Member

For me its the fact he is a top class player who when he is given a run of games tends to bring something to the team. He does slow the game down but sometimes you need that.

He scores goals, he makes assists and he is generally involved in our attacks when he plays. His technical ability is up there with the best at the club if not the best and his attitude is second to none.

How often do you see berbatov retain possession when 2 or 3 players surround him?

Some games hes not the player we need. When we need to be fast paced and direct. When we need to think more carefully about our play I think he is a good option.

10. merrysupersteve

Have to admit I am pleasantly surprised by the responses here. I can think of other forums where Berb is untouchable.

I am sort of in 2 minds about yesterday. Stoke are a solid team but we had never dropped a point against them before yesterday. So from that point of view it is 2 points dropped. But Stoke were very good and we were lucky in some ways to get a point.

Our away performances still trouble me. We only won 5 away last season and we are no better off from the 3 aways this season than against those respective teams away last season. I think we will continue to struggle on our travels and the lack of a midfield signing still baffles and worries me.

11. merrysupersteve

He does have ability but I think he got a grand total of 1 assist last year. Why? Because rather than use his ability to create, he seems to have settled into a pattern of getting the ball, holding it and playing a simple sideways pass. He doesn't stretch himself and he continues to slow down the play. And most worrying is the fact that he doesn't even seem to want to get in a position to score.

12. UIR - Kagawa Powa

UIR - Kagawa Powa New Member

True he seems to play very deep when you see him this season. I think its hard on him though having to play bits and bats because unlike Owen and Welbeck hes not an explosive quick player who can come on late in a game and change things. He needs to get into a rhythm. He did the same early on at Spurs but once he was playing every week and was confident he was brilliant. He showed it here 2. The fact we have such a good strike force means for someone like Berbatov, not being the player who can come on after not featuring for 3 or 4 games and make the difference, means hes going to run out of chances soon.

I believe hes good enough to play from the start week in week out if we accept for 2 or 3 games he might be a little off the pace until he finds him game but once found he would be a vital player in the team. Sadly in todays game, 2 or 3 games might be a little to many.

13. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Actually he got four assists in the PL, which is fair enough given he was carrying the main goalscoring weight in the league that season. Similar to Rooney in 09/10 when he was banging in the goals but only got five assists, his lowest ever number.

I agree that his lack of urgency is a problem at time, but in his first three seasons with us he's gotten a total of 62 goals and assists in the league in only 96 games. So he's obviously still contributing. I think he does still have a role to play, but would see him as more of a backup option. Imo the starting strikers should be Rooney and Hernandez / Welbeck, with Owen as a sub option if we need a late goal and Berbatov as a sub option if we are defending a lead and looking to retain possession or if we need to crack open a stubborn defence.

He doesn't quite fit our style of play, but then having a Plan B and being able to alter our style of play when circumstances demand is one of the main reasons we have been so successful when our rivals have often had access to similar quality players and more resources.

14. SAMOC

SAMOC New Member

We need to learn something, DO NOT buy players from tottenham, there best players look good when down there but are utter **** at any sort of decent level

Someone big buys bale he will not look like anything, same with modric same with VDV

15. merrysupersteve

Agree on all of that. Modric has ability but is he a game changer? In fairness, I would have asked the same of Silva a year ago. VDV is far too petulant and inconsistent to play for united. Bale is too injury prone and as it is back related is only likely to struggle more in future.

16. SAMOC

SAMOC New Member

Dont get me wrong they would all do well at a smaller club like arsenal or lvierpool, but there not top class and wouldnt do well at united or city

17. Manobear

Manobear I love cheeseburgers

Berbatov is Jesus reincarnated.

18. Areba Hernandez

Berba was very disappointing on Sat, as the senior Forward it isnt unreasonable to expect him to step up when Rooney is out but for me, he is the last player I would have played against Stoke(esp away) , as he lacks fight and drive, which I agree are basic fundamentals of a United Striker.I have always thought both Berba and Carrick were Serie A suited players and still beleive they would both excell there.

I thought one of the major problems on Sat was our midfield.We cannot hold on to the ball and as much as I admire Fletchers work rate, his posistioning and passing ability are poor.When Anderson(who was also poor on Sat) plays with Cleverley they alternate runs forward but when Fletcher plays he is all over the place which restricts Ando`s attacking oppertuinities as he has to sit and cover the enthusiastic Fletchers runs and inevitable loss of possession.Its like playing with Steven Gerrard without the goal threat.

So we have Berba with all the ability and little effort contrasted by Fletcher who has all the effort and little ability.I would happily sell them both along with Carrick as between them they lack the effort, ability and mentality to be considered starting players in a dynamic Manchester United side and at their stages of their respective careers if it hasnt happened by now it never will.

19. HendyMMA

HendyMMA Active Member

Hes about as much use as a pair of sunglasses on a fella with one ear...<ok>

20. bettingtipster

I think saturday proved that Berbs is not the player we really need! Im not going to slag him off.. he is a great player with great skill and abilty but he plays at his pace and his pace only which is very frustrating! the only real value he has to the current squad is that he will slow the game down in the final stages of a game if needed and this is why he doesn't fit in with the team any more! On saturday we needed a player who was going to fight and have energy, unfortunately we didn't have that and it cost us!