1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bending the knee is not sport.

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Woody, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

Cleveland indians have had to dump chief wahuu as their mascot as well

Edit: Just realised that from this season they will be called Guardians not Indians

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    Mackem-Tiz likes this.
  2. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I could understand that if they were called the Atlanta Savages ...

.... surely brave is a compliment.

3. Drugtester

Drugtester Active Member

How can you be so foolish. The term brave is just symbolic of the male ego trying to oppress all other sexes/genders, give your head a shake

4. Ozzymac

Can't wait til these woke muppets try to get us to change from black cats to summat like cats of an inderminate hue

5. Smug in Boots

<laugh>

Wow, there's some creepy bitter and twisted weirdos, on the internet, but you've managed to pack so many personal issues into such a short post ...

... and so rude.

You're so lost, up your own back passage, there's no hope you'll ever be found ...

... there isn't a rescue team capable of finding you and, tbh, I don't think many would want to try.

I've no doubt you're very sure of yourself but, from the outside, you just look ridiculous. You obviously live your life on various internet forums, where you bang your silly little drums, but only you can hear them.

rb92 and spirit of 73 like this.
  6. Zig81

Zig81 Well-Known Member

I thought it was a piss take mate, surely it has to be nobody can be that stupid, can they?

7. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

So did I, :emoticon-0136-giggl

8. Smug in Boots

Not many posts make me laugh out loud but that was a cracker.

This is what happens when people form little groups of angst and continually congratulate themselves on how righteous and superior they are.

There were many female warriors, including chiefs ...

... it's only harmless ignorance, of things outside of their limited knowledge, that makes people post such nonsense.

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  9. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

And me!

rooch 3 and Ozzymac like this.
  10. MrRAWhite

Just heard that a pub in County Durham called the Blackie Boy is changing its name after counter pressure. In this case I scan understand why, although the origins we’re almost certainly due to young men covered in coal dust.

Smug in Boots and Ozzymac like this.

11. Ozzymac

What colour will they rename the ball worth 7 points in snooker. Surely the white ball will need to be renamed as it's the one that strikes all the other colours.

Rascist in the extreme

12. Neil

Neil Well-Known Member

13. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Aye there’s a few Blackie Boys across the region. Guess they all follow suit.

It’s all a bit daft ain’t it.

14. MrRAWhite

. There were actual serious replies saying Blackie Boy was no different to Blacksmith’s Arms or Black Bull.

15. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Yes the era of golliwog etc has past into history now.. no need to rewrite history, but certainly learn from it and move on.

rooch 3 and TopCat_ like this.
  16. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

I'm not one for changing names willy nilly on the strength of appeasing the easily offended. But no matter how innocent the roots were in the naming of the pub, 'Blackie Boy' just sits on the uncomfortable side for me.

Just read that its in Newcastle and is actually called The Black Boy Inn. The Blackie Boy is more of a nickname. Nowt wrong with calling it the Black Boy Inn. A link to the fact its Blacksmith roots. But the local regulars will still refer to it as 'Blackie Boy.' If an out of towner over hears the use of the Blackie Boy, and not knowing the area, history etc, they might take offence. However, even with the name change the pub will always be referred to as the Blackie Boy, at least for the next generation or two I expect.

MrRAWhite likes this.
  17. dred

dred Well-Known Member

It isn't. Its a tribute to those young lads who worked the pit.
    What on earth is racist in that

18. LBW

LBW Well-Known Member

I’m in Cyprus with the family and some friends we haven’t seen since last year because of this pandemic, we got talking about all this BLM and Woke stuff and it got a little heated. Not in the manner you would expect though, they lived in Birmingham because of work commitments for about 15 years and reckon they were subjected to racism all the time they lived there. Both middle aged and white and from good working class backgrounds very much the same as myself and my wife. He said black on white racism is rife in those parts and nobody bats an eyelid when comments are made. I was actually calling him up on some of his comments until he went into detail about how his 25 year old daughter was treat by the “ natives “ as he put it. Until he moved down there he never felt remotely racist but now absolutely detests the Pakistanis. You have to experience it apparently to understand why he now feels that way. He has now moved home to the North East away from the cesspit that is the midlands, again his words. I guess what I’m saying is racism is not just a white issue but that doesn’t suit the BBC or Sky’s anti white middle class agenda so never gets reported on. I was shocked at some of my mates views but after listening to his reasoning I found it hard to disagree

Dancingstripes, Ozzymac and Zig81 like this.
  19. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

The word 'Nigger' was originally used as merely a description for a black man. 'Niger' is latin for black I think. It was only more recent when it was picked up as a derogatory term. So despite its benign origins we dont use it. The same could be said for the use of the word 'Blackie.' As a child in the 80's I would use the word when describing a black man, a word commonly used around our way, especially amongst children who didnt realise the offence it caused, but as times gone on we dont use it anymore because its become more offensive in society. Now I know that the name of the pub has more benign origins but the word 'blackie' has racist connections, follow it up with the word 'boy' and it just seems to make it worse. Now if I was an owner of a pub called the Blackie Boy, rather than having to explain the history behind its name every other week, getting pelters from the easily offended? If I was sitting there worried that I was missing out on the custom of black folk and folk offended on the behalf of black folk? I would just say '**** it, cant be arsed with this, gonna change the name.' If I was to pass this pub and saw it named the 'Blackie Boy' I would be like '****ing hell, I'm surprised they would still call it that in this day and age.' Like I said before, I'm not easily offended, I get angry at the rewriting of history in order to appease, and its a shame that such an innocent name based on a proud historical subject is having to be changed. But on this occasion, for me, totally understandable.

The Norton Cat and dred like this.
  20. MrRAWhite

It’s social change mate. Certainly its origins were not racist, but the language used is certainly deemed racist now.