1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread Belgian Grand Prix 2020

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Aug 27, 2020.

?

Who will Finish first?

Poll closed Aug 29, 2020.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Valtteri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sebastian Vettel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Charles Leclerc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Max Verstappen

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Alexander Albon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Daniel Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Carlos Sainz

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  9. Lando Norris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

I have come to the conclusion that it is Bottas's personality that is his achilleas. How many times has he started the season well only to be down after he is beaten, in even only one race, by Lewis. Inside he believes Lewis is better than him.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  2. happyal

happyal Active Member

I know I'm in the minority but I think that Bottas is being treated as a full No.2 at Mercedes in everything but name. I know they go on and on about the drivers are treated equal, but their actions says differently.

I think that if Bottas gets in front then they let him race, but they'll let Lewis attack. If Bottas is behind then I don't think they support him much. I know some of that is on him, and sometimes he has to force it (which he's never done) but the team always favour Lewis.

I think that Rosberg figured that out and forced his point a few times, with a few clumsy moves, but did force his way in contention of the WDC so it did work.

ched999uk likes this.
  3. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Justjazz likes this.
  4. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Rosberg was quick and could take the fight to Hamilton fairly regularly. He just didn't have the stamina to keep doing it sadly.

One and done. Better than Bottas it seems.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  5. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Rosberg seems happy in his decision, chilled out in his new life, from appearances.
    He will be able to tell and show his children he was the only one to beat the worlds greatest racing ever racing driver, in the same machinery, to the championship. Jenson and Alonso beat him too but not to the championship. I said it at the time, Nico seems more content, thereby happier, than Lewis. I am curious to see what Lewis does with his life post Formula 1. His life outside F1 seems quite private although I am not a social media addict (too busy in my own world) so I simply might not be aware.

6. happyal

happyal Active Member

Nico did beat Schumacher but it wasn't when the car was OP, they didn't challenge for the champsionship that year.

Justjazz and Big Ern like this.
  7. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I agree . I have been a huge fan of Valtteri . However even now I am thinking , no mate , mentally you are not strong enough . I wish you well I honestly do , but I think you will be lucky to see next season out in the MB .

8. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There's no reason not to put Russel in the car sooner rather than later, he clearly has talent and if he could pick up a trick or 2 racing alongside Hamilton that can only be a positive. I don't get what Mercedes are doing with Russell, at worst surely he would match what Bottas is doing?

9. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I'm not sure. Giving him a couple of years with Williams the pressure is off but he will be learning and Merc can watch him. Just look at Red Bull and their pressurising younger drivers isn't helping them at the moment...

I do quite like the 'new' drivers. They seem to have a great attitude i.e. they seem to engage with the media and tow the party line with a personality.
    I do think George should be in the Merc year after next if Lewis stays, which I expect. That way he can learn for a year or 2 from Lewis and then hopefully he will be beating him.

Justjazz likes this.
  10. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

They should put him in the old merc for a couple of seasons first.

11. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

They are being very sensible. Still, I’m certainly not the only one that can’t wait to see him in a competitive car.

Justjazz and ched999uk like this.