1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Beer and chips thread.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by canary-dave, Mar 6, 2016.

1. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

Half of Morgans mild in the back room of the Elephant and Castle in Lowestoft in 1957.My Uncle ran the Pub and thought that at 12 I was old enough to start on the good life!!

tricky1664 likes this.
  2. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Come on all you trendy hipsters, a valid question which at £4, £5, £6 and sometimes £7 a pint, could do with some answers. The odd ones I've tried tasted like a cross between nectarine and mango juice and no way could I finish a pint!
    Abbot or Broadside, however.... <cheers>

3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

4. 1950canary

The only two I tried were cold fizzy keg beers which is everything CAMRA was formed to oppose. I really would appreciate a definition of craft beer as I have yet to see one.

5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I've tried Adnams lager which is OK, but I still prefer a pint of Ghost Ship given the choice and NO way would I spend over £4 for a pint of beer in Norfolk!!!!

6. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Löwenbräu is already £4.50 in Cromer Red Lion :(
    Ales (up to six) all still £3.60 which is about par for the course.

JM Fan likes this.
  7. 1950canary

The Red Lion has always been brilliant since the grim days of the 70's when decent beer in Norfolk was as rare as a virgin in Essex. God bless that pub!

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  8. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

I remember heading back up here on a camping holiday from Essex where I was living in the 70s and the good beer guide was my atlas, bible, etc <ok> As I recall, Norwich had boogie all apart from the Plasterers on Cowgate.
    The rest was in the corporate CO2 driven hands of predominantly Watneys and Whitbreads <yikes>

(BTW, congrats to us - a thread that was started fairly tongue in cheek, as far as I can gather, has had over 100 replies, lots of groovy nostalgia, old photos...and no name-calling, rivalry (my local's better than yours, ner ner na ner ner) animosity and can generally be pronounced jolly good fun <cheers>)
    Right, minutes of the meeting over with - I'm off down the Red Lion <ok> <laugh>

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    JM Fan likes this.
  9. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

In some instances, very tasty! Innes and gunn put theirs through old casks of whisky, rum etc bloomin marvellous!

Bah!

10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Yes, my first foray into Norfolk was in the 70s and well remember Red Barrel, Tartan etc
    You beat me to it Cromer - I was just about to congratulate Dave for starting the thread!!!! <ok>
    I hope to be volunteering at the 2106 beer festival, as I have done for the past 2 years.

11. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I remember taking charge of the Margate pub, The Coxwain as a temporary manager, it was a Watney / Truman pub, chatting to the outgoing landlord, I said isn't it a shame that you can't get red barrel any lomger. He said, what do you mean, it was horrible stuff.

I said yeah, but if you ran out, you could piss in the barrel, no-one would ever know! <laugh>

JM Fan likes this.
  12. 1950canary

I agree with you about Innes and Gunn but they were there long before so called craft beer. Hence I ask again _ what is the definition of craft beer?

13. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

Hope to see you there then BH. I will be performing there this year, as I was last year :)

14. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

That's planning ahead! I don't know what I'm doing next week let alone in 90 years!?! (Pushing up daisys I'd imagine, unless medical science can keep me going well into my 13th decade!)

Bah!

15. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Well spotted on the typo General!!! <laugh>

16. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Just done a bit of surfing and Brewdog which seemed to be the first 'Craft Beer'I'd heard of in Wetherspoons pubs is actually brewed in Fraserburgh in Scotland and about 50 mikes due east of where I used to live (not far from the Chivas Regal distillery amongst others!!!).

This article does go on a bit, but tries to explain that it must come from a brewery that brews no more than 6 million barrels a year - http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/...ight&utm_medium=OnSite&utm_campaign=copyright
    Hope it helps, but it just leaves me more confused!!!!

17. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Yep I wandered past the Kimberley Arms all bordered up around Xmas time. Gone.

18. ilovedelia

ilovedelia Well-Known Member

About 14, a Stingo, in the Windmill, Sutton. Gone now!

19. ilovedelia

ilovedelia Well-Known Member

I know this pub is still there, 'The Brickmakers' Sprowston. But can anyone remember it before the road was widened and the roundabout put in? My Nanny & Poppa lived opposite and had their front garden compulsory purchased to widen the road, the pub was almost in their garden in those days. The greyhound track was next door to their house!

20. 1950canary

When I was still in my teens I used to meet my Grandad in that Pub before going to the dogs with him. The stadium was called Boundary Park and also contained a football pitch where City A & B teams used to play on a Saturday. I must admit that I have not been in that Pub since.