1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Be more like Lucas

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by G4rdToonArmy, Oct 30, 2019.

1. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Nice article about the kid giving Miggy the thumbs up after his miss at the weekend:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/i-wanted-him-keep-chin-17158501

His dad Liam said "'I asked him about it and he said, "He missed his chance and I wanted him to keep his chin up and keep working hard, so I was clapping and giving him the thumbs up'. "He said there were lots of people behind him shouting and screaming and saying 'you're rubbish', although that's probably not the exact word they were using. Lucas said 'I just didn't think that was very nice, he's playing for the team they support'."

While Miggy hasn't pulled up any tree's as yet, you can't question his work ethic and team work the lad gives 100% every game and I'm desperate for him to do well here and get up and running with a few goals and assists.

Good on the young lad as well and pleased to see he was rewarded with a trip to Little Benton to watch the lads train, some of our fans could learn a thing or two from the young lad!

HTL!

please log in to view this image

cronemeister and Tol3 like this.
  2. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain Well-Known Member

It makes me so angry hearing pundits and media talking about different players, and so on. We are setting up in a 5-4-1, in the hardest league in the world. When we get the ball, we are 60 yards from the opponents goal with most of their team between us and scoring. We do not keep the ball, play it around, look for openings.

There's something fundamentally wrong at this football club. How can a team like Brighton keep the ball, comfortably, on the half-way line and beyond, yet when we get it we're pressed and pressed into hoofing or making a mistake? How do they always seem to have an option? Every opposing team seems to play NUFC, keep the ball and attack. When we get it back, we rarely take off on a decent counter attack, because confidence is shot. What else would it be? Almiron will get about 3 or 4 chances to run at the defence in a match - the pressure on him making one of those count is immense. He's used to being at Atlanta where he probably get 12-15 opportunities to stretch the opposition. Is Josef Martinez any better than Joelinton? Not sure he is.

It's so broken and it's really, really painful to watch. The Man U game was an example where we were pretty good with and without the ball (though they were awful). But why are we just so bad at fundamentals of football? I just don't buy into the idea that this entire team is sub-par horsecrap. And I also don't think it's all Steve Bruce's fault - whether he's got the answers is another topic...

cronemeister likes this.
  3. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

To be honest the pundits on the TV generally recognise his value to the team. While they criticise his lack of composure when in on goal they see the work he does and credit him for it.

I definitely wouldn't drop him - just think he is another of the headless chicken types who’s feet are quicker than his brain. His problems come when he has time to think. Prime example was that fast break on the weekend where his speed got us into a great position and then he released the ball far to early.

We have too many of them now - Atsu, Almiron and St Maximin. We are badly in need of a creative midfielder, a Cabaye type, Think the elder Longstaff is a great player but he is not that creative yet. Matty is not there yet. I would actually look at using Shelvey selectively or even Ki. Trouble is most PL midfields are packed with workers and he tends to get overun. Trouble is if we start the next games with a midfield of two headless chickens and two stoppers we are going to end up with Joelinton isolated again.

4. cronemeister

cronemeister Well-Known Member

Bang on this. Gap between midfield and attack is massive. 5-4-1 does not work with the players we have and it needs to be changed. Rafa persisted with 1 up top for ages in either the same formation or a 3-5-1 and the football was ****ing awful to watch....but we beat Man City 1-0 woo-****ing-hoo with like 3% possession. I'm all for keeping the ball and play the percentage game but, we never seem to be able to do that when we're ****ing 1-0 up funnily enough and heaven forbid we actually get a second goal and have glimmer of hope of seeing a game out. I'd love to see bruce try 4-3-3 or the boring old 4-4-2. What we're doing now isn't working, or working the way he would like it to be so we need to change it! Keeping the same formation and swapping either longstaffs or both for Ki/Shelvey/Hayden is not miraculously gonna fix our problems, nor is dropping JoeLinton and/or Miggy and replacing them with Gayle, Muto or Crapsu. There is something else wrong....every ****er else can see it, why can't the people who are the only ones who can do something about it see it as well?

5. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

They've got sun glasses on?

:huh:

6. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain Well-Known Member

I'm not a tactical genius like Bruce, but if you start a game with 9 players within 40 yards of your own goal - and stay there, no matter what - the opponent can keep the ball comfortably around the halfway line. The odd press here and there achieves absolutely **** all - Joelinton would be better off standing still and doing stretches than chasing a ball being passed around 5 or 6 defenders/midfielders. The difference with other teams - and some are inherently better than others - is they press as a team. That means one goes to the ball, and other players rush the players who MIGHT receive the ball. It's done against us easily and often. And as we're not that comfortable on the ball, and dreadfully toothless in attack, the opposition don't really need to worry about exposing themselves to a 3 on 3 counter attack. When we do counter, we **** it up anyway.

I think it would be fixed by a couple of tweaks to the system we play and bizarrely enough think the first formation Bruce tried - which spectacularly backfired - is right - 3-5-2. We have a massive problem when we play Almiron/ASM wide, as the opponent forces them back and they become auxiliary full-backs, picking up the ball far, far too deep to have an impact on the transition into attack. Joelinton in turn becomes utterly isolated and we have no opportunity whatsoever to attack. The stats are damning and back this up. Jose Mourinho has been commenting on tactics as well, basically saying it's not all about possession - you can be in control of the match both with and without the ball. However, he adds clearly that unless you have a solid plan once you regain possession, then you're nothing but a defensive side. That's us. The plan of "9 at the back, get the ball and run" is going to work less often than it does work.

I'd like to see us move to proper wing backs, because at the moment we're playing 5 across defence with full backs. I'd like to see Almiron come into the middle with two defensive midfielders alongside him - probably Sean and Isaac. Then I'd like to see two up front, starting with a deeper lying ASM off Joelinton. I think these are small tweaks that would make us considerably more potent going forward. Something has to change, though, because what we're doing is ****e.

7. Captainpancakes

Captainpancakes Well-Known Member

yeah looked what happened at Leicester and Norwich when we changed !!!

how many times ? you can't just adopt a new style of play over night it's not championship manager this is real football. It will take coaching, the purchase of players and an opportunity to try it out in games. I would like to think over time we can change and I'm sure we will get games or chances to try things out maybe.

We didn't just beat City ! we finished 10th and then 13th last season having ended the second half of the season with more points than any outside the top 6.

all we need is a win and looking at who we have played and the results we have had I'm confident we will beat teams with the system we use .

what were you expecting from our first 10 games when you looked at our fixtures ? we have 8 points and I would say 12 was as many as even the most deluded fan could have hoped for, so I would say it's far more wise to see where we are after the west ham , Bournemouth and villa game rather than panic before we get a true gauge on our situation.

8. cronemeister

But we are playing some of our current players out of their natural position, so yes we may need to purchase one or two in order to change things but lets at least start with what we've got and playing them where they should be played for ****s sake! If we don't then how the **** are we ever meant to get an understanding of where we need to strengthen? Joelinton isn't a lone target man, he's not that kind of striker....never has been and never will be. If we bought him for that purpose we were ****ing stupid and we are getting what we deserve from him currently. Almiron shouldn't be playing out on the right wing so again we are getting what we deserve from him.....and credit to the lad he's giving 100% and some every game.

I'm confident we have the players to do reasonably well and play some decent football but it ain't gonna happen if we stick with how we've been set up to date. I don't think anyone would have complained about the 1-1 against wolves last week if we'd played the 2nd half the way we played the first but we didn't and thats the whole point. We don't need the ball to play well and that is our biggest problem at the moment aside from scoring more than 1 goal in a game and closing things out.

9. Captainpancakes

I don't think you have understood a word I said tbh

maybe try max right miggy left though because I agree miggy can't play right like he can on the left

10. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Edited your sig pic for you, hope you like it x
    upload_2019-11-1_12-47-18.png

Attached Files:

cronemeister likes this.

11. Captainpancakes

utter bollocks and just to be clear I vote on party policies not what I read in the paper

12. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

So you are going to vote for a party who want to renegotiate (again) the Withdrawal Agreement with the EU and then hold a referendum on whether the People agree with it or not but in that referendum campaign the Labour Party will campaign against accepting the Withdrawal Agreement that they negotiated?

13. Captainpancakes

I'm not just voting on the Brexit aspect for a start mate because I'm not as narrow minded and stupid as many might assume. If all you care about is getting out of Europe vote for your racist bigot and the Brexit party ! if you have a brain look at the manifestos of all parties and make your choice and respect to you , but don't ridicule me for my choice . It's not about winning your poxy brexit argument on the street , so pull you head out your own arses and look and the full picture.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  14. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

You said you voted on the policies. I was just interested in whether that was one such policy you were in agreement with? :)

I always look at the Manifestos of the main parties before deciding. Not that they usually count for much otherwise this Country would have been out of the EU based on what the parties were saying in their last Manifestos. Labour agreeing to hnour the Referendum vote being one such policy in the last Labour party Manifesto.

Flash likes this.
  15. Captainpancakes

you are clearly only interested in the Brexit and this latest comment only strengthens my belief . if leaving was such a good idea it would have be done !! go figure! also if you want out you can vote Brexit party and if it's truly the will of the people you can all be assured of victory.

like I said get your head out your arse and look and the full picture ! it's become more about winning a lunch time argument for simpletons and saying ner ne ner ner ner rather than it has about what is best for the country or which party represents their best interests more overall. I'm not interested on Brexit I' voting for all he other reasons !!! how many times do I have to say that to get it in your skull! if all I cares about was remaining I would vote liberal wouldn't I ?

16. Captainpancakes

I wouldn't worry anyway because the tories will win because the working class couldn't see a great opportunity if it was sucking their cocks.

17. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

Okay where is the money coming from to pay for the huge re-nationalization policy? Borrowed and payments made out of the profits the re-nationalized companies make. One problem. When was the last time a nationalized industry made a profit never mind sufficient profit to repay billions of pounds of borrowing?

That's a second Labour Party policy.

Try to avoid insulting language otherwise you may find people won't engage with you on the level you wish.

Also outside of the sound bites uttered by all parties which of Labour's policies are you stating persuades you to vote for them.

18. Captainpancakes

try not throwing stupid questions at me as if all I care about is your obsession with Brexit !!! i don't want to engage in that conversation it's a side issue now. labour are offering a second referendum, so that will allow this argument on whether leaving is still the will of the people to be resolved wont it?

I could go on all day, but aside the main reasons including the NHS which of course labour gave us I'm an animal lover and they will cease the badger cull and not only maintain the ban it delivered on fox and deer hunting , but will also follow up with the correct level of justice when the law is broken. oh and how about giving fans a greater say in how NUFC is run . Oh yes and football asside let's go after these tyrannical arseholes exploiting the poor , living in greed and breaking laws including tax evasion … bravo jezza.

19. cronemeister

Think we should change the title of this thread to Be more like Boris......gone a bit O/T if you ask me!

Munson. likes this.
  20. Captainpancakes

sorry groot a
    It was the green dinosaur again mate