1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

BATE vs Arsenal

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by white_gunner, Feb 14, 2019.

1. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

You lot will master bate within the first 25 mins and then relax for the rest of the evening .....

#i'llgetmecoat

TheBear and straycat_67 like this.
  2. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Eternal ban from the Arsenal board for this terrible joke!

P.S. is that you in your display picture?

remembercolinlee likes this.
  3. straycat_67

straycat_67 Well-Known Member

So why don't the CHAVS move their ****ing game time and who gives a **** about BT! ****s ;)

4. remembercolinlee

Nah...he is a toon fan...saw him on tv years ago wobbling uncontrollably after toon scored.
    I make him look anorexic so watch what you say cos although therest little chance I'd catch you, if I did you'dbe flattened <whistle>

BrunelGooner likes this.
  5. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

6. remembercolinlee

Could have always tried reading them <whistle>

7. TheBear

I've been too busy working and err.. trolling the Chelsea board.<whistle> Priorities.

8. remembercolinlee

<laugh>

TheBear likes this.
  9. BrunelGooner

Someone was telling me that because they've won the competition before, and as the bookies odds suggest they have a higher chance of winning it than us, they had priority over us.

Still isn't reasonable, but hey ho.

10. bobo_97

bobo_97 Well-Known Member

Any recommended stream ?

11. BrunelGooner

Team News:

Cech, Lichtsteiner, Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal, Xhaka, Guendouzi, Mkhitaryan, Iwobi, Ozil, Aubameyang

Looks like we're playing 4-2-3-1, which I am happy about!

Only thing I feel quite uneasy about is Lichtsteiner at RB. But that team is more than capable of smashing past this lot.

12. straycat_67

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  13. BrunelGooner

I know this might sound weird given we're 3-0 up and have been comfortable for the entire game, but I've not been impressed with us tonight. I actually think we've been quite poor. We've just been strolling for most of the game even after the early goal. There's been no drive or aggression to the game at all. It's all been pretty limp.

We've had 22 shots on goal, but our goals came from an OG and two set-pieces. Not really convincing, for me.

I want to give the players benefit of the doubt and assume they're conserving energy for the Southampton game, but I also wanted us to see us make a real statement of intent tonight. We just haven't done it.

BATE are truly an awful side who have offered nothing the entire game, which is why we've been so comfortable.

But on tonight's performance, we'll get steamrolled by anyone with a modicum of quality.

Not good enough at all.

14. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

One thing I will say is if we play one of the stronger teams left, I expect us to be more motivated, so I am not that worried about the strolling around we did today.

15. straycat_67

To be fair, we did "enough" without sparkling, 22 shots on goal and it could have been 5 or 6 nil on the night. 2 penalties that on any other night may have been given, good save from a Xhaka scorcher and both Auba & Ozil should have put away straight forward chances.
    So if we'd ended the match 5-0 would you be so frustrated?
    Totally understand your points, however we "can" play better and I believe we will stand up against stronger opposition. Glad to see the big Greek back and thought our Swiss pensioner did well at RB too.

BrunelGooner likes this.
  16. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

Interestingly, if you look at the stats between the two games, the pass success% for Bate went up, from 54% to 67% and Arsenal's remained the same at 87%, and our possession went down.

The significant difference was that our shots went up a lot and our shots on target doubled.

So our pressing was worse/less intense, yet still denied them more chances. And our possession, although it was lower, was more effective in producing chances. In short, we were better balanced on both sides of the ball. Even though the performance still wasn't good, that balance was enough to make the game comfortable.

17. TheBear

Was at the game last night. Performance was a bit flat but still comfortably won the game.

Guendouzi was solid as ever. Puts in a crazy workrate even in games like this.
    Ozil actually played pretty well - i'm hoping this whole Saga with Emery will light a fire under his arse.
    Cechs delivery is soo soo bad at this point. I refuse to believe Martinez or another youth keeper could'nt do a better job.

The main thing is we are crying out for a real playmaker. A Fabregas type player to sit in front of Torreira/Guendouzi/Xhaka. Alongside a top class centreback I hope thats the priority this summer.

18. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

I think you will not get your wish. My feeling is that Emery would like to rely on turnovers from pressing to create chances rather than a playmaker. I don't think that is a recipe for success, but as I used to say with Wenger, it doesn't matter what I think the team needs, it only matters what Emery thinks.

That Is why, he is going press-press-press and not playing anyone who contributes to offence at the expense of pressing. For him it is a win-win, you get attack and defense at the same time.