1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bassong set to be offered back to Newcastle?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by The Secret Ingredient, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Secret Ingredient

The Secret Ingredient Well-Known Member

Newcastle Could Bring Back Sebastian Bassong On Loan

Who will play next to James Perch on Saturday at Norwich is still unknown, which illustrates the problems Newcastle now have at center-back given Steven Taylor and Fab Coloccini are out inured.

Steven is likely to be out for the season, and it’s still not known how bad Colo’s injury is, but he could miss all the December fixtures.

It turns out that Pardew cannot recall James Tavernier from his loan at Sheffield Wednesday until the youngster has spent 28 days at Hillsborough.

Since he seems to have signed on loan around November 21st, that’s around December 19th, which is in two weeks time.

But another possibility which is being reported today, is that Newcastle could sign former center-back Sebastian Bassong on loan in January.

Sebastian moved to Spurs in the summer of 2009 for £8m from Newcastle, but he has been unable to hold down a first team spot at the London club and has played only 42 times for them.

That’s even though Spurs have had regular injuries to their top two central defenders Michael Dawson and Ledley King.

Bassong played 30 times in the relegation season, his only time on Tyneside after being signed for peanuts (£500K?)from FC Metz in August, 2008, and was easily our Player of the Season in 2009.

The Cameroon International can also play at left back, so he could be a target for Newcastle in January, but one or two new center-backs just must be brought in during January.

However, the difficulty now is who to play at center-back until Coloccini is fit, and the choices are not very good – not very good at all.

And so begins the obvious press links with our ex player.
    Personally i'd take him on loan for the rest of the season but i wouldn't sign him permanently in Jan.
    Would you have him back on loan?

2. Masanari

Masanari Active Member

lee_ryder Lee Ryder
    #nufc Would be surprised if Seb Bassong ended up back at NUFC, was offered to the club in the summer and move turned down

Does not look likely, although things might have changed now because of our injury crisis. Could do worse than re-signing Bassong.

3. The Secret Ingredient

like i said the obvious press links begin but the ones up till now have all been about us buying him,this is the first one i've seen about a loan.Buy him ...No
    Loan him ......mmmmm maybe

4. overseasTOON

overseasTOON Active Member

Wouldn't mind him coming back at all.

Still think he's a talented defender and to have him back on loan for the season would be very useful.

5. Marvo

Marvo Member

I'd imagine loaning Bassong would only occur if we can't get in our own players. We all know Ashley is tight with the cash, and bringing in loan players is just throwing away money really.

6. DuD

DuD Active Member

I think this would be a back up option if we still haven't signed anyone in the last few days of the transfer window.

We could do much worse than Bassong on loan.

7. The Secret Ingredient

this to me is the most interesting point

With our small squad why are we loaning players out with no recall clause?????

8. aginairrr

aginairrr Active Member

It's nothing to do with recall clauses. You can't recall any player loaned out to any club within the first 28 days. It is a general rule for everyone sadly.

9. Marvo

Marvo Member

To be honest I'm not sure how much Tavernier would help us now anyway - Okay, he's another body, but at 5'9 he's a bit on the short side to play as a CB in the Premiership (and has very little experience).

10. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

I'd be happy enough to see Bassong back on loan, I think he'd do a good job for us still.

11. je ne sais quoi

No. Harry Redknapp is trying to be nice to us so he can sign Krul and Tiote from us.

12. The Secret Ingredient

<doh>

13. The Secret Ingredient

a hell of a lot yes he doesn't have much experience but neither does santon who many would happily throw into the Norwich game out of position(myself included) but this is irrelevant due to arggnnrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs comment :)

14. Why aye Cabaye

Why aye Cabaye Active Member

Hmm, can't see it happening.

And if Harry wants any of our players we should play him at his own game and slap rediculous price tags on them. £100m for Tiote sounds about right in the Redknapp player valuation model.

15. aginairrr

aginairrr Active Member

16. aginairrr

aginairrr Active Member

Well now I'm confused. Was that 'slap on the head face' due to the ridiculous rule, or was it aimed at me for thinking my comment was stupid and incorrect?

Edit: You also spelt my name ever so slightly wrong...;)

17. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I've been against him coming back since his behaviour prior to his departure. Hugely disappointing given the backing he had from fans (we had a ****ing Bassong day the twat). I think there are plenty other option I'd rather pursue but the reality is he is very likely to be available and beggars can't be choosers.

18. The Secret Ingredient

19. Aldridge_Prior

Aldridge_Prior Active Member

How come no ome has mentioned Peter Ramage yet? <whistle>

20. overseasTOON

overseasTOON Active Member

Is he still at Cuepeeare?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.